2012 Free Agent Thread - Patriots Only

Ras

Prolate Spheriod Fan
Reaction score
This Just In -

In a post on Facebook, Patriots Place wrote -

"Free agent Brandon Lloyd has reportedly assured Patriots players his contract demands in New England will be "reasonable."

The players have in turn relayed that message to management. The Patriots are expected to target Lloyd "quickly," and the Boston Herald believes he's the most likely free agent to sign with the team on Tuesday. The Patriots appear to be the clear favorites to land Lloyd."

The Patriots have taken care of some expected business prior to the start of free agency. According to multiple reports (Adam Kaplan, Mike Reiss), the Patriots have placed the 2nd round restricted free agency tender on quarterback Brian Hoyer.

The move hardly comes as a surprise, as Hoyer is a valued back-up and insurance policy to Patriots quarterback Tom Brady. The 2nd round tender is a bit intriguing. It is widely regarded in NFL circles that Hoyer could very well be a future starter in the league. Perhaps it is possible that some quarterback needy team could decide to jump the gun by a year and sign Hoyer to an offer sheet while surrendering a second round pick to the Patriots. While the Patriots certainly do value Hoyer, in that scenario, I'm sure they would be happy to collect their second round pick and move on, with last year's 3rd round pick Ryan Mallett ready and waiting to be the #2.

Still, the aforementioned scenario is rather unlikely. If I had to guess, Hoyer will be back in the fold as the #2 quarterback in 2012. Placing the 2nd round tender on him is simply another step towards making that official.

I hope McDaniels knows what he is doing with this signing. BB trusts him, obviously, so to me this is all on JMcD. If it works, it is another step in McD replacign BB someday. But McD made many puzzling moves in Denver, so I am not sold on it working, but am hopeful that it will.

The Patriots have taken care of some expected business prior to the start of free agency. According to multiple reports (Adam Kaplan, Mike Reiss), the Patriots have placed the 2nd round restricted free agency tender on quarterback Brian Hoyer.

The move hardly comes as a surprise, as Hoyer is a valued back-up and insurance policy to Patriots quarterback Tom Brady. The 2nd round tender is a bit intriguing. It is widely regarded in NFL circles that Hoyer could very well be a future starter in the league. Perhaps it is possible that some quarterback needy team could decide to jump the gun by a year and sign Hoyer to an offer sheet while surrendering a second round pick to the Patriots. While the Patriots certainly do value Hoyer, in that scenario, I'm sure they would be happy to collect their second round pick and move on, with last year's 3rd round pick Ryan Mallett ready and waiting to be the #2.

Still, the aforementioned scenario is rather unlikely. If I had to guess, Hoyer will be back in the fold as the #2 quarterback in 2012. Placing the 2nd round tender on him is simply another step towards making that official.

Is there any stipulation in place from a team with a low 2nd, let's say NO, taking Hoyer but then flipping him to say a Cleveland with a 5th?

Cleveland can take BPA knowing they have a QB now and NO moves up significantly, albeit forfeiting a 4th-5th rounder.:shrug:

Ian Rappaport tweets that the Patriots are interested in the Seahawk's DT Red Bryant.

Is there any stipulation in place from a team with a low 2nd, let's say NO, taking Hoyer but then flipping him to say a Cleveland with a 5th?

Cleveland can take BPA knowing they have a QB now and NO moves up significantly, albeit forfeiting a 4th-5th rounder.:shrug:

...So NO would give up a second rounder take Hoyer, then trade him to the browns for a 2nd and a 5th? Why wouldnt the browns just trade a second to the pats and keep the 5th?

...So NO would give up a second rounder take Hoyer, then trade him to the browns for a 2nd and a 5th? Why wouldnt the browns just trade a second to the pats and keep the 5th?

NO sends Hoyer and a 4th or 5th to move up to the top of the 2nd.

NO sends Hoyer and a 4th or 5th to move up to the top of the 2nd.

Ah...not sure, NO as is, is not picking for awhile, but they might be strapped right now for money after signing colston.

I guess this applies here (Article 9, Section 3 (h) of the CBA):
"There may be no consideration of any kind given by one Club to another Club [...] in exchange for a Club's decision to submit or not to submit an Offer Sheet to a Restricted Free Agent or to make or not to enter into a Player Contract with a Restricted Free Agent."

Sounds like they technically could. But why would Hoyer sign with them in the first place?

I guess this applies here (Article 9, Section 3 (h) of the CBA):
"There may be no consideration of any kind given by one Club to another Club [...] in exchange for a Club's decision to submit or not to submit an Offer Sheet to a Restricted Free Agent or to make or not to enter into a Player Contract with a Restricted Free Agent."

Sounds like they technically could. But why would Hoyer sign with them in the first place?

More money? Chance to start?

Not sure about that one, it would really only help the saints...nobody else.
eh?

Cleveland gets Hoyer & a 5th instead of just Hoyer. Assuming NE doesn't care who gets him, everyone wins and no one loses.
Posted via Mobile Device

eh?

Cleveland gets Hoyer & a 5th instead of just Hoyer. Assuming NE doesn't care who gets him, everyone wins and no one loses.
Posted via Mobile Device

Why would NE care what NO got? Thats what I'm saying....I mean isn't this kinda a thought anyway and not a reality? Cle could get him for a second only and not a 2nd and a 5th, so actually they would lose, and NE would get the lower second....only one making out here is NO.

Besides, the Saints over would have to be one with no or only a small signing bonus. The Patriots always could match that and then trade him themselves.

Besides, the Saints over would have to be one with no or only a small signing bonus. The Patriots always could match that and then trade him themselves.

Yeah, that kinda kills that....why would the Pats just do something to help the saints, the saints would have to go way over the tender if they really wanted that deal, so the pats wouldnt match it.

Back