2006-2007 Boston Celtics/NBA Thread

#1Patsfan_chica

Rodney Harrison Fan Club
Reaction score
I'm really excited for the Celtics season. I know they are not a championship caliber team but they are exciting.

Who knows, maybe Red can pull some strings, where ever he is.

I can't wait for today's game. A tribute to Red, Paul Pierce and the C's, and one of my favorite players in Peja Stojakovic.

So go Celtics!!!:Celtics:

Know I have to find my #34 jersey.

I am also looking forward to season, I see a 35-40 win, hope Theo gets healthy soon so we have a real defensive center to alter shots

I agree. They'll have 30-something wins. I'd be surprised if they make the playoffs.

What I am looking forward to is tonight's half-time tribute to Red. I hope it doesn't feel slapped-together.

I found out either this morning or last night that the Miami Heat won the last NBA championship. Apparently Pat Riley is the coach of that team, which I thought was interesting. Does Shaquille Oneal play for them?

They are giving the Red tribute in the City Hall Plaza live on NECN. By the way, Kerry Healey was mentioned and booed.

thomas144 on 11-01-2006 at 12:19 PM said:
I found out either this morning or last night that the Miami Heat won the last NBA championship. Apparently Pat Riley is the coach of that team, which I thought was interesting. Does Shaquille Oneal play for them?
I wouldn't know butt I heard they are going to have dancing girls this year so I may take my son to a game so I can stare at them

grogsox on 11-01-2006 at 01:05 PM said:
NBA Basketball = :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:
that's cool but to Chica and a few others who enjoy it, Basketball is enjoyable, Guess it is the same as the RedSox Thread, If you are not a fan skip the thread.

I grew up with the 80's Celtics, Much like todays Patritos it seemed like a birth right to win, I can't fathom what the people growing up with Red's 11 in 13 years championship teams thought

I like Basketball, a lot tougher sport to excell at than I ever thought, I played pick up games with my brother and his friends and at 6'-1" I was a little dude and it was physical. I wouldn't want to drive against Shaq the 7'-1" 330 lbs monster

I'm not a huge NBA fan, but watched a fair amount of the Celts last year and enjoyed it up until they started sucking late in the season.

What I see is Danny Ainge bringing in a lot of extremely athletic guys that are all roughly the same age, with similar skill sets and hoping they can somehow grow into a cohesive team.

One problem seems to be a lack of clear-cut role players, which is what I always thought won NBA championships, but that thinking might be 10 years out of date. At least.

I love watching Delonte West, but what is he on this team? A point guard? Which? one, two or three? What else can he do? Does it matter? West is going to be a winner in this league eventually. He works his ass off.

I watched the ESPN documentary on Sebastian Telfair and it was clear to see that his athletic ability and court smarts can be astonishing at times, but the guy is pretty small and doesn't shoot that well. A risk by Ainge, but with big upside. He's a true point guard, but can he survive in the NBA? He could be another Tiny Archibald.

I've seen about 5 minutes of Rajon Rondo and he is another amazing athlete who has a lot of learning to do, but could be a superstar in time.

Bottom line is that I see about nine guys on the current roster who can put up twenty on any given night and that strikes me as a shitload of talent, but.......I really don't know what we're looking at. How is Doc Rivers supposed to divvy up the minutes or is Ainge stockpiling all the talent he can with an eye for a trade for somebody who can make the pieces fit?

All I know is that Tommy Heinsohn likes the hustle and potential of this team and I'm going to go along with him. I love listening to Heinsohn and especially Cousy. I like the Celts and think they could suprise a few people this season and go into the playoffs with a chance to get a round or two deep, although Dale and Holley think they are 4 or 5 years away from anything big.

It's about time basketball mattered in this town again and I really think they are on the right track.

Telfair and Rondo are about the same age, Rondo has College Telfair pro experience so they both should be Rookies in all actuality

also Delonte was made into point guard and sacrificed his shot to run the show, I think he works well with Telfair because they can switch up and Telfair take the shot - he will get better with his shot.

My concern is more Big Man - Park will start at Center until T. Ratcliff returns as the starter. Jefferson needs to Mature again he is also about the same age as Rondo, as is Gerald Green.

Celtics are hoping one develops here in the Pros when College would have been a smarter choice for development but Money is too tempting for these Kids hell I'd go to.

I would just like to take a quick moment to say my condolences to all you Celtic fans on the passing of Red Auerbach. (spelling?)

Truth be told I had no idea who the guy was until he died. (When I saw the headline I thought he was a retired college football coach.) I knew the Celtics had won a lot of championships but didn't know he was there through all of it.

