2011 Draft -- NE predraft contact list

Box_O_Rocks

One personality, many pieces
Reaction score
It's time to begin tracking New England's pre-draft contacts as sussed out in the various media formats around the footballing world. The simplest way to do it, and the one most advocated by my standard inertia preferences, is to track the inestimable Seneschal2 over at patsfans: The adventures of Seneschal2, bloodhound on the trail of Belichick

Due to the immense participation in mayo's 2011 draft thread, it's easier to link to another patsfans thread (though the author is a disreputable source ) for a more concentrated collection of Scouting visits: Scouting visits

And now, from the For What It's Worth department: On Monday I noted the following ...
Looking at the Combine numbers posted so far, the following have the basic athleticism to be considered a NE OL candidate (compared to Light, Mankins, Koppen, Connolly, Kaczur, and Vollmer):
OT Anthony Castonzo
OT Nate Solder
OT Lee Ziemba
OT Jarriel King
OT Jah Reid (10 split pending)
OT Kyle Hix (10 split pending)
OG Mike Person
OG John Moffit (10 split pending)
OG Clint Boling (10 split pending)
OC Brandon Fusco
OC Jason Kelce
EDIT: OG Julian Vandervelde

Those pending 10 splits have very slow 40 times, which probably means their 10 split is too slow for a NE OL.
I bring this up to note Seneschal2's most recent update includes a report that NE met with Brandon Fusco at the Combine. Only Castonzo (LT) and Kelce (30 lbs smaller) had better change of direction numbers, putting him in Mankins-like mobility range.

I also loved this last year.

I'll add in what I had accumulated up until 2/1/11 with cited sources. I didn't have time to follow up since 2/1. Sigh. I don't know if this helps at all but here is what I had as of then.

Legend:

V - Team is bringing in player to team facilities
PW - Private workout to be held
I - Interviewed at Combine or at various games (includes senior bowl)
APD - Attended pro day
RI - Rumored interest
MV - Miscellaneous visit

Defense
DE Christian Ballard, Iowa - I
DE David Carter, UCLA - I
DT Phil Taylor, Baylor - I (I'm not certain of this but was reported on DraftCountdown)
FS Justin Taplin-Ross, Utah - I
FS Ahmad Black, Florida - I
ILB Mark Herzlich, Boston College - I
ILB Casey Matthews, Oregon - I
OLB Cheta Ozougwu, Rice - I

Offense
HB Alex Green, Hawaii - I
HB Derrick Locke, Kentucky - I
HB Demarco Murray, Oklahoma - I
OG Caleb Schlauderauff, Utah - I
OT Joseph Barksdale, LSU - I
OT Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin - I
OT Danny Watkins, Baylor - I
WR Leonard Hankerson, Miami - I
http://www.patspulpit.com/2011/1/20/...game?ref=yahoo
http://www.draftcountdown.com/featur...shman-Blog.php
http://twitter.com/NEPatriotsDraft/s...02715571445760
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sp...as-a-bad-idea/
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sp...hhhhhhhhhhhhh/
http://twitter.com/#!/TheHuddleReport/status/31150580088967168

What does OC stand for? Is that center? If so I thought that only the designation "C" was used because there is no center on defense, correct?

What does OC stand for? Is that center? If so I thought that only the designation "C" was used because there is no center on defense, correct?

OC = center, yes

I've seen exactly zero film on Fusco, so take this with a dresser sized block of salt, but watching him do combine drills, he seemed to my crappy eyes to have a motor, light on his feet, and there was an aggressiveness, even in how he punched the bags on the blocking drills that made me feel good about the idea of him being on our team. He may be the crappiest blocker in the world, and I'm sure if that is the case BB and Co will discover it, but watching him in shorts made me feel like of all the candidates out there, he was the one I was most excited about potentially putting into the Scar camp of dancing Hippos

I've seen exactly zero film on Fusco, so take this with a dresser sized block of salt, but watching him do combine drills, he seemed to my crappy eyes to have a motor, light on his feet, and there was an aggressiveness, even in how he punched the bags on the blocking drills that made me feel good about the idea of him being on our team. He may be the crappiest blocker in the world, and I'm sure if that is the case BB and Co will discover it, but watching him in shorts made me feel like of all the candidates out there, he was the one I was most excited about potentially putting into the Scar camp of dancing Hippos
I will be rewatching the broadcast, and I need to check and see if the online broadcasts are still up at NFL.com, but I got the same impression you did, mobile, agile, hostile.

Just a note, this morning diary updates for Will Rackley and Taiwan Jones indicate 13 and 11 formal team interviews, but confess to no Patriots on their lists.

For what it's worth the Pats drafted 5 players last year with whom they made predraft contact-- all 5 were seen using private workouts.

Zac Robinson, Taylor Price, Aaron Hernandez, Brandon Spikes and Zoltan Mesko.

Interesting that they did not interview their top 3 selections McCourty, Gronkowski and Cunningham, but that is our boys. Keep everybody guessing.

Spikes, Price, Hernandez and Mesko then went like ducks in a row.

