What did YOUR grandfather do?

GFY1401 on 01-24-2008 at 12:20 PM said:
Edmund Seib .....................

My Great(x12) Grandmother (through the Udny/Uldneys) Matilda Corgon was the bastard daughter of a Bishop.

My Great(x20) Grandfather (through the Gray-Beauforts) was Edward I, 24th King of England and Hammer of the Scots.

In a strange twist of fate, my Great(x21) Grandfather (through the Bruces) was Robert Bruce I, 31st King of Scotland.

My Great(x39) Grandfather (through the Gordons) was some dude known as Eochaid IV the Venomous of Argyll.

My Great(x40) Grandfather (through the Clares) was Sveide: also known as Sveide the Viking. He was a Norse King born about 760.

It's funny you should post this. I have been looking into my roots for years and have a found a ancestorial link to King Charlemagne. Still trying to put the pieces together.

GFY1401 on 01-24-2008 at 09:20 AM said:
Edmund Seib was born in 1896 on the second farm that his grandfather established after coming to the U.S. from Germany in 1861. He enlisted to serve in WWI and was in Florida waiting to be shipped off to Europe when the war ended. He never left the states. He became a cloth-cutter for Chrysler and eventually worked his way into management while still working the farm. He married Clara Dewes (b. 1897) and they had eight children; the seventh (interestingly enough the only one born in a hospital) of which died at only a few weeks old. My grandfather died on Pearl Harbor Day, 1974: almost three and a half years before I was born. Grandma died in 1991.

Donald English was born in 1904 in a small town in Southern Illinois. His father left his family and moved to Grand Island, Nebraska, leaving his wife Sarah to raise three girls and a baby boy. After eighth grade my grandfather went to work odd jobs in the Whiting/Hammond/East Chicago area. After a few years he moved back home and met Eileen Clark (b. 1905), a young Catholic girl who was determined to enter the convent even against her own father's (a stout Irish railroad worker) wishes. Donald would send letters to Eileen while she was at school, but would include secret messages written in lemon juice. My grandpa eventually got the drift that she wasn't interested and besides, he was Presbyterian. He started working for a man named Ollie DeLiel in Vincennes, IN in his department store and took what he learned there and became a manager for J.C. Penney. Ollie also sponsored my grandpa when he decided to become Catholic. Meanwhile, Eileen had decided to forego her journey to become a nun and the two met again not long after. This time around she was very much interested and they got married and had five children. The third, Mary Catherine, died at the age of six: one year before my mother was born. The family moved all over the Midwest as my grandpa was put in charge of different stores: Minneapolis; South Dakota; Kansas City; and Union, MO. In addition to being a homemaker, my Grandma English served as, of all things, a substitute English teacher. He retired from J.C. Penney and moved back to Vincennes to start his own children's clothing store. It was while they were in Vincennes that my mom met my dad at a workshop for CCD teachers. My grandmother died on the Feast of St. Joseph, 1978: 33 days before I was born. My grandpa died in 1989.

My Great(x12) Grandmother (through the Udny/Uldneys) Matilda Corgon was the bastard daughter of a Bishop.

My Great(x20) Grandfather (through the Gray-Beauforts) was Edward I, 24th King of England and Hammer of the Scots.

In a strange twist of fate, my Great(x21) Grandfather (through the Bruces) was Robert Bruce I, 31st King of Scotland.

My Great(x39) Grandfather (through the Gordons) was some dude known as Eochaid IV the Venomous of Argyll.

My Great(x40) Grandfather (through the Clares) was Sveide: also known as Sveide the Viking. He was a Norse King born about 760.

Odd. One of my french ancestors from Canada, who married a Mohawk, was a bastard daughter of the Sun King of France... Which, if you're related to one of the royal families of Europe, you're related to all of them. Tracing back that lineage is interesting what you can find - for example, one of my lines from that woman goes back to the brother of Saint Nicholas...

Yeah, that's right. The same blood that runs thru Santa's veins, runs through mine... :thumb:

Ras* on 01-24-2008 at 11:31 AM said:
It's funny you should post this. I have been looking into my roots for years and have a found a ancestorial link to King Charlemagne. Still trying to put the pieces together.
One of my mom's cousins was big into genealogy, but there's only so much you can do from here. He spent a summer over in Scotland and was absolutely blown away by their archives.

You never know. We could be family. ;)

Claremonster on 01-24-2008 at 11:35 AM said:
Odd. One of my french ancestors from Canada, who married a Mohawk, was a bastard daughter of the Sun King of France...
Hey cuz! :wave:

One of my grandfathers fought in the pacific theatre and had a bunch of confirmed kills for the army. He became a Federal Meat Inspector.

My other grandfather was also in the pacific theatre in the Navy and he was a SeaBee. He went to work for the phone company.

Maternal grandfather was a Harris. Found out the family shortened it from Harrison to Harris. He's a direct descendant of 2 Presidents (Harrison).

