10 Sports Truths

DarrylStingley

Boston Sports
Reaction score
I hold these truths to be inviolate:

1. The BB taping was not a big deal. Bad judgment to continue after the NFL memo. Bad getting caught. But in terms of competitive advantage and impact on games, it was not a big deal.

2. David Ortiz's cheating is not a big deal. It's bad that it happened. Cheating is never good. But when everyone is doing it, pointing to one player and saying "Got ya!" "tainted" or whatever is beyond dumb.

3. 2004 Red Sox remains the most amazing, unique sports story in my life. Not because I'm a Sox fan. 2007 was great but it's great like 2008 Cs was great and SBs 39 and 39 were great. Between the 86 years and the 0-3 comeback, and all the post-season drama that came along with it, nothing really compares to 2004 (though I know many Pats fans will say that they enjoyed 2001 Pats more, and that doesn't contradict my point, as my point is uniqueness, not individual fan enjoyment).

4. Johnny Damon is a tremendous douche for signing with the MFYs after he said he would not and while knowing that signing for that team would thoroughly annoy many of his former fans. That the Sox did fine without him doesn't make him less of a douche. Adam's bad decision isn't in the same stratosphere as Johnny's.

5. Bobby Orr is the greatest, most dominant hockey player who ever lived. Gretzky was close. But no one controlled the whole game like Bobby. No one combined offense, defense and toughness like Bobby.

6. There are no sports fans anywhere as mean spiritied, hypocritical and entitled as NY Yankee fans. We will see this graphically tonight. They will chant "19-18" and hammer Ortiz, all the while conveniently ignoring that every champion in the PEDs era had plenty of cheaters on it, they're own "Dynasty" teams had multiple cheaters and Alice the Wussy is an admitted cheater.

7. Grady Little made the single worst managerial decision in Boston sports history. Bringing Pedro back after 7 grueling innings and then leaving him in all the way through Posada was criminally stupid.

8. Ben Dreith was either on the take or wildly incompetent. Either way, he gave the Raiders a playoff win over the Pats, and the Tuck Rule game doesn't make up for that. The Tuck Rule was called correctly. The Pats were lucky as hell to get the call and that the rule exists. But it was called correctly.

9. That there is no salary cap in baseball is a joke. Forget the Yankees for a second. The Red Sox should not be able to have a competitive advantage over more than half the teams in the game because they're richer. It's stupid.

10. The Patriots were better than the Giants even though the Giants played and coached better on that day.

Either comment on those, ignore this thread, hurl insults at me or list your own 10 truths.

I need a cigarette (and I don't smoke).

I still maintain that Giants could never have beaten a NE team with a fully healthy Tom Brady given an infinite amount of tries.

The talent gap between the two teams was enormous and NY had the good fortune that Brady had no lateral movement and NE lost their best blocking back and OL lynchpin.

Said another way, if NY had as much go against them in one single game NE wins by a minimum of 40 points. That's right, a minimum of 40 points.

Give the Giants their due. Brady had nothing to do with that loss, it was the fault of Matt Light and the traffic cones dressed as o'linemen who lost that game. They all collectively played the worst games of the year and it cost them.

As bad as they were, Brady still put them on top with a minute to go and if not for a horrible non-holding call on the "miracle" pass, we'd have four titles today. Oh well, FML.

I hold these truths to be inviolate:

1. The BB taping was not a big deal. Bad judgment to continue after the NFL memo. Bad getting caught. But in terms of competitive advantage and impact on games, it was not a big deal.

When I read that Dungy acolyte Herm Edwards KNEW ABOUT THE TAPING WHILE IT WAS GOING ON and simply waved at the camera (you know...the guy who when he faces a tough question from the press shrieks HELLO YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME and when queried about making the playoffs through the back door starts shrieking and waving his confirmation letter from the commish that they are in...in other words, Herm is a very ...dramatic.... individual)...thereby treating it with COMPLETE AND UTTER NONCHALANCE...that alone should tell people everything they need to know about exactly how much of an "advantage" it is. Or how uncommon (as in NOT) it probably was.

And yes, BB broke the rule and should have been punished so it isn't about excuses.

If the tuck rule was called correctly, NE would have been given an auto-1st down and been placed 15 more yards up field.

Baseball needs a salary floor and ceiling. Revenue sharing is such BS.

Give the Giants their due. Brady had nothing to do with that loss, it was the fault of Matt Light and the traffic cones dressed as o'linemen who lost that game. They all collectively played the worst games of the year and it cost them.

As bad as they were, Brady still put them on top with a minute to go and if not for a horrible non-holding call on the "miracle" pass, we'd have four titles today. Oh well, FML.

That's kind of my point. Giants better that day (barely); not better overall.

If the tuck rule was called correctly, NE would have been given an auto-1st down and been placed 15 more yards up field.
Seriously? I didn't know that the officials had booted the penalty phase.

