So you find yourself marooned on a deserted island.....

I like the other thread better, I could take Rose Mcgowan with me!:thumb:

Book: hmm, I'll agree and say the Lord of the Rings trilogy. It's long enough that by the time you finish it, you've forgotten half of what happened at the start.

CD: Low - The Great Destroyer.

Movie: Three Games to Glory II

Magazine: Cheri

Okay, seriously...

Book: Anne McCaffrey's "The Dragonriders of Pern". Technically, it's actually three books ("Dragonflight", "Dragonquest", "The White Dragon"), but you CAN buy this tome so technically it is one book by itself.

Movie: "Star Wars".

CD: "The Grand Illusion" (Styx)

Magazine: not sure I understand this one. Are we talking a single issue? Are we talking the collected works of one publication? Are we talking a monthly subscription that magically washes ashore on the 1st of each month? They're all different animals. If it's a single issue, there's one particular Playboy I fondly, er, remember from my youth. >) If it's the collected works, obviously National Geographic since it's been around so long (it would supply you with reading material for a century). If it's a monthly subsription that magically washes ashore, that one's easy: Patriots Football Weekly! :thumb:

Edgar Allen Poe - collected works

CD - J. Geils Band Greatest hits

Movie - Any PrOn movie with Kobe Tai will do

Magazine - ( a subscription, I presume) - I don't know....some kind of survival magazine.

Baron Samedi on 05-09-2007 at 08:43 AM said:
Movie - Any PrOn movie with Kobe Tai will do

Thanks a lot. I did a GooglePic search and now I have to work all day with those images in my mind. :4321:

JD10367 on 05-09-2007 at 08:42 AM said:

Magazine: not sure I understand this one. Are we talking a single issue? Are we talking the collected works of one publication? Are we talking a monthly subscription that magically washes ashore on the 1st of each month? They're all different animals. If it's a single issue, there's one particular Playboy I fondly, er, remember from my youth. >) If it's the collected works, obviously National Geographic since it's been around so long (it would supply you with reading material for a century). If it's a monthly subsription that magically washes ashore, that one's easy: Patriots Football Weekly! :thumb:

I was thinking single issue. Even in a hypothetical sense I'd be pissed if I was stranded on an island and a mailman came by to deliver my magazine once a month and didn't offer me a lift home.

Surprised I never responded to this

CD - Born to Run

Food - Pepperoni and Sausage Pizza from The Lynwood in Randolph with Sam Adams Octoberfest to Wash it down

Lover - I'll be boring and stick with my wife. I'm going to need to get along with this person when no one else is around.

Luxury Item - A 70-foot Sailing Yatch

Book - American Psycho

CD - "...And Justice for All" Metallica

Movie - "Star Wars - Return of the Jedi"

Mag - Maxim

Bradys Bunch on 05-09-2007 at 09:00 AM said:
Book - American Psycho

CD - "...And Justice for All" Metallica

Movie - "Star Wars - Return of the Jedi"

Mag - Maxim

Blasphemy.

JD10367 on 05-09-2007 at 08:47 AM said:
Thanks a lot. I did a GooglePic search and now I have to work all day with those images in my mind. :4321:

the pics don't do her justice!:thumb: :4321:

Benign Despot on 05-09-2007 at 09:05 AM said:
This isn't going to turn into a geek fight where you guys argue the merits of "Empire Strikes Back" vs "Return of the Jedi" back and forth until you have no choice but to duel to the death with plastic light sabers, is it?

God i hope so.

This isn't going to turn into a geek fight where you guys argue the merits of "Empire Strikes Back" vs "Return of the Jedi" back and forth until you have no choice but to duel to the death with plastic light sabers, is it?

For me the Star Wars debate ends at: The old ones = good, The new ones = bad.

It's actually a simple discussion. It boils down to this: the bigger the director, the less he listens to people. Who was going to tell Lucas that the Ewoks were a bad idea, or that Jar-Jar Binks should've been CTL-ALT-DEL? The same reason no one told the W Brothers to make the last two "Matrix" films without so much talking, or why no one told Tarantino that the half-hour of chick-conversation at the front of "Death Proof" wasn't necessary.

The last film was good only because it finished showing the genesis of Vader. But after "Empire" the three that followed were weak. The aforementioned Ewoks and Jar-Jar; too many goofy things (WTF was up with the two-headed announcer in the podrace in "Phantom Menace" doing the homey-girl side-to-side thing?); too many trips to the same well (e.g. the podrace = the speederbike chase in "Return Of The Jedi"); the incredibly pretentious and bad dialogue written for poor Natalie Portman.

You also have the inherent sequel dilemma. The first of anything is always the best because it's fresh and new. The ones that follow are usually just an attempt to cash in. If they're not, then usually they're just "more of the same" from the first film. There have been rare exceptions to this: "Empire" was excellent, and I'd put "Wrath Of Khan" in there as well. But, by and large, when it comes to sequels they're just not as 'fresh' as the original.

I would rank them:
1.) "Star Wars"
2.) "Empire"
3a.)(tie) "Return"/"Revenge"
5.) "Clones"
6.) "Phantom"

You sound all too familiar with the topic BD. Obviously the force is strong with you as well.

I was just breakin' stones really. It's his island.

But yes, for the record, Empire was BY FAR the best movie of the entire series.

Book - The Annotated Lady Chatterley's Lover - Deluxe Edition [pre-highlighted "good" passages]

CD - Dire Straits Greatest Hits

Magazine - Popular Mechanics [special "Make a Realistic Female from Any Indigenous Fruit-Tree" edition]

Movie - anything with Linda Lovelace in it as long as it's in IMAX

Back