My mom's father came to this country from Sweden in 1910 a 5yo just meeting his father for the first time. He grew up on the family farm in Rehobeth the youngest of 8 children. He became a master carpenter and cabinet maker and never totally retired. He lived to 87years old.

My dads dad didn't really hace an occupation. He tried alot of things. Traveling salesman,teacher, magician,newspaper reporter.

He wrote for a couple of magazines and even authored a couple of novels.He generally was a scheamer(sp?). He also was a raging alchoholic. Needless to say my grandmother was the main breadwinner of the family. Ironically she retired after working for a bourbon distillery in Louisville.

Maternal grandfather was in the military for a long time but never served in a major conflict (he used to train new recruits). He was also a very good hockey player and at one point was scouted for pro leagues but he turned them down to remain in the army.

Patneral grandfather I don't know much about. He fled Hungary during the 1956 revolution and married my grandmother, but they split during my Dad's childhood and I never even met the guy. Kind of sucks given I'm a history major.

Claremonster on 01-24-2008 at 12:50 PM said:
My mother's family is is Mohawk, with a frog in the woodpile. My dad's family is scottish thru and thru. Clan Donald, and they came from the Isles, so they are the hardcore highlanders decended from Somerled... (oops... should have been :thumb: )

I have confirmation that one of my ancestors was burned at the stake by the Iroquois Confederacy during the French and Indian War.

Ras* on 01-24-2008 at 10:20 AM said:
I have confirmation that one of my ancestors was burned at the stake by the Iroquois Confederacy during the French and Indian War.

Ouch, so in theory, the blood that flows thru your veins, might also flow thru mine, if they ate him after :D

Kidding. But anyway, I would assume the aforementioned ancestor was a missionary of some type, because we Iroquois are a bit, shall we say, short-tempered, and sometimes them priests got a little too pushy, I'm told. The ones who took the torture and burning in a stoic "manly" fashion were usually killed a lot quicker than the ones that screamed like girls. Those ones, the Iroquois would take their time with. Not sure why. Maybe we just respected the ones that "took it like men".

But dont' worry, Ras. They don't let us do that stuff anymore.
:thumb:

One of my ancestors was hanged for being a "patriote" (patriot :D ) and his name is on a statue in down town Montreal

Claremonster on 01-24-2008 at 11:16 AM said:
My best friend's father was a navy corpsman assigned to a Marine Division, and ended up in the first landing wave on Iwo...

That's how my dad ended up on Okinawa. He enlisted in the Navy and was selected to be a corpsman. The Marines used Navy guys for that job. But once he joined his platoon, he was Marine for life.

Claremonster on 01-24-2008 at 01:27 PM said:
Ouch, so in theory, the blood that flows thru your veins, might also flow thru mine, if they ate him after :D

Kidding. But anyway, I would assume the aforementioned ancestor was a missionary of some type, because we Iroquois are a bit, shall we say, short-tempered, and sometimes them priests got a little too pushy, I'm told. The ones who took the torture and burning in a stoic "manly" fashion were usually killed a lot quicker than the ones that screamed like girls. Those ones, the Iroquois would take their time with. Not sure why. Maybe we just respected the ones that "took it like men".

But dont' worry, Ras. They don't let us do that stuff anymore.
:thumb:

Actually, by all accounts, he was leading a scouting party and was captured, tortured and then burned at the stake. He and his fellow captives became matyrs for the cause.

bideau* on 01-24-2008 at 11:01 AM said:
That's how my dad ended up on Okinawa. He enlisted in the Navy and was selected to be a corpsman. The Marines used Navy guys for that job. But once he joined his platoon, he was Marine for life.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Marines love them some navy corpsmen...

My Paternal Grandfather was the Sergeant Major for Black Jack Pershing when they went to Mexico to try and catch Pancho Villa (1916 -17). He went to Europe after that.

Due his experience there, he had a few idiosyncrasies for the rest of his life.

Refused to eat bacon because of the canned version he had there.

Refused to ever get in an airplane based on seeing one crash there and thinking how flimsy they were.

Worked for the railroads after he got out of the Army.

My maternal grandfather died before I was born, but he owned one of the larger dairy businesses in Boston (his last name was Griffin and think it was named after the family).

Supposedly Hood put him out of business and my mother and maternal Aunts and Uncles refused to buy any Hood products for quite some time. That wasn't easy when you lived in Massachusetts in the '60's.

My paternal Grandfather was a brick mason. His father was a brick mason. My father is a brick mason. I am a brick mason. You get the idea.

My paternal Grandmother worked in many jobs, including answering phones for Ernie Boch, Sr., worked as a barber, now works for an insurance company.

My maternal Grandfather was a riveter for some company here in Braintree. He also served in the Navy during WWII.

My maternal Grandmother was a housewife for most of her life, but later on worked at a factory in Braintree which is no longer there.

My maternal grandfather was a barber who made excellent wine from his grapes. My paternal grandfather ran an automotive repair shop and serviced the cars for the whiskey runners/mob.
He was highly regarded as his specialty was Packards and Cadillacs which he modified to hold a lot of illegal booze.

Back