So who is this FallingAlice? A brief history of the Planet

You know - this whole discussion would be freakin' awesome if we were all in a bar somewhere and didn't have to be anywhere tomorrow morning.

There'd be a whole mess of drunk bastards laughing their asses off by the end of the day. Except Hawg, who'd be in the corner hoarding his single malt gin or schlitz or whatever hoity toity $100 a sip drink he's drinking today.

Just goes to show you just how apt that old phrase 'someday we'll all sit back and laugh about this' really is.

Flagg Wanderer is sad that no one caught his subtle spelling change. Flagg Wanderer was lurking back then and knows what the Sex Poll was.

Ras thought you were talking about a Sex Offender from Poland.

there is a little bit of the curiousity thing going on around here. It would seem to be a good around the bar discussion based on the little info out. Too bad we all live in faraway places or a night of listening would be quite enjoyable

Flagg Wanderer said:
Flagg Wanderer is sad that no one caught his subtle spelling change. Flagg Wanderer was lurking back then and knows what the Sex Poll was.

I did and offered to bring my stack of ones

mikiemo83 said:
I did and offered to bring my stack of ones

The Cadillac Lounge is the place to meet. The women are always welcome there as well :D

God I hate when I drop my thoughts in late on a subject. I gotta say thanks to UT, Pookie and Hawg for keeping this board up when all seemed lost. I was around when this nice lovely little board suddenly turned into a war field 24/7. FallingAlice is THE pioneer here, made it all happen, etc. I appreciate that. I know I have said it over and over again but I cannot thank the people at this board enough. Not just the mods..But the posters.

How this board has faced tough times and the mods stayed tough and posters stayed alive is amazing. A total team effort. Thank you all the mods, and thank you for the posters who continue to make this the best Patriots board on the net.

BionicPatriot said:
God I hate when I drop my thoughts in late on a subject. I gotta say thanks to UT, Pookie and Hawg for keeping this board up when all seemed lost. I was around when this nice lovely little board suddenly turned into a war field 24/7. FallingAlice is THE pioneer here, made it all happen, etc. I appreciate that. I know I have said it over and over again but I cannot thank the people at this board enough. Not just the mods..But the posters.

How this board has faced tough times and the mods stayed tough and posters stayed alive is amazing. A total team effort. Thank you all the mods, and thank you for the posters who continue to make this the best Patriots board on the net.

Bio!

Thanks for weighing in. Where you been keeping yourself?

Back in Dec of 03 I was living in the Yahoo NFL chatroom and someone provided a link to the Planet. (Don't remember the yahoo screen name of the person, but I'm sure you'd all like to beat the crap out of him ;) ). I registered, then, sorry to say, forgot about it. Like I said, most my time was spent on Yahoo. But then Pats.com actually entered the 21st century so I actually started posting there daily. Not a lot of humor, not a lot of personality, but it gave me a place to rant. Well until I was warned. :p Then one day last summer all these freaks start showing up at Pats.com. They just wouldn't leave. I had them sitting on my front porch but eventually they drank all my beer and then watered my plants. But they intrigued me, kind of like a hideous creature or a car accident. So when they all left for their home planet I followed. Course, then I discovered that I'd already been there once. But now that I knew some of the personalities I stuck around. No lurking for this gal. Nope. Just jumped right in. Unforunately for me the Planet was going through some problems. My first 40 posts or so were erased. Quite a bit of upheaval. But I did not let that deter me for I had finally found a home. A place where people actually knew sarcasm. A place where I could rant and argue without getting a ruler on my knuckles. A place where the folks were just as screwy as me. Ahhhh... Home.

It wasn't long after that, that Alice departed so I don't know her well. I came over to the planet at the same time as a fellow pats.com poster (Iowa). I remember FA posting she was from Iowa and also a Hawkeye fan. I remember her switching her avatar from Hockey Lisa to Margaret Thatcher and then she was gone. I remember thinking though that it was great to find another female who actually knew what the hell she was talking about when it came to football. There aren't that many of us. Then I discovered there were more like me around here. :eek:

So to Alice who first pioneered the planet, and to all those pilgrims who followed her and helped settle this great Planet of ours... :toast: Where would we all be without you?? I cringe to imagine. :shake:

My off the wall notion to share just struck me like a half ounce hammer.

I troll under Agnt42 on most other boards. But only really hang on this one...Its usually just to visit the next victim of the week.

Last year I posted on Chiefsplanet. It was two weeks or so before the Monday night game that I had foru tickets too.:D

I posted once on Chiefs Planet under the same user name as this one, Which I may change due to it just seeming so uninspired by originality.
I said something to this effect....."we are going to come there...drink your beer.....Eat you food and beat your team.

Very light smack right?

Well this set off a tornado in the ovbviously darker parts of their planet and I got over 200 responses.

A lot of young blood over there is all I will say for now.

Its nice to have a oplace like this that I can always go home to....Even though I do stay away for sometimes weeks at a time.

