“It’s True” – Rich Eisen on Brady’s Criticism of NFL’s ‘Defenseless Player’ Rules

NSPatsFan

I'm disrespectful to dirt.
Reaction score
I'm Down From Canada and they think I'm slow Eh?
I hope that it's OK to post this in the main section and not the Brady one, because I think the discussion isn't so much about Tom but the wider issue of player safety and the changing face of penalization in the NFL.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_tSQl_uI0M

From a football standpoint I agree with Brady 100%. I think that it's the offense's responsibility to protect their players from being hit by the defense, not only for safety but also for simple ball security.

But, from a human standpoint I've moved past my desire to see big hits. I'd much rather see solid, fundamental tackling. Bring a guy down without trying to kill him. I don't like seeing anyone get hurt whether it be from my team or other teams, especially with big hits to the head. And I freely admit that I have enjoyed this type of play in the past, and that there is a part of me that still does. Seeing Michael Floyd absolutely obliterate that poor Dolphins bastard in Miami a few years back is satisfying to watch. But I would be willing to give that up in the name of making the game safer. Also, I think that it would make the game a more skillful affair for defensive players.

I feel the same way about Hockey. I'm Canadian so I'm legally required to love hockey. (They shove you out on an ice floe if you don't.) But I've come to enjoy watching the women's game more than I enjoy the men's because there's no hitting or fighting in it. It's a more skillful and fast paced game.

But, that's just my bleeding heart progressive view on the matter. I'm not hating on anyone who loves a good bone jarring hit.

I hope that it's OK to post this in the main section and not the Brady one, because I think the discussion isn't so much about Tom but the wider issue of player safety and the changing face of penalization in the NFL.

From a football standpoint I agree with Brady 100%. I think that it's the offense's responsibility to protect their players from being hit by the defense, not only for safety but also for simple ball security.

But, from a human standpoint I've moved past my desire to see big hits. I'd much rather see solid, fundamental tackling. Bring a guy down without trying to kill him. I don't like seeing anyone get hurt whether it be from my team or other teams, especially with big hits to the head. And I freely admit that I have enjoyed this type of play in the past, and that there is a part of me that still does. Seeing Michael Floyd absolutely obliterate that poor Dolphins bastard in Miami a few years back is satisfying to watch. But I would be willing to give that up in the name of making the game safer. Also, I think that it would make the game a more skillful affair for defensive players.

I feel the same way about Hockey. I'm Canadian so I'm legally required to love hockey. (They shove you out on an ice floe if you don't.) But I've come to enjoy watching the women's game more than I enjoy the men's because there's no hitting or fighting in it. It's a more skillful and fast paced game.

But, that's just my bleeding heart progressive view on the matter. I'm not hating on anyone who loves a good bone jarring hit.

I agree with everything you say here, and doubly so on changing. Maybe I'm just older, but hits that I thrilled at by guys like Eugene Wilson and Rodney Harrison now make me cringe. Also, I was affected by seeing Matt Stevens in a wheelchair. I used to applaud him as a 'human torpedo" and was very upset when BB didn't protect him in the expansion draft. Now...things are just different. I was very sad to see him wheel out of the tunnel when they had all those old-timers back.

Caveat: I didn't read the article after reading what you said. The idea of a QB who contuinually threw his hands up for a flag to be thrown when he was knocked to the ground to say it is up to the offense to protect defenseless players is just wrong. He didn't feel the offense should protect him from being lightly rapped in the helmet, so why say they shouldn't shouldn't throw flags on hits that do serious damage.

Not that I want QBs to get hurt. I don't. I just feel it is a hypocritical thing to say and will let it go at that.

Not sure I follow Tom on this. These are two distinct issues, right?

1. Eliminating unnecessarily violent play from the game
2. Playing smart, prepared, fundamentally sound football

Those two things might have some overlap, but they're not entirely mutually dependent by any stretch.

Tom references a break-down in OL protection bailed out by a roughing the passer, but the missing piece of key info is: Was it a legitimate RTP? Only way to know is to see the play.

I'm sure there were fundamentally sound and sloppy teams 15, 20, 25 + years ago, just as there are now.

I agree with the OP that unnecessary violence that serves no purpose and involves no technique/skill should be removed from the game. The game is changing (for the better IMO).

The women’s game is very enjoyable to watch (my daughter plays) but it is neither more skillful nor more fast paced than a men’s game.

anyone remember this game?? :oops:

brady.gif

This is really interesting. Tom played a lot of years when the rules were different so his perspective on these newer defensive rules is insightful. I never thought of the rules in terms of them enabling the offense, specifically the QB to get away with making mistakes because they are actually counting on the defense getting a flag. I have seen the type of plays he is talking about where you see the line or QB literally blow the play and make a terrible throw and the defense is right there and smacks the receiver and boom - flag. This is what I have been talking about in terms of the league making it criminally easy to pass the ball. But to Tom's point, it is also creating bad habits for the offense and hurting the quality of the game. I have noticed this too but I am north of age 40 so I believe I am old fart to the people marketing the game. I know the young folks love today's NFL but of course, they don't have the 80s and 90s to compare it too. IMO, 90s football was the most exciting football I have ever watched.

This is really interesting. Tom played a lot of years when the rules were different so his perspective on these newer defensive rules is insightful. I never thought of the rules in terms of them enabling the offense, specifically the QB to get away with making mistakes because they are actually counting on the defense getting a flag. I have seen the type of plays he is talking about where you see the line or QB literally blow the play and make a terrible throw and the defense is right there and smacks the receiver and boom - flag. This is what I have been talking about in terms of the league making it criminally easy to pass the ball. But to Tom's point, it is also creating bad habits for the offense and hurting the quality of the game. I have noticed this too but I am north of age 40 so I believe I am old fart to the people marketing the game. I know the young folks love today's NFL but of course, they don't have the 80s and 90s to compare it too. IMO, 90s football was the most exciting football I have ever watched.
The OP made a strong argument as to why his thoughts are appropriate to a thread other than your personal playpen. For that to be a safe exception you should probably stay in your playpen.

Cheers

Tom Brady should supply all sperm for all human kind going forward.

The OP made a strong argument as to why his thoughts are appropriate to a thread other than your personal playpen. For that to be a safe exception you should probably stay in your playpen.

Cheers
Please. Stop already with the PTSD ... my post specifically focused on the state of the game per Brady's comments and my opinion on how the game has changed via the rules.

Please. Stop already with the PTSD ... my post specifically focused on the state of the game per Brady's comments and my opinion on how the game has changed via the rules.
Pot calling kettle back. I won't expect anything less from a Bitter Brady fan. Even with your own forum. You continue to make a Ass out of your self.

When did Brady forget how to speak English? That was like listening to Gronk speak.
Thankfully Rich Eisen managed to make it all the way through and translate it for everyone. Brady's point (I think) is mostly correct, but holy shit that was brutal to listen to.

Back