I know it's not like anyone on here knew him personally, but I just wanted to say something.

NEway, I might take the wife to a Bucks game down in Milwaukee this year, just because it's fun to be in the stands for one, see the whole show. I'm not much of a basketball fan in general; I'd rather watch NBA than college but I know most people prefer the latter. Plus it would be a good excuse to go see my friend from college who lives down there.

I used to be a huge Celtics fan too. I grew up watching JoJo White and John Havlechek and Dave Cowans. Then on to Bird, Parish, McHale. Some great teams and some awesome memories. But basketball was different then. Much more TEAM oriented than today. Put any of those teams mentioned above on the court today and they'd win the championship easily.

Maybe today's game has passed me by. I just don't find it that entertaining. College basketball, on the other hand, is chock full of emotion and much more entertaining to watch, IMHO.

Anyway, good luck Celtics and Danny Ainge. RIP Red.

I agree but the Pistons won with a team concept,

I blame Michael Jordan and Dr. J before that and Hawkins and...

actually it is ESPN that is ruining sports by making Stars of these guys for Dunking in a blow-out but ignore the guy who draws a charge to win posession of the ball and his team scores to win.

mikiemo83 on 11-01-2006 at 01:52 PM said:
I agree but the Pistons won with a team concept,

If you call thuggary a team concept....

still the skill level is not what it used to be, most big guys can dunk but can shoot beyond 10 feet out (yes there are a few exceptions). And even the "star" players launch so many frickin bricks - yet if they score 30, no one cares that they took 50 shots to get the 30 points. And dribbling, does anyone still do that correctly, besides Mikemo when he looks at the girlie pic thread?

TB never heard of Red? Wow. I thought everyone knew who he was.

Red was one of a kind.

Quick story. Red was having dinner at Legal Seafoods in Boston after a game and as usual, lit up a post-dinner cigar. A woman nearby came over to his table and started complaining about the smoke and said "You can't do that! this is a non-smoking restaraunt!" Red says: "Oh is it? take a look at your menu again."

The menu said right on it:

This is a non-smoking restaraunt except for Red Auerbach.

I love basketball. And understand that basketball know is not like it used to be but this is all I know.

The young kids are exciting. They are very athletic. I wish the C's had more veterans on the team.

P.S. I love college basketball, especially BC.

grogsox on 11-01-2006 at 01:59 PM said:
If you call thuggary a team concept....

still the skill level is not what it used to be, most big guys can dunk but can shoot beyond 10 feet out (yes there are a few exceptions). And even the "star" players launch so many frickin bricks - yet if they score 30, no one cares that they took 50 shots to get the 30 points. And dribbling, does anyone still do that correctly, besides Mikemo when he looks at the girlie pic thread?
honestly I didn't mean McNasty and McFilthy Pistons but Larry Browns Pistons of the past few year

I agree basic ball skills are lacking but a Steve Nash type, a Tim Duncan and a few others really make you appreciate Basketball, Celtics have Providence College's Ryan Gomes, who is an 4 year college player with skills that remind you of old school hoop - he can read a shot and position for a rebound, plays defense with his feet and many other lost arts in todays version of Red's League.

I hope raising the age to force one season of College helps because some good players left early, got money and never developed like they would have playing for Dean Smith

I love hoops, but I think the three point line has run its course and is ruining the flow of the game.

The prevailing strategy is to have one or two guys standing outside the three-point line to open up the middle. So 90% of the game is the same play over and over:

Dump it in low, wait for the double team, back out to the three point line, shoot three pointer or make quick cross court pass for three pointer or low percentage outside shot.

Without the three-point line, outside shots were taken closer to the hoop so a higher percentage went in. Plus, there was less double teaming because offensive players were not just standing around waiting to take a three.

The result was more scoring and a more entertaining game. Just my opinion, FWIW. But I'm still looking forward to this season.

So the :Celtics: didn't win last night but it was only one game. They didn't score in the first 3 minutes of the game and were down by double digits but still managed to make it close.

They had a nice tribute to Red. And I thought it was nice of the C's to put flowers and a cigar on his seat. Reminded me of the time Ted Williams passed away.

And one of the best parts of the night is that I got to see my Peja. He looked so adorable. Didn't have a great shooting night but made some huge baskets at the end of the game.

#1Patsfan_chica on 11-01-2006 at 10:37 AM said:
Who knows, maybe Red can pull some strings, where ever he is...

I think Red is now the Leprechaun King...

Back