Originally posted by mgoblue101415 I remember thinking though that it was great to find another female who actually knew what the hell she was talking about when it came to football. There aren't that many of us. Then I discovered there were more like me around here. :eek:

So to Alice who first pioneered the planet, and to all those pilgrims who followed her and helped settle this great Planet of ours... :toast: Where would we all be without you?? I cringe to imagine. :shake:

Reading FA's posts when I first started lurking encouraged me to pipe up, even if most of my posts don't relate to the game (I leave that for the X's and O's folks). I've always felt welcomed around these parts, and it's a great comfort now that I no longer live in the Northeast to read up on everything, Patriots-related or not. The level of intelligence, wit, sarcasm and humor on this board are rivaled by no other I've come across. I've met some amazing people on this board in person and am so grateful for all the hard work our founders and mods went through to get this place up and running, even during the bad times. You are appreciated more than you know.

:toast:

bideau said:
That was a great read, Hawg. Very nostalgic and emotional.

Then, a rat in a helmet appeared on site.

I really do miss the rat in the helmet. I realize that Anni wanted to spiff up a bit...

But maybe some of the more famous avatars could be placed in some avatar hall of fame page on the site...or just appear randomly throughout.

bideau said:

So Alice, this is your vision. We hope it's met your expectations. We really feel like we've just been taking care of it while you've been gone.

Well, first of all...it isn't my vision. Nor should it be.

It's the improvisational by-product of a really fun and talented community. Culture can't be planned. And personally, if I haven't made clear that I'm bowled over by the improvements then I need to say that. I am truly bowled over by the improvements.

I have most certainly been lurking for some time, and as I mentioned to Hawg off-line, I'm incredibly jazzed about the kinds of experimentation and development that the site has undergone. Beyond the technical and graphical improvements of the site itself, I love the fact of IG's forays into sports writing and Hawg's guest spots.

There's a reason why I view myself as strictly emeritus. The site has excellent leadership in place. You don't need me. And, honestly, it's in many ways a lot more fun to just be a poster. As I'm sure you know by now, being a moderator puts different constraints on you.

You know, when the turmoil of last summer hit, it really was a blessing in disguise. Hawg and I have talked about this on several occasions. As the nominal chief at the time, it was sort of my duty to draw a line in the sand and take a firm position with NoRespect. If I hadn't, I would have been selling Hawg and Pookie (and all of the posters out). Quite frankly, at the time, I felt that if I didn't take a hard position, then the community and site would just die anyway.

I really expected that it would ultimately work out. It did ultimately work out, but I was surprised by the short-term consequences of taking NoRespect on.

Bradyrocks said:
Well this set off a tornado in the ovbviously darker parts of their planet and I got over 200 responses.

The mothership (ChiefsPlanet) is a hoot. It is rare that a thread there does not go at least 3 pages.

FallingAlice said:
Beyond the technical and graphical improvements of the site itself, I love the fact of IG's forays into sports writing and Hawg's guest spots.

Did you ever listen to Hawg's radio interview?

He kicked some major ass.

BTW - The Rat in the Helmet is still around....he just needs to be found. That's a really good idea you had about the Avatar Hall of Fame - it's been bouncing around in Annihilus's head for a good while now too with a bunch of other sh!t that still hasn't gotten done. :rolleyes:

Short term lurker- Rookie registree here.

A month or so ago I found this site as I am always interested in different perspectives of people with similar interests, like the Pats.

So here I come to your Patriots site, see a Forum called Three Ring Circus - Tailgate, jump on and what's the first thread I spy but "What's everyone having for lunch today?"

(I know it's the off season & all but I still expected all hard-core, all X's & O's gab.)

To my delight did I find the opposite. I found a lunatic bin, full of talented, laugh-out-loud funny, clever, topical, twisted, witty and yes, sometimes sensitive whack-jobs... and I knew I found My Happy Place.

Every time I have come here I have found something that has made me laugh out loud

Having just found this Classic thread today, I now have a better understanding of how the site began and the roles some of you have played to make it what it is.

Wish I had read this thread first before registering and plunging into the game as I jumped in without introduction as it seemed you were all on crack which made me wary.

Now that I know about the famous "NR" Mod, I guess I missed out on being properly "roto-rootered".

So thanks for the History Lesson and Annihilus thanks for showing your "1st person side".

RoadGrader will now be leaving you to be scoping out further Planet Classic Threads of Glory.

Thank you for that, RG.

You have crystallized exactly what the Planet is all about. There are plenty of other sites where all you get is hard core Xs and Os, but football is about fun. When you go to a tailgate with a bunch of buddies, yeah you'll talk Xs and Os, but you'll also talk about anything else there is a common interest in, and have a damn good time doing it.

We always love to see new users who "get it" right away and jump right in. :)

RoadGrader said:
To my delight did I find the opposite. I found a lunatic bin, full of talented, laugh-out-loud funny, clever, topical, twisted, witty and yes, sometimes sensitive whack-jobs... and I knew I found My Happy Place.

Every time I have come here I have found something that has made me laugh out loud

Having just found this Classic thread today, I now have a better understanding of how the site began and the roles some of you have played to make it what it is.

Wish I had read this thread first before registering and plunging into the game as I jumped in without introduction as it seemed you were all on crack which made me wary.

Glad to have you aboard!

Your 'lunatic bin' description definately fits - some days more than others, but that's just the way we like it. :thumb:

Well, some of us anyway. The other guys just can't wait until training camp.

Annihilus agrees with you about the laughing out loud - the month of May has been really good for that around here. Everyone's surely punch drunk from winning all those Superbowls and having nothing to grouse around about.

Anyhow - Annihilus can only speak for himself, but he's certainly not on crack. That's what the six pack of Jolt Cola and bag of Snickers is for.

Back