Seriously? I didn't know that the officials had booted the penalty phase.

Well, Charles Woodson came flying in (left his feet) high leading with his forearm to Brady's helmet. And they didn't call it (possibly because they legitimately didn't see it. It was snowing or something).

I think most people would have ignored it had it not been for the emphasis on "blows to the QBs head" that year.

EBF's totally right, it should have been a penalty - but I can also understand them missing the call.

9. That there is no salary cap in baseball is a joke. Forget the Yankees for a second. The Red Sox should not be able to have a competitive advantage over more than half the teams in the game because they're richer. It's stupid.

Having a salary cap in any league is a joke. If there's a "rich team/poor team" issue, that's about revenue, not expenses.

Having a salary cap in any league is a joke. If there's a "rich team/poor team" issue, that's about revenue, not expenses.

Well when the ownership groups cry foul and promote really fun catchphrases like "parity" it becomes a problem when things like "revenue sharing" are installed to fix it---not as you suggest, washing their hands of it and forcing owners to figure out their own way to compete in a free market. :shrug:

Well when the ownership groups cry foul and promote really fun catchphrases like "parity" it becomes a problem when things like "revenue sharing" are installed to fix it---not as you suggest, washing their hands of it and forcing owners to figure out their own way to compete in a free market. :shrug:

ARE YOU TRYING TO OBAMIFY SPORTS?

LOOK IT IS A JOKE no need to go off on a political rant

The OL were lost because TB didn't play like TB because of the injury. No lateral mobility=no using the best pocket presence in NFL history to sidestep & give your lineman the upperhand in their blocking battles= linemen looking like cones with their hands on their dicks.

This...people never realize that brady while getting killed in that game, 6 sacks, hit 23 times, threw 50 passes and didnt throw a pick, with all that pressure. Even after that still put the team ahead with 2 minutes left. No, people can say what they want, but we didnt lose that game because of brady, and he would never use an injury excuse as to why they lost either. Oh and DS, I agree on most of your points.

Also, I could not agree more with DS about "cheating" in sports. This steroids thing makes me laugh, because I don't think it makes athletes better. Conditioning-wise, I think it helps recovery and keeps them fresher. But that's about it. Spygate...we've been through that exhaustingly, but somewhere in the archives here I spelled out how improbable it would be to actually have an effect in-game (i.e., seeing signals-->reacting accordingly on the field.) Borderline impossible.

1. The guy had on the Patriots jersey in plain sight. The NFL just wanted some parity, and so they took away a first round draft pick from the pats. It was a 'made up' rule.
2. Ortiz is a Teddy Bear. I'll keep him on the Sox anyday.
3. 2004, it was a very good year.....
4. My Yankee loving brother said Damon has learned the 'Yankee Way', and has class now that he wears the Pinstripes.
5. Gretsky had 215 points in 1986. But he did not take over the game like Bobby Orr.
6. We (red sox) have shut up the yankee fans. They got nothing. Nothing. I sure hope the Sox win 3 out of 4, because that could change in a heartbeat.
7. Bill Lee should have started the yankee/red sox 1978 playoff game. Or so he says....
8. And Sam Bam should have motored for the first down, prior to the Raider's 'drive'. And the Pats tight end Russ Francis was mugged after that also...he would have had a first down.
9. There should be a salary cap.
10. The Patriots choked in that game, and the Giants were 'on the ball'. The better team won that game, fair and square. And that game was the chance for immortality. Not a good sign for the future of the Pats.....but I'm still a fan...

Nah, I'm a member of the indifferent party. It's like all of the other parties, except we don't care. ;)
yeah I am a part timer...at times I care but I flip over both sides of the fence to find what works for me

----------------

10 sports truths

1. Bobby Orr is a sports God - not just hockey but sports in general.

2. BB is brilliant - I could care less about spygate.

3. Tomase is a douche.

4. I just do not get into Nascar but can understand others love of the sport.

5. Danny Ainge has the right guy coaching this team - Doc may not be the greatest X's & O's guy - similar to Tito - but he gets the team all playing the way he wants. This team requires an ex-player with some Cache to lead them

6. Tito - same as above

7. The Bruins may be moving forward but Ownership still sucks

8. Sox are smart with building from the farm system up

9. Theo does not have a clue what make-up of an athlete is required to play SS

10. SOX PLANET RULES :poke:

This...people never realize that brady while getting killed in that game, 6 sacks, hit 23 times, threw 50 passes and didnt throw a pick, with all that pressure. Even after that still put the team ahead with 2 minutes left. No, people can say what they want, but we didnt lose that game because of brady, and he would never use an injury excuse as to why they lost either. Oh and DS, I agree on most of your points.

If you read between the lines in some of MD's posts about that game, it seems that Brady actually has mentioned how limited he was in that game.

And aren't you the one who talks about how games would have played differently with Brady over Cassel? Now somehow the game wouldn't have played differently with health Brady over injured Brady? :huh:

Back