*** Board Migration Begins 10/1 ***

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
As we all discussed originally in this thread, and I gathered further opinions over here with a poll, we are taking the steps to move our (meaning all of us) board off of patriotsplanet.com and to patriotsplanet.net, because of issues here and lack of response to them.

I would like to thank everyone for their help, and for making sure I don't sleep as well the next few days. I am grateful for your trust and I hope it serves to save the community for a long time. I am also thankful to Austin and the folks at Chiefsplanet for giving us our start and for hosting us for the past 18 years. It never would have happened without FallingAlice and Austin. I was given the freedom I needed to run the board and make changes to it. That kind of 'benign neglect' served us well for a long time. But as with all things, there comes a point where change must happen or death occurs. We can no longer overcome the hurdles here.

I will temporarily close the forums here and then open them back up. Once they have been reopened, no posts after that point will be migrated.

Below, I will paste my "to do" list and I will edit this post as things progress.

• [*]Make Coffee - complete
    [*]Close patriotsplanet.com board temporarily - complete
    [*]Download PM tables - complete
    [*]Download Thread tables - complete
    [*]Download post tables - complete
    [*]Open board and post message about posts not counting - complete

(the above steps will take an hour or two very early in the morning)
    [*]Drink Coffee - complete

[*]Upload tables - in progress - complete
    [*]Download backup of current Blue style on temp vb4 install - complete
    [*]Close .net board - complete

[*]Import tables - complete
    [*]Check board for functionality - complete - all posts and threads successfully imported!
    [*]Optimize the tables and update some counters - complete
    [*]Make and download final vb3 full database backup - complete
    [*]upload vb4 files - complete
    [*]Run upgrade - complete
    [*]Drink coffee - complete

[*]When complete, check board for functionality - complete
    [*]Check and fix forum links - complete
    [*]Update counters, saving rebuilding search index for last (may run all weekend, but I will leave it going while the board is open) - complete
    [*]Fix my profile - skipped to leave as is for now.
    [*]Import Blue style backed up previously - complete
    [*]Fix mobile style banner - complete
    [*]Delete all other obsolete styles complete

[*]Write welcome message and promote to article - complete, but need to work on the CMS more. Its weird.
    [*]Set secret code at BY1401's request - complete
  • Start making board more secure via [redacted] - in progress
    [*]Open board - complete
    [*]Close .com and place redirects - complete

[*]Copy old.net front page links and make articles new front page of .net with Anni's mem links. May need redirect. - complete
    [*]Populate new front page and configure - complete
    [*]Check for reported issues and make replies - complete
    [*]Triage issues and determine priority
    - complete
  • Create automated backups
    [*]Test email functionality - complete
  • Work on responsive mobile style - going to skip for now, the one included works well.
    [*]Work on Tapatalk - complete
  • Work on social media integration - This might be DOA after some additional reading.
    [*]Configure registration options and reopen new user registration - complete
  • Kill the bots
  • Search for mods including ones that are antibot for new user registration
  • Extended rep mod?
  • Other mods and other style choices
  • While checking new registrations and responding to issues
  • Figure out a way to prune user database of bots without losing legitimate registrations

That's a lot of stuff! Do you think we'll be able to log on tomorrow?

It's times like these I'm grateful for people like you, UT.

UT, I think you’re going to need more :coffee:

That's a lot of stuff! Do you think we'll be able to log on tomorrow?

It's times like these I'm grateful for people like you, UT.
You'll definitely be able to login back here after I complete the table downloading in the first couple steps.

Whether the new site will be ready by the end of the day remains to be seen. I'm optimistic with all the practice I had last week, but shit happens sometimes, and I can't change my internet speed.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Well, I am exhausted and think I am done changing things for the day. I even stopped updating the post above. But I think it went well for the first day.

I hope everyone adjusts and enjoys. As always, please feel free to report issues and make requests. i'll get back at it tomorrow. I've had this damn computer on my lap for 13 hours now.

Well, I am exhausted and think I am done changing things for the day. I even stopped updating the post above. But I think it went well for the first day.

I hope everyone adjusts and enjoys. As always, please feel free to report issues and make requests. i'll get back at it tomorrow. I've had this damn computer on my lap for 13 hours now.

Well the long day for you is deservedly done. I suggest folks take a close look at your to do list and note the myriad of completions. Miles to go and all, but I am staggered by all you have done. We are, it seems, up and running. I can't believe this has all happened so fast.

Your list doesn’t include have a cold beer.

FAIL!

I am not sure how many were aware, but on the old site when we had registration open, there were dozens of new accounts per day from spammers. It caused a lot of issues. I opened registration yesterday afternoon and had at least 50 registrations that I think were all spam except one. I just finished installing a mod that should curb that number by quite a bit. I have already been notified of a rejected user.

I updated the desktop style this morning. More white, less blue. I changed the dark blue color to be less purple. I think its okay, but its a bit weird to me to have so much less blue.

I have been fighting with emails all morning, trying to get the system able to send them. Many are rejected as spam and never even make it to the recipient. It's a work in progress. I've been able to send to my Yahoo email, but not my Gmail for example. As part of this, I have changed the contact email on the board, but I still monitor that box.

I mass-pruned the user database of users "awaiting email confirmation" that haven't been active in the last 365 days. I am going to look to see if I can run that regularly.

I found an arcade that is current, but I need to look into it more. It looks like it is premium.

I mistakenly moved the circle rep thread to the front page and made it an article. Good times.

I think I have successfully set automated backups of the db, but I will keep a close eye on it. Currently set for weekly.

Still unsure if I want to attempt the "push notifications" mod. If it works, its useful for those that like it. For others, it is almost like spam. Be like when you go to that random web page and you are assaulted by that popup that says "Would you like to be notified of blah, blah, blah?" It can be annoying. But maybe there are options to make it less intrusive.

That's it so far today.

I promoted my welcome email to be the first blog post. A blogging section is new for us as well, and I don't know how useful it is or if anyone would use it.

Back