For what it's worth the Pats drafted 5 players last year with whom they made predraft contact-- all 5 were seen using private workouts.

Zac Robinson, Taylor Price, Aaron Hernandez, Brandon Spikes and Zoltan Mesko.

Interesting that they did not interview their top 3 selections McCourty, Gronkowski and Cunningham, but that is our boys. Keep everybody guessing.

Spikes, Price, Hernandez and Mesko then went like ducks in a row.
We found out during the season that BB grilled McCourty at Rutgers, I don't know if he visited Gillette or not, but the big cheese personally did the interview in lieu of sending his rookie DB coach.

We found out during the season that BB grilled McCourty at Rutgers, I don't know if he visited Gillette or not, but the big cheese personally did the interview in lieu of sending his rookie DB coach.

Yeah, but by the same token he was taped putting Butler throught he workout at the UCONN day. You think he woulda got a better read on what's going on between the ears with that cat.

Plenty of talent.

Smahts? Incomplete.

Have to love the players from slippery rock.

Yeah, but by the same token he was taped putting Butler throught he workout at the UCONN day. You think he woulda got a better read on what's going on between the ears with that cat.

Plenty of talent.

Smahts? Incomplete.
What's to say McCourty doesn't have a rockier sophomore season?

I don't get all the anti-Butler stuff flying around, the kid did not quite - let me repeat that, Butler did not quite.

Butler's working through all the issues the coaches want him to work on, I don't know how it will turn out, I doubt BB does, too many variables. As long as Butler is focused on getting better and doing the work, I'm not going to run him down as a person, I may be critical of a play, but the kid himself has done nothing but try to get better and fix the problem(s). Let's contrast that to Meriweather's struggles, there's a player who is causing me some irritation. Deadrick and his reported missing meetings is trying to get into that doghouse too.

I don't get all the anti-Butler stuff flying around, the kid did not quite - let me repeat that, Butler did not quite.

Butler's working through all the issues the coaches want him to work on, I don't know how it will turn out, I doubt BB does, too many variables. As long as Butler is focused on getting better and doing the work, I'm not going to run him down as a person, I may be critical of a play, but the kid himself has done nothing but try to get better and fix the problem(s). Let's contrast that to Meriweather's struggles, there's a player who is causing me some irritation. Deadrick and his reported missing meetings is trying to get into that doghouse too.

He didn't quit either:fire:

I'm not saying he quit at all. Just not sure if he has the football IQ. He sure seems to have the physical ability to be an above average CB in this league.

I'm not saying he'll never amount to one. But at this point you just have to wonder a little. No?

Particularly with the track record prior to McCourty. I mean, Wilhite, Wheatley, and Butler all used some significant ammo. I don't think we've truly harvested the adequate amount of fruit from those resources.

Give him props for his work to get better. But until he shows some significant growth I'll resrve judgement, but lean closer to bust than boom.

I'm not saying he quit at all. Just not sure if he has the football IQ. He sure seems to have the physical ability to be an above average CB in this league.

I'm not saying he'll never amount to one. But at this point you just have to wonder a little. No?

Particularly with the track record prior to McCourty. I mean, Wilhite, Wheatley, and Butler all used some significant ammo. I don't think we've truly harvested the adequate amount of fruit from those resources.

Give him props for his work to get better. But until he shows some significant growth I'll resrve judgement, but lean closer to bust than boom.
Wilhite as a fourth round pick has earned his keep despite being forced into roles beyond his level. Wheatley was snake bitten, it happens, kid was bringing it up until his first start and the broken wrist knocking down a Peyty Manning ball. Butler had an okay rookie season, he may have gotten off on the wrong foot due to some veteran leadership - in the wrong direction - hence the housecleaning. Where the kid stands now is on his own two feet with BB saying you can do it, but here's what you need to fix. Football IQ isn't a born attribute ... we don't mind that posters like MEPATSNUT or yourself have blond moments, at least you keep trying. o:)

Wilhite as a fourth round pick has earned his keep despite being forced into roles beyond his level. Wheatley was snake bitten, it happens, kid was bringing it up until his first start and the broken wrist knocking down a Peyty Manning ball. Butler had an okay rookie season, he may have gotten off on the wrong foot due to some veteran leadership - in the wrong direction - hence the housecleaning. Where the kid stands now is on his own two feet with BB saying you can do it, but here's what you need to fix. Football IQ isn't a born attribute ... we don't mind that posters like MEPATSNUT or yourself have blond moments, at least you keep trying. o:)

Poor production for 2 2nds and a 4th, but keep trying to convince yourself otherwise.

Working on some more Blount-type binkies to hammer you with post-draft '11.

I say so. Look, I admit it is theoretically possible, but there is absolutely no logical reason to conclude that McCourty will slump this year. I'm going to go out on a fat limb and say that there is now way he is anything but what he seems to be-- one of the very best in the game now and for years to come.

I gotta say, Boxy. You are quit the speller.

You gotta get some sleep, man. We still have a month and a half to go.

Back