PatsFan09

Done. And. Done.
Reaction score
Here's the schedule for the TC days that are open to the public:

July 26:1:30pm - 4:00pm
July 27:1:30pm - 4:00pm
July 28:1:30pm - 4:00pm
July 29: 1:30pm - 4:00pm

I'll probably be there on the 26th, and my wife and I will be there the 27th. Hoping to see some of you there!

NOTE: The Patriots will also hold joint practices with the New Orleans Saints on Tuesday, August 7th and Wednesday, August 8th. Public viewing times are still to be determined.

http://www.patriots.com/trainingcamp/schedule.html

Psyched! Rookies report day after tommorrow (Thurs).

Cheers, BostonTim

From Bedard on a position of great interest, OLB

Greg A. Bedard provides a status report on the Patriots' defensive position groups heading into the start of training camp on July 26. Position: Outside linebacker
Current number of players: 5
Four-year average at cut to 53 players: 3.8
Last season at 53: 4
Locks (2): Jerod Mayo, Bobby Carpenter
Near locks (0)
Battling (3): Niko Koutouvides, Jeff Tarpinian, Tracy White
Long shots (0)
53-man prediction
On the team (3):
Jerod Mayo, Bobby Carpenter, Jeff Tarpinian
Cut (2): Niko Koutouvides, Tracy White
Parting thought: Depending on the injury situation, look for this to be a spot where the Patriots try to steal a roster spot for either the line or the secondary. Hightower’s inside/outside versatility allows for that. If a starter goes down anywhere among the linebackers – provided he doesn’t win the strong-side job outright (we think he will) – Hightower will get the call. The third spot comes down to whoever is the better special teams player between White, Tarpinian and Koutouvides. That has been White in the past, but that has to come to an end at some point.
http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...training_camp_p_5.html?camp=misc:on:twit:pats

I'd have put Hightower as a lock for OLB; he's also a lock for MLB. How BB chooses to use Hightower is something I look forward to watching with great anticipation.

I'm glad he's enjoying the end of the off season. WR competition could be intense.

Deion Branch #84 ‏<s>@</s>deionbranch84 I wanna thank all of u beautiful and wonderful peoples for the birthday wishes. Wish u all could be here with us in Turks and Caicos

I've never been to Turks and Caicos but I hear the beaches are other worldly.

The thing I will be look at the most is the secondary play. Which was Horrible last year mainly at safety. I said this a lot I do hope Mccourty finds some of his game from his rookie year. He had a lousy year at CB. Played a lot better when he was switched to FS. I want to see if RaS-I can stay healthily. He was injuried for most of training camp. Only played 2 games before being put on IR.

The thing I will be look at the most is the secondary play. Which was Horrible last year mainly at safety. I said this a lot I do hope Mccourty finds some of his game from his rookie year. He had a lousy year at CB. Played a lot better when he was switched to FS. I want to see if RaS-I can stay healthily. He was injuried for most of training camp. Only played 2 games before being put on IR.

McCourty didnt play much FS last year, when i remember correctly ..

AustrianPatriot said:
McCourty didnt play much FS last year, when i remember correctly ..

He was the starting FS the last few games of the year. He started at FS during the playoffs.

TC from a rookie's perspective. This is a great read.

As a middle backer in a goal-line scheme, the objective was clear: key the fullback’s first step and attack downhill at full speed, blowing him up, as well as anything else that happens to get in the way of the ball-carrier. Although simple in its description, the actual execution of this task was a whole other story.
Across the line into the backfield, the biggest fullback on our roster and one of the biggest in the entire league (about 276 pounds) was ready to meet me in a full-speed, head-on collision.
With a deep breath, some rising intensity and all the passion I could muster, I set my sights on the target. These are the moments you make a case for a spot on the 53-man roster. So I made the decision to sacrifice my health and well-being.
With the snap of the ball, I read and reacted to the fullback’s first step. I exploded toward the line of scrimmage, headed directly into the gap between the offensive tackle and the tight end.
Meanwhile, the ball-carrier was coming directly at me as the fullback led the way. A massive collision ensued right at the line of scrimmage between me and the fullback; the thunderous noise from our two helmets crashing elicited cheers and excitement from the crowd, as well as fellow teammates.
As our helmets and bodies smashed together, I experienced a sudden flash; the hit itself was painless as all mental systems shut down for a brief second. When my awareness returned, I was laying on the ground trying to get my wits about me. Lying next to me was the fullback and running back; the latter had fallen short of the end zone, so it appeared that my job was at least somewhat accomplished.
The fullback and I caught eyes. The look we gave each other was clear confirmation that we had just engaged in a collision of rare intensity, and our awareness level was undoubtedly compromised. Both of us were fighting to make this team and giving equal effort to do so.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1264662-memoirs-of-an-nfl-training-camp

Seats are pretty easy, to be honest. Lots of people, but it's bleachers, so it's easy to find a spot.

Get there a half hour early on weekends, though. I always sit on the hill under a tree if it's sunny and hot.

5 rookies fail physicals

:facepalm:

Are these guys freaking idiots? The chance of a lifetime and they come in out of shape...:grrr:

The Patriots' rookies reported to Gillette Stadium at 8 a.m. today to get training camp underway, and reportedly five players failed their physicals. Howard Balzer of SiriusXM NFL radio, among other outlets, tweeted a short while ago that seventh-round draft pick WR Jeremy Ebert, plus undrafted players DL Justin Francis, WR Matt Roark, OL Jeremiah Warren and OL Markus Zusevics failed their physicals.
The team could have designated them as such because they failed the team conditioning test, which is pretty tough: 20 timed sprints of either 60 (skill players), 50 (TE, FB, LB) or 40 yards (linemen).
Balzer reported Ebert, who was limited in spring camps, was placed on the active/physically unable to perform list; the other four players were placed on the non-football injury list.
Being placed on the active list means players can be removed at any time.
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2012/07/report_five_pat.html

Bedard previews the S position

Position: Safety
Current number of players: 8
Four-year average at cut to 53 players: 4.0
Last season at 53: 4
Locks (3): Patrick Chung, Steve Gregory, Tavon Wilson
Near locks (0)
Battling (4): Josh Barrett, James Ihedigbo, Nate Ebner, Sergio Brown
Longshots (1): Ross Ventrone
53-man prediction
On the team (5):
Patrick Chung, Steve Gregory, Tavon Wilson, Josh Barrett, James Ihedigbo
Cut (3): Nate Ebner, Sergio Brown, Ross Ventrone
Parting thought
I think this is where the Patriots will use the extra roster spot when all is said and done. If they keep fewer linebackers, the Patriots will need to make up for the special teams bodies at safety where they can run and tackle. I think Barrett will open some eyes, but if he struggles in space again he’s gone. Not crazy about Ihedigbo – he’s serviceable but I’d rather get younger and more athletic. The Patriots drafted Ebner for special teams, and they still really like Brown on coverage units – he really improved there last year. Can either of those two guys grab a spot from Barrett or Ihedigbo? I doubt it, but that’s a big question that will need to be answered.
http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Bedard has Ihedigbo in and Ebner out. That's the safe bet but I'd so like to see Ebner flying down the field on KOs. Ihedigbo I can live without but I realize he adds depth insurance.

Back