RIP Dan Pires 1956-2008

Did anyone here, know Dan personally and not just through the Planet?

Quite a few folks did, from training camp and games.

I personally only knew him through, obviously here, and emails. Gave me some great advice when I was thinking of going into sports journalism.

A helluva guy. And seriously, just one of the nicest all around people I've ever come in contact with.

He will definitely be missed by many. :(

And his family and friends are in my prayers. The world lost an amazing man today.

:(

This is a punch in the gut. He will be terribly missed. He was an excellent writer and he was a friend to this site and some of it's members.

UT that statement on the front page is so right, thank you for placing it there

Don't know what faith if any Dan claimed as his but, these words always comfort me

May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

BostonTim

Man, I just popped in to see what I've been missing, and I see this thread. :(

What a great poster he was! I, too, will miss his writings.

Didn't have the pleasure of ever meeting him, but I know several here did.

My condolences to everyone here who has lost this man, as a friend and as a poster.

What a shock.... :(

To see that front and center on the main page when I came on was indeed quite a shock. My condolences to his family and his friends. I did not know him except through his posts here, but I would open his threads eagerly as they were always insightful, well-written, and good natured.

RIP, Dan.

:( Always enjoyed reading his posts, I learned a lot from him. From what I saw of him, he was a great guy.

Prayers for peace for his family.

It's so hard to believe that this could be true. My heart aches for his family. I literally spoke to him every day at camp when he would stop by my spot and chat with me. Just as he was a "regular guy" here on the planet, he often would hang outside the media tent for most of practice chatting.

Camp will not be the same and I'll miss his smiling face and wit.

;-(

Oh no! He's been one of the best reporters to cover the Pats and also a very nice person. He will be sadly missed. :(

RIP Dan. Quick-witted, intelligent, insightful, and always polite: "Commie" was on my "must-read" list here.

My condolences to the family. Our Planet is missing one of its stars.

so young, so sad RIP Dan I didn't know him but my heart goes out to his family and all who knew him here .

Damn that sucks! I always enjoyed reading both his articles and posts here. Too young, what a shame. I am at a loss for words here.....

RIP Dan the Man. Always a great guy and with an accepting and respectful soul. :( Peace to him and his loved ones.

Man, I hate seeing someone so young go suddenly like that. To be on here this morning, then found at the track mere hours later. Kinda scary.

Rest in peace Dan. You'll be missed.

Horrible news.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Back