What did YOUR grandfather do?

This is probably the best thread ever.

Awesome stories.

I have recently been investigating my great grandfathers, and great-great grandfathers.

I may have to post some stuff here soon.

I have a great grandfather that fled Holland during the Nazi occupation.

I have a great-great grandfather that was a preacher for the Episcopalian church, but was ousted form the church because he impregnated a 17 year old girl. He was 40-something and married.

My grandmother was shocked to find out, because she had always been told that he was ousted from the church for unorthodoxy. Noone ever told her about the scandal.

When you hear the stories of your forefathers (and mothers), it makes the stories of these Hollywood twits look even more contrived and petty.

Well my one Grandfather worked for Chrysler for 45 years and retired with a sweet package. The other...Honestly I don't know. He was retired by time I was old enough to ask and when I did he would say he "took care of problems."

My grandfather was a draftsman.

Although he liked his job, his first passion was playing golf. He loved playing golf with his buddies.

My mom's dad was an Atticus Finch-like. A southern lawyer that defended blacks properly much to the unpleasantness of family, friends, and the community at large. He became a judge and moved his family up to MA to get them away from such an awful environment.

My dad's dad was a marine and also ran a crane at a quarry.

Equally proud of both of them although they couldn't have been more different.

Ok, unfortunately I never knew either of my grandfathers.

One died serving in the greek military, An officer.
One died a couple of days after receiving a flu shot. A steelworker. Coincidence? who knows,

My parents never told me much about either. Neither did my grandmothers.

My grandfather ( dziadek) on my fathers side was a builder as my father and 2 brothers of his brothers. Also like my father he taught his grandchildren all 40 of them how to survive and live off the land. The lessons he taught me were invaluable, I can’t imagine my life without him. I always wished my children could have met him but .... they got to met the next best thing my dad.....

My other dziadek i never got to meet he left his family when my mom was 7 so....

~Dee~

Finally learned the name of my other grandfather a few years back. He passed away in 2003, and this is the only picture I have, from when he was coaching youth basketball in Cleveland, Texas.

Don't really know much, aside from he left home at an early age to join the military.

1619993520290.png

Back