2 part question. Do they retire #54 and does it happen this season?

retire which if any jerseys

• Retire Tedy's but not Willies

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Retire Willies but not Tedy's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Retire neither jersey cuz they don't deserve it

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Retire neither jersey cuz we are running out of Linebacker #'s

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Retire both Tedy and Willies jersey this season at halftime at home.

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters

sonsofkraftybob

Mmmmmm, feet! Nom, Nom, Nom.
Reaction score
As for the first part, if they retire #54 they have to retire #55, no? I mean they both have 3 rings. But McGinests' stats are pretty good in the sack category.

If they do retire it and giver him a nice cushy job in public relations or maybe as a LB coach or something, will they have a ceremony this season? That would be a cool game to go to.

How about retire them both at the same time...Willie is retired now so he could make the trip.

Lets make a poll!

gawd this is so hard :(

if I vote: Retire Tedy's but not Willies is that because Willie is black? :huh:

if I vote: Retire Willies but not Tedy's is that because Willie is black? :shrug:

if I vote: Retire neither cuz they don't deserve it is that because Willie's being black may have rubbed off onta Tedy? :blink:

so I actually voted: Retire neither jersey cuz we are running out of LB #s :thumb:

but in the back of my mind was maybe we haven't retired Troy Brown's #80 on account of he's black ROFL

but then I realized they's A LOT of popular players #s the Pats will prolly not retire because they can just hang their representative career jersey #s in the NE Patriots HOF | Presented by Raytheon :)

None of the above.

IMO, IF they retire it, it won't be this season, but down the road (possibly when they retire Troy's).

I voted to retire Tedy's, only because he is my all time favorite Patriot, but the reality is that we are running out of numbers.

I think they will have some type of ring of honor, it will be hard to retire the many numbers that desrver it.

#12 is the only slamb dunk IMO.

None of the above.

IMO, IF they retire it, it won't be this season, but down the road (possibly when they retire Troy's).
so are you saying that Willie's #55 won't be retired on account of he's black?

if they don't retire it, I would like to think it's on account of Willie played on a team that Dawsonstouchesmeinback routes for, the dumb stump :shake:

The team has already stated that only NFL HOF members will get their number retired. As great as Tedy was, he was a long way from that level.

Even if they don't officially retire it, I don't see them assinging it to anybody.

Considering they might waltz a dozen linebackers through the roster by season's end, they might need to keep #54 handy "just in case" for at least this year. :)

As for the first part, if they retire #54 they have to retire #55, no? I mean they both have 3 rings. But McGinests' stats are pretty good in the sack category.

If they do retire it and giver him a nice cushy job in public relations or maybe as a LB coach or something, will they have a ceremony this season? That would be a cool game to go to.

How about retire them both at the same time...Willie is retired now so he could make the trip.

Lets make a poll!

I don't think I would retire either one, but I certainly would retire Tedy's before I would retire McGinnest's.

The team has already stated that only NFL HOF members will get their number retired. As great as Tedy was, he was a long way from that level.

I think he goes in. Like I said in another thread, there are several players in the HOF who's stats indicate good but not great careers that are in by virtue of having won championships. Lynn Swann comes immediately to mind.

Think about it, during their run the Pats have played smart, opportunistic defense with the hallmark of having been able to change on the fly even during a particular series. Who was the defensive 'QB' during those years?

Tedy is a HUGE part of the Pat's recent championship run. He goes to Canton. Don't bet against it.

There not going to retire the there jersey. They have not retired the Jerseys of the two greatest WR in pats history. The Best TE in pats history.

No. Sorry, but as much as I love Tedy, Troy, Willie...you retire HOF type players. Of guys that were constantly dominant. Brady. Hannah. Tip. Etc.

Tedy and Troy had unmistakable and unmeasureable impact on the franchise, and should be honored, inducted into the NEPHOF, and embraced as Patriots for life. But they shouldn't have their numbers retired. Again, just my personal qualifications.

I think he goes in. Like I said in another thread, there are several players in the HOF who's stats indicate good but not great careers that are in by virtue of having won championships. Lynn Swann comes immediately to mind.

Think about it, during their run the Pats have played smart, opportunistic defense with the hallmark of having been able to change on the fly even during a particular series. Who was the defensive 'QB' during those years?

Tedy is a HUGE part of the Pat's recent championship run. He goes to Canton. Don't bet against it.

Tedy was very good in 2001, terrific in 2002, near dominant in 2003, dominant in 2004.

And then he had his stroke.

He was ascending and would likely be a strong candidate, but his play from 2005 on just wasn;t anywhere near good enough, particularly considering that he was a part-time player for the first 4 years of his career.

Tedy was very good in 2001, terrific in 2002, near dominant in 2003, dominant in 2004.

And then he had his stroke.

He was ascending and would likely be a strong candidate, but his play from 2005 on just wasn;t anywhere near good enough, particularly considering that he was a part-time player for the first 4 years of his career.

I agree. I love him. Just, not HOF-worthy.

There not going to retire the there jersey. They have not retired the Jerseys of the two greatest WR in pats history. The Best TE in pats history.

they won't officially retire them, they just won't assign them.

#80 & #54 get retired next year or the year after, #55 plays on.

Brown and Bruschi played there entire career with the Pats and played over 10 years. Both have good to great stats as Patriots in that time and are very popular on and off the field, they will always be Patriots and deserve to have their jerseys retired.

Willie left, had good numbers and was popular with the fan base when here, but he is not in same class as Troy and Teddy.

And right now Brady is the only one left playing in the same class as them.

#80 & #54 get retired next year or the year after, #55 plays on.

Willie left, had good numbers and was popular with the fan base when here, but he is not in same class as Troy and Teddy.

And right now Brady is the only one left playing in the same class as them.
Willie McGinest had like 86 career sacks which isn't chicken feed. he also had at least 2 immortal plays forever associated with him, one of which was just about directly responsible for our 1st Lombardi.

That hit on Warner wasd the reason Ty Law picked that ball off for 6 the other way.

The goalline stand against Indy with time expired where he ran up the field afterward is another.

To say he isn't in the "class" of Bruschi or Troy is silly imho

No. Sorry, but as much as I love Tedy, Troy, Willie...you retire HOF type players. Of guys that were constantly dominant. Brady. Hannah. Tip. Etc.

Tedy and Troy had unmistakable and unmeasureable impact on the franchise, and should be honored, inducted into the NEPHOF, and embraced as Patriots for life. But they shouldn't have their numbers retired. Again, just my personal qualifications.

Then why is Troy brown #80 Morgan #86 and Ben Coates #87 is still not retired.

Back