Page 12 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 860

Thread: Why not Ron Paul?

  1. #166
    post tenebras lux tehmackdaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    IN the world, but not OF the world
    Posts
    19,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-o's link
    So basically, yeah. He'd let him die.
    No he wouldn't, but that perception is more Ron Paul's fault than anything else.
    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

    -MLK Jr.

  2. #167
    TACOS Steve-o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    L-dot-A-dot
    Posts
    26,313
    Quote Originally Posted by tehmackdaddy View Post
    No he wouldn't, but that perception is more Ron Paul's fault than anything else.
    I find it very sad that the man was able to raise tens of millions for Ron Paul's campaign, but nobody was able to raise more than $35,000 for his medical bills.



    I am certainly not blaming Paul for this fact, but I would think a man of his stature surely could do better than that.

  3. #168
    Vae victis Jaric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dagobah grow house
    Posts
    52,813
    Quote Originally Posted by tehmackdaddy View Post
    Here's a quick example of what I mean.

    With regards to the question about the 30 year old with no insurance, I thought Paul had a fantastic opportunity to explain his point of view and drastically failed. His entire argument was backwards and his demeanor was just odd (at several points I was unsure if Paul was actually going to answer a question or begin asking his own, such as "where am I?").

    What (I remember) of what Ron Paul said:

    Unfortunately he had already lost everyone with his explanation. How he should have answered is:

    Something like that.
    Dude....

    When are you running for office?
    Do, or do not. There is no try.

    Your rep message is blank because my phone won't let me comment. Assume it says "you're awesome"

  4. #169
    Give me liberty! BradyLady12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Where there are Rays of sunshine
    Posts
    24,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
    I find it very sad that the man was able to raise tens of millions for Ron Paul's campaign, but nobody was able to raise more than $35,000 for his medical bills.



    I am certainly not blaming Paul for this fact, but I would think a man of his stature surely could do better than that.

    The fundraiser was after he died, to pay his medical bills which were for two months in order to help his aged mother family pay the bills. There is nothing that says he was turned away for care because he lacked insurance. Or that this was the cause of death.

    It was the gay staffers from the Paul campaign who learned of Snyder’s unpaid medical bills, via a site to help his family. They didn't want anyone to identify them, but this lead to the donation drive. Kent's estate probably got sued for the rest. Daily Paul

    I remember when he died because it was over at Lew's, and I know people who worked with him, but I remember it was reported that he died from complications of AIDs. This may have been the viral pneumonia he got. He was also asked to cut back his work schedule on the campaign, including when he first became ill, but he refused because he believed in the cause so much. I heard he worked himself into the ground as a volunteer. So here is a man who worked tirelessly for the cause of liberty.

    Do any of the left wing sites exploiting this think he would have wanted it any other way? It was his own life to live as an adult gay man, a adult man without insurance and adult who wanted to work as a volunteer.

    Paul's argument by left-wing sites, who are exploiting this tragedy, are using what happened as a strawman to make it sound like he was turned away to die. Paul mentioned it was church hospitals, not corporate ones, who took in patients on a charity basis whereby people were not turned away. It wasn't about donations from a small number of people who knew the person. ( although that could also happen) Again, it doesn't sound to me like Kent was turned away for care, but rather died, and left a large unpaid bill.

    Another aspect is how our current socialist-patchwork system of healthcare and insurance has driven costs through the roof, the more govt got involved in it to make it more affordable. So you can't argue the healthcare issue in isolation, because a freemarket puts downward pressure on prices. Instead we have a corporate system because of govt intervention.

    Paul on healthcare bill:
    Frustratingly, this legislation does not deal at all with the real reasons access to healthcare is a struggle for so many – the astronomical costs. If tort reform was seriously discussed, if the massive regulatory burden on healthcare was reduced and reformed, if the free market was allowed to function and apply downward pressure on healthcare costs as it does with everything else, perhaps people wouldn’t be so beholden to insurance companies in the first place. If costs were lowered, more people could simply pay for what they need out of pocket, as they were able to do before government got so involved. Instead, in the name of going after greedy insurance companies, the federal government is going to make people even more beholden to them by mandating that everyone buy their product!
    "In government, the scum rises to the top."~ Hayek

  5. #170
    Give me liberty! BradyLady12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Where there are Rays of sunshine
    Posts
    24,073
    I also want to address some of these reports about it being Kent who was the one responsible for the Paul Campaign Money Bombs—or only one responsible for them.
    It was actually Trevor Lyman who as politically apathetic before this campaign. I got emails from Trevor separately since I was a contributer and he always pointed out how Paul cured his apathy. Kent was the campaign manager, but the campaign was criticized on how it was run especially the horrible ads. Some felt it was not run to actually win. I believe it was Kent who persuaded Paul to run though.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor_Lyman
    "In government, the scum rises to the top."~ Hayek

  6. #171
    Give me liberty! BradyLady12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Where there are Rays of sunshine
    Posts
    24,073
    I had, orginally written in the second to last post* about how people die in a socialist healthcare system too. Just govt bureaucrats get to decide that instead, because govt deals with their costs by rationing.

    The left's mantra used to be one was "free to starve" in earlier days, which is why so many are going hungry in North Korea. Now it's "free to die" on the healthcare issue. They also forget that if healthcare is bankrupting some people and/or killing them due inability to pay, then what would that do to a nation? The only logical conclusion is that it will run the nation into the ground taking everyone down with them. It just multiplies the worse aspects.

    * I had accidentally closed the window before I was done and lost what I originally wrote and had to start over.
    "In government, the scum rises to the top."~ Hayek

  7. #172
    Let me get right on that with thinking Brady's Bunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westerly, RI
    Posts
    7,894

  8. #173
    Russian Bot 762X54R Baron Samedi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Framingham
    Posts
    28,644
    This is extracted from a Mises article today. Bastiat is one of the fathers of Austrian philosophy, and one of Ron Paul's great inspirations....so I thought I'd bring it here.

