“It’s True” – Rich Eisen on Brady’s Criticism of NFL’s ‘Defenseless Player’ Rules

I'd like to dial up the way back machine and return you all to the time of Tebucky Jones.

The big hit vs good tackling? Proper tackling is ALWAYS preferred.

If I dial it back a little further, the hit that paralyzed Daryl Stingley was completely unnecessary, absolutely dirty, and unpenalized under the rules at the time. I am not a fan of retuning to the wild west. Have things gone too far? Maybe, but waiting for a player to be carted off on a backboard is not really enjoyable.

My question for Tom, does his "good olde days" idea extend to the rules that protect QBs from blind side head shots and knee hunting? The same "it's the offenses job" argument applies to this as well.

the NFL takes the majority of the blame, which is probably unfair as high school and college football probably doll out the majority of the damage, regardless the sport will have to continue to change.

I mean, when I think of Tom and this sort of issue I think about the 43-40 Pats-Chiefs game where their defender had him dead to rights but he let him go, probably because he was afraid of getting a roughing the passer call, and Tom waltzed right into the end zone.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOwJqMp48Y4

Obviously I'm happy it happened that way, but if I take my partisan Pats fan blinders off he should have absolutely been sacked.

Don't think this was Brady specific, seems to be on the topic of the rules and to my eyes, many players get jitters around the QB now ever since, who was it the Cleveland or Cincinnati QB? drawing a blank here, Carson Palmer? had his leg taken out hard.

Last edited:
Don't think this was Brady specific, seems be on the topic of the rules and to my eyes many players get jitters around the QB now ever since, who was Cleveland or Cincinati QB?drawing a blank here, Carson Palmer? had his leg taken out hard.
Palmer. After that hit, the rule was made that you could no longer hit a QB below the knees. I actually like that rule as the QB is so defenseless while throwing and so many QBs were taken out with low hits. All the other QB protections rules IMO are ridiculous.

Yeah, to clarify I didn't mean to imply that Brady himself was the only one defenders are afraid of getting a roughing the passer call on. I mean all QBs. Remember when Clay Matthews did a perfectly clean tackle and got a roughing the passer call? That type of shit.

Perhaps one of his greatest strenghts. Best I ever saw at NOT doing that.

Back