14 years ago

Copied this out of another thread to make a new one. Just read this article. Interesting to think about now.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nQOaT7TRirY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Belichick on starting Brady the next week:

“I don’t think we’re talking about John Elway here, but I don’t know how many of those there are. He’s got a good NFL arm,” Belichick said. “I really don’t think I’m going to be standing here week after week talking about the problems that Tom Brady had. I have confidence in him.”

That game was memorable for other reasons as well. It was the first game back following 9/11. There was already a lot of emotion in the stadium. Of course, at the moment, none us knew how badly Bledsoe was hurt and how great Brady would become. All we knew when we left the stadium was that they were 0-2 and the franchise QB was hurt.

True Confession time.

I was a Bledsoe apologist.

When he was injured I remember thinking "Now all those nitwits calling for Micheal Bishop will see what Drew meant to this team.

Little did I know.

I realized the error of my ways around the Rams regular season game (yes a loss). My eyes told me the Bledsoe critics were right. With the game on the line Brady made the plays that Drew never seemed to make.

True Confession time.

When he was injured I remember thinking "Now all those nitwits calling for Micheal Bishop will see what Drew meant to this team.

Little did I know.

I realized the error of my ways around the Rams regular season game (yes a loss). My eyes told me the Bledsoe critics were right. With the game on the line Brady made the plays that Drew never seemed to make.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I was a Bledsoe apologist, but I wasn't fully convinced until XXXVI was over.

I think it was kinda cool that Drew got to be a part of the AFC Championship game (despite his best efforts to give that one away too).

True Confession time.

Little did I know.

Me too, and I don't think I ever made it a secret. I was a mostly convert during that same game too (although I was fired up when Drew Bledsoe came in in the AFCCG and started rifling passes around).

Funny how a loss, in a game that dropped you to .500 with 6 to play - was such a turning point for literally everyone, the coaches, the team, the fans.

Who knew losses bred confidence?

dammit! I missed it

Happy belated Mo Lewis Day.

Copied this out of another thread to make a new one. Just read this article. Interesting to think about now.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nQOaT7TRirY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Belichick on starting Brady the next week:

“I don’t think we’re talking about John Elway here...”

He was right...Brady is MUCH better than horseface!

True Confession time.

Little did I know.

Me four.

In fact, I can still remember a day talking about it with Hawg at work. Never really knew him well other than hey how ya doing. But I was wearing a Bledsoe old blue jersey during Bradys run and he approached and asked what I felt of Brady continuing to start despite Bledsoe healthy.

I remember spouting some crap about the kids doing real good but an Pro Bowler shouldn't lose his job to injury or some crap. He listened. Then walked away.

Older and wiser.

Me too, and I don't think I ever made it a secret. I was a mostly convert during that same game too (although I was fired up when Drew Bledsoe came in in the AFCCG and started rifling passes around).

Funny how a loss, in a game that dropped you to .500 with 6 to play - was such a turning point for literally everyone, the coaches, the team, the fans.

Who knew losses bred confidence?

Didn't Mike Martz say after the game, "That's a damn good team there. Don't be surprised if they make it all the way to the Super Bowl" or something like that....?

Probably the smartest thing he ever said....

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I was a Bledsoe apologist, but I wasn't fully convinced until XXXVI was over.

I think it was kinda cool that Drew got to be a part of the AFC Championship game (despite his best efforts to give that one away too).

I thought Bledsoe threw a pretty decent TD pass in relief of Brady.

Am I mis-remembering something here?

In any case, yeah, Drew Bledsoe:NFL::Wally Pipp:MLB

Edit: Nope, I ain't mis-remembering.

This might be worth watching again, if you have about half an hour to spare.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8vEYZldnRz8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I had forgotten a few things:

1. Troy Brown was a Beast in that game.
2. Vinatieri missed a 50-yard attempt that would have iced the deal.
3. Bledsoe wasn't half bad. He put 10 points on the board, and strung together enough first downs in those last two drives to eat the clock.
4. Remember the days when Belichick fielded a top-three defense and only expected Brady to be a reasonably competent NFL quarterback?

My favorite quote in the article:

Bob Kravitz: "The Patriots, who stunk when Drew Bledsoe still was in possession of all his internal organs, will be woeful with somebody named Tom Brady."

This must have been a miserable 14 (and counting) years for him.

Back