    Here we have the media constantly bashing Ron Paul as an "extremist".

    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

    It is above all the moderation which plays a role in this army of sophisms.

    Everyone wants moderates at any price; we fear extremists above all since the center is definitely between the right and the left, we conclude that this is where moderation lies.

    Were those who each year voted for more taxes than the nation could bear moderates? What about those who never found the contributions to be sufficiently heavy, emoluments sufficiently huge, and sinecures sufficiently numerous the betrayal of the confidence of their constituents.

    And are those who want to prevent the return of such excesses extremists? I mean those who want to inject a dose of moderation into spending; those who want to moderate the action of the people in power those who do not want the nation to be exploited by one party rather than another.

    [T]he government tends strongly to expand indefinitely its sphere of action. Left to itself, it soon exceeds the limits which circumscribe its mission. It increases beyond all reason It no longer administers, it exploits. It no longer protects, it oppresses.

    This would be the way all governments operate if the people did not place obstacles in the way of governmental encroachments.

    [L]iberty should not be bargained over it is an asset so precious that no price is too high for it.

    [P]rodigality and liberty are incompatible.

    But where can there be liberty when the government, in order to sustain enormous expenditures and forced to levy huge fiscal contributions, must resort to the most offensive and burdensome taxation to invade the sphere of private industry, to narrow incessantly the circle of individual activity, to make itself merchant, manufacturer, postman and teacher. Are we free if the government subjects all its activities to the goal of enlarging its cohort of employees, hampers all businesses, constrains all faculties, interferes with all commercial exchanges in order to restrain some people, hinder others, and hold almost all of them to ransom?

    Can we expect order from a regime that places millions of enticements to greed all around the country increasingly spreading the mania for governing and a zeal for domination.

    Do we want then to free government from the plotters who pursue it in order to share out the spoils, from factions who undermine it in order to capture it, and from the tyrants who strengthen it in order to control it? Do we want to achieve order, freedom and public peace?

    Do we want the government to take more of an interest in us than we take in ourselves? Are we expecting it to restrain itself it we strengthen it and become less active if we send it reinforcements? Do we hope that the spoils it can take from us will be refused. Should we expect a supernatural nobility of spirit or a chimerical impartiality in those who govern us, while for our part we are incapable of defending our dearest interests!

    Electors, be careful. We will not be able to retrieve the opportunity if we let it slip we should not shut our eyes to the evidence if there has been no material improvement, have we at least then been given any reason for hope? No.

    Liberty are we going to destroy its work with our votes?


    Frederic Bastiat, 1830

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by benhamean View Post
    Who is this self-important instigating douche-bag, anyway?
    Dude, Baron has been a valued member of this forum for quite some time.
    Peace, Prosperity, Liberty, Human Rights, Natural Rights, Civil Rights, Property Rights, Sound Money, Free Markets, Sovereignty, the Constitution, the Republic.

    Shameless plug for my blog; https://puntyventures.com/

  9. #174
    TACOS Steve-o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    L-dot-A-dot
    Posts
    26,313
    How is Rick Perry a serious candidate?

    Perry speaking sounds like magnetic poetry falling from the fridge, and clanging on the floor.

  10. #175
    Let me get right on that with thinking Brady's Bunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westerly, RI
    Posts
    7,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
    How is Rick Perry a serious candidate?

    Perry speaking sounds like magnetic poetry falling from the fridge, and clanging on the floor.
    I don't get it either...but the media wants you to believe he is a 'front runner'. Why they haven't crucified him over the HPV thing makes no sense to me.

  11. #176
    Give me liberty! BradyLady12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Where there are Rays of sunshine
    Posts
    24,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
    How is Rick Perry a serious candidate?

    Perry speaking sounds like magnetic poetry falling from the fridge, and clanging on the floor.
    You wouldn't understand since you neither a Conservative or a Republican.
    "In government, the scum rises to the top."~ Hayek

  12. #177
    TACOS Steve-o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    L-dot-A-dot
    Posts
    26,313
    Quote Originally Posted by BradyLady12 View Post
    You wouldn't understand since you neither a Conservative or a Republican.
    Well, it's not the ideas. I can follow everyone else up there, just fine.

    But Perry, it sounds like he's just grasping random words sometimes, hoping for the buzzer to sound.

    Are you telling me that conservatives respond to that?

  13. #178
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Where the greats once drank beer and called others non PC names
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
    How is Rick Perry a serious candidate?

    Perry speaking sounds like magnetic poetry falling from the fridge, and clanging on the floor.
    It matters NOT who the GOP sends to the general, Bobo is DEAD, the country has had enough of his shit. At this point a dead cat can beat him.

  14. #179
    Russian Bot 762X54R Baron Samedi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Framingham
    Posts
    28,644
    Rick Perry is the GI Joe doll.

    Mitt Romney is the Ken Doll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by benhamean View Post
    Who is this self-important instigating douche-bag, anyway?
    Dude, Baron has been a valued member of this forum for quite some time.
    Peace, Prosperity, Liberty, Human Rights, Natural Rights, Civil Rights, Property Rights, Sound Money, Free Markets, Sovereignty, the Constitution, the Republic.

    Shameless plug for my blog; https://puntyventures.com/

  15. #180
    Give me liberty! BradyLady12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Where there are Rays of sunshine
    Posts
    24,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Samedi View Post
    Rick Perry is the GI Joe doll.

    Mitt Romney is the Ken Doll.
    That is perfect!
    "In government, the scum rises to the top."~ Hayek

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •