Random Football News

From Reddit:

Futos0E.jpg

Can somebody give me the Cliff Notes version of what this is all about? I know I'm late to the party, but I'd only heard minor rumblings and reading this surprised me.

What is the source for all these bombshells? Is there a more comprehensive version of it out there somewhere?

If there is any truth to this stuff (sounds like a hatchet job) then it certainly sounds like the Saints are in chaos, but it was a really fun read.

What is the source for all these bombshells? Is there a more comprehensive version of it out there somewhere?

Any video of the "rawdogging part? etc. etc.

The Seahawks release DT Tony McDaniel for salary cap reasons. Was scheduled to make $3M in 2015.

Poor guy just needs to feel loved:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jets-gm-supportive-noncommittal-richardsons-future-225523907--nfl.html

General manager Mike Maccagnan echoed the supportive sentiment of coach Todd Bowles and Jets players had for the defensive lineman, but was noncommittal on Richardson's long-term future with the team.''At this point in time and going forward, we'll see how it progresses,'' Maccagnan said Saturday.

Maccagnan addressed reporters for the first time since the 24-year-old Richardson was suspended four games by the NFL for marijuana use in early July and his arrest less than two weeks later in Missouri after he was road racing and going speeds up to 143 mph. He was charged with resisting arrest on July 14, according to police reports, with three passengers in his car, including a 12-year-old boy.

He hid the arrest from the team and his family - all of whom found out when media reports surfaced Thursday.
''Todd sort of said this the other day and I'm going to agree with him,'' Maccagnan said, ''we do worry about Sheldon in terms of the decisions he has made off the field.''
View gallery

New York Jets defensive end Sheldon Richardson walks out to the practice field before the start of t …

Richardson had a loaded gun under his driver's side mat, and the car smelled of burnt marijuana, according to the police report, but the Jets player faces no charges related to those details. Richardson was issued traffic summonses and ordered to appear in St. Charles County Circuit Court on Aug. 31 for arraignment on the charge of resisting arrest, a class A misdemeanor. A conviction on the charge is punishable by up to one year in jail, and/or a fine of up to $1,000.

Richardson has apologized to Maccagnan, Bowles, his teammates and his family - which found out about the arrest when the Jets did.
''It's not about words right now,'' Maccagnan said. ''It's about actions, not necessarily actions on the football field. It's how he handles himself, and that's about as sincerely as I can frame it.''

While Maccagnan and the Jets were ''very disappointed'' by the latest incident, Richardson will remain with the team and practice until his suspension starts at the beginning of the regular season. Maccagnan said the team didn't consider sending Richardson home.

''The thought process was to keep things consistent with Sheldon,'' Maccagnan said, ''and surround him with a good environment, which hopefully can be helpful for him and we'll go from there.''

View gallery

New York Jets defensive end Sheldon Richardson stretches with teammates at their NFL football traini …

Richardson was the AP Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2013 and quickly established himself as one of the up-and-coming playmaking defensive linemen in the NFL. He has 11 1/2 sacks, a safety and two forced fumbles in his first two seasons - but there is uncertainty as to when Richardson might play again.

He was suspended by the NFL on July 2 for violating the league's substance abuse policy. Richardson's arrest could be in violation of the league's personal-conduct policy, meaning he could face an additional suspension. Maccagnan said the league, which is investigating the arrest, would handle the punishment - which might not happen until the legal process plays out.

''I wouldn't say I'm angry or upset,'' Maccagnan said. ''It's just one of those things you have to deal with.''
Richardson is signed through the 2016 season, and Maccagnan wouldn't speculate as to what the future holds for the defensive lineman with the franchise.

''Based on everything so far, we like Sheldon quite a bit,'' Maccagnan said. ''To me, I'm going to let this thing play out. Time will tell. There's nothing on our end where we sort of predetermine that. So, we'll see how this progresses.''

Ravens S Matt Elam injured his biceps. Could miss the season if it's a complete tear.

Poor guy just needs to feel loved:

Maccagnan addressed reporters for the first time since the 24-year-old Richardson was suspended four games by the NFL for marijuana use in early July and his arrest less than two weeks later in Missouri after he was road racing and going speeds up to 143 mph. He was charged with resisting arrest on July 14, according to police reports, with three passengers in his car, including a 12-year-old boy.

He hid the arrest from the team and his family - all of whom found out when media reports surfaced Thursday.
''Todd sort of said this the other day and I'm going to agree with him,'' Maccagnan said, ''we do worry about Sheldon in terms of the decisions he has made off the field.''

Richardson had a loaded gun under his driver's side mat, and the car smelled of burnt marijuana, according to the police report, but the Jets player faces no charges related to those details. Richardson was issued traffic summonses and ordered to appear in St. Charles County Circuit Court on Aug. 31 for arraignment on the charge of resisting arrest, a class A misdemeanor. A conviction on the charge is punishable by up to one year in jail, and/or a fine of up to $1,000.

Road racing. Wee hours of the morning. Going 143 miles per hour. Loaded handgun in the car. 12 year old in the car. Smell of burnt marijuana in the car. No mention of any other arrests.

I have no idea how the justice system in this country works.

Can somebody give me the Cliff Notes version of what this is all about? I know I'm late to the party, but I'd only heard minor rumblings and reading this surprised me.

If there is any truth to this stuff (sounds like a hatchet job) then it certainly sounds like the Saints are in chaos, but it was a really fun read.

The pain pills, mollies, alcohol, I heard through the grapevine was part of his year long suspension and why it wasn't more aggressively fought by the team. Ya know keep it quiet. Don't know if it's true just a rumor at the time but heard he might be worse now so you can do the math. Me I'd like more concert stuff but they still let Irsay run a team just saying. Apparently letting some air out of a ball is way more detrimental to the shield then drug and addition.:shrug:

~Dee~

I surprised jets didn't do the smart thing. Cut Sheldon Richardson for going 143 mph with his 12 year old in the back seats . Turned off his headlights to evade the cops .

I surprised jets didn't do the smart thing. Cut Sheldon Richardson for going 143 mph with his 12 year old in the back seats . Turned off his headlights to evade the cops .

Here's the thing...

What Adrian Peterson did was despicable, but accepted in parts of this country. He crossed a line, but that's about it. The story gained major traction because it's sexy and the media could destroy him without even trying.

Ray Rice got reamed, as he deserved.

We all saw what happened to Tom over absolutely nothing, because again (with the NFL's help and guidance) the media didn't have to work hard to sell the story and shit all over Brady.

Aside from Rice though, Richardson's offense is easily the most dangerous and alarming on the list above. He put every driver on the road in danger that night by driving under the influence and at speeds nearly double the established limit on most highways in NA. Doing so endangered the life of a child. He also endangered the lives of the officer and everyone in the vehicle (including the kid) when he reached for the gun. Evading the cops also shows a clear pattern of criminal intent.

This is exactly the sort of image that the NFL should NOT want associated with its league. And yet, he'll probably walk away with the weakest punishment of all listed above.

Junior Galette was released and got pissed so he spilled some coffee when the door hit him on the way out the door.

New Orleans Saints, in a not so shocking move, told embattled linebacker Junior Galette that he will be released before training camp. Galette signed a new contract last fall, and The Saints will have to swallow nearly $18 million of his salary. To take that kind of dent in the salary cap and to lose their best pass rusher on the roster, the New Orleans Saints must feel true animosity for the linebacker. The feeling is certifiably mutual; on Saturday Galette took to Twitter to take out his frustrations and make some serious but odd accusations.
Junior Galette

The New Orleans Saints’ breaking point was the emergence of a YouTube video of Galette striking a woman with a belt in a beach fight near Miami in 2013. He had also faced a domestic violence charge for a separate incident that was later dropped. However, Galette’s relationships with his teammates had already appeared to disintegrate within the locked room as well even though he was performing well on the field. His 22 combined sacks in 2013 and 2014 were the most in a two-year period since La’Roi Glover had 25 in 2000 and 2001.
After signing his $41 million contract extension with the New Orleans Saints, Galette lost the respect of coaches and players around him because of a poor attitude. Although he was named one of the team’s captains, last year during a preseason game he allegedly got in a fistfight with teammate Brandon Deaderick. The pair allegedly had another locker-room altercation after the team’s loss to the San Francisco 49ers in November.
This story does not end with Galette simply being released. No, after Galette said that the Saints’ decision to release his was “the worse call they ever made,” he went off the rails on Twitter. He apparently used his girlfriend’s Twitter account (after deleting his own) to rant about Saints head coach Sean Payton, other members of the Saints, and the organization as a whole.
The tweets directed at the New Orleans Saints have since been deleted, but most were captured by screenshot. Most tweets were NSFW, so I will summarize them below in a SFW manner:

• Implied that Kenny Stills and Kenny Vaccaro were in a relationship
  • Said Marques Colston is washed up but a good guy
  • Said the Drew Bress is still a good QB but is losing strength. He also accused Head Coach Sean Payton of passing the blame for Brees’ failures
  • Said that he was feuding with Cam Jordan, because Jordan was paid first
  • Said Payton applauded him for fighting Deaderick, and that is why he was appointed as a team captain.
  • Generally passed the blame for all of his mistakes
  • Accused Payton of being addicted to pain pills, molly, and alcohol, also accusing him of showing up to the practice facilities under the influence
  • Said the New Orleans Saints will not win more than six games next year
  • Said that he verbally agreed to a $7 million deal with a division rival
http://isportsweb.com/2015/07/28/new-orleans-saints-released-junior-galette-on-rampage/

Here's the thing...

What Adrian Peterson did was despicable, but accepted in parts of this country. He crossed a line, but that's about it. The story gained major traction because it's sexy and the media could destroy him without even trying.

Ray Rice got reamed, as he deserved.

We all saw what happened to Tom over absolutely nothing, because again (with the NFL's help and guidance) the media didn't have to work hard to sell the story and shit all over Brady.

Aside from Rice though, Richardson's offense is easily the most dangerous and alarming on the list above. He put every driver on the road in danger that night by driving under the influence and at speeds nearly double the established limit on most highways in NA. Doing so endangered the life of a child. He also endangered the lives of the officer and everyone in the vehicle (including the kid) when he reached for the gun. Evading the cops also shows a clear pattern of criminal intent.

This is exactly the sort of image that the NFL should NOT want associated with its league. And yet, he'll probably walk away with the weakest punishment of all listed above.

I hope they have revoke his drivers license. Let's see how the commish hands this. He proven to be soft on anything not football related.

Back