2012 Training Camp Thread

Brady went 7-17 in 11 vs 11. Brees went 15-21. Most are saying Saints won the day. Mankins, Vollmer and Waters would have a huge effect on that outcome.

Nevertheless, this will be a big coaching point for BB going forward.

From Reiss

Before a standing-room-only crowd that is likely to top the single-session training camp record – possibly as many as 17,000, if not more – the New England Patriots hosted the New Orleans Saints for a joint practice on Tuesday afternoon.

The biggest takeaway from the full-pads practice: The Saints owned it.

The Patriots’ offense was not sharp in drills when the teams faced each other. Quarterback Tom Brady was intercepted twice – once in 7-on-7 drills in the red zone (by linebacker Curtis Lofton), and another time in 11-on-11 work (by cornerback Malcolm Jenkins). At one point, after the offense stalled once again, Brady walked to the sideline dejectedly.

Overall, there were a lot of footballs on the ground when the New England offense was on the field, and too many missed connections. Coach Bill Belichick, who arrived 51 minutes late as he was attending the funeral of Andy Reid’s son Garrett, should be able to find plenty of teaching opportunities on the tape.

Meanwhile, the Saints’ offense, led by quarterback Drew Brees, generally had its way with the Patriots’ defense. The Saints looked like they had a much cleaner operation.

Rocker Jon Bon Jovi’s presence added a celebrity aspect to the joint practice, as Bon Jovi signed autographs and visited with Patriots owner Robert Kraft and Saints owner Tom Benson. Bon Jovi is a longtime friend of Belichick. Boston College men’s hockey coach Jerry York, also a close friend of Belichick, was also on hand to watch from the sideline.

A few other quick-hit thoughts:

Great scene. Overall, just a terrific scene here at Gillette Stadium. Saints defenders wore black jerseys, while their offense players wore white. The Patriots’ defenders were in blue, while the offense players wore white. It was neat to see the different colors on the field, and to take in sights such as Patriots left guard Logan Mankins chatting with Saints quarterback Drew Brees during practice.

Jones’ length shows up. Patriots defensive end Chandler Jones (6-5, 260) stands out from a length perspective, and it showed up in 11-on-11 drills when he batted down a Drew Brees pass by getting his hands in the air.

Spikes out again. Middle linebacker Brandon Spikes remained out of practice for a third straight day. Elsewhere on the injury front, safety James Ihedigbo was the notable player returning to practice, while rookie receiver Jeremy Ebert (7<sup>th</sup> round, Northwestern) was in full pads for the first time.

Kasay addresses both teams. In a moment at the end of practice, both clubs took a knee and listened to the longest-tenured NFL player on the field, Saints kicker John Kasay. Also, Patriots special teams captain Matthew Slater said some words to both teams, before everyone kneeled in prayer.

More observations to come.
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...ice?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Mike Reiss ‏@MikeReiss
Saints LT Jermon Bushrod with some good insight on Patriots DE Chandler Jones. After working against him in practice, calls him JPP-like.

SPikes is effing with all the peeps on his timeline questioning why he isn't at practice. ROFL

Ebert in full pads... is he now off PUP?

Bon Jovi was at practice today. BonJovi had a song called "Wanted, Dead or Alive". Pats practiced against the Saints. So..... is obvious joke too obvious?

Bon Jovi was at practice today. BonJovi had a song called "Wanted, Dead or Alive". Pats practiced against the Saints. So..... is obvious joke too obvious?

Why is everyone ignoring that we stunk it up against a team who does not even have a head coach!!! Someone talk me off the bridge!!!

Yeah...so my pathetic joke isn't working I guess. ROFL

I remember one fine year, the Pats were looking kind of raggedy all preseason and the last game was the final straw. I was all ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? I thought of curses that Bart Scott hasn't even laid upon the defense. The O was tremendous(ly awful). They were obliterated by the Bengals. They couldn't score a SINGLE POINT...against a team coached by JACK BLEEPING DELRIO. Again...JACK....BLEEPING...DEL....RIO.

DOOM.

The year? 2004. :coffee:

Why is everyone ignoring that we stunk it up against a team who does not even have a head coach!!! Someone talk me off the bridge!!!

Coaching points, Midgar. BB haz em.

OL is makeshift. TB had no time to pass (?)

Mankins, Vollmer and Waters will want more money now. :coffee:

No moar House in the house if this is what TB looks like when he's done with him.

Spikes is injured enough not to play.

I haven't heard anything about the D other than Jones knock down of Brees' pass and McCourty looking pretty good.

Coaching points, Midgar. BB haz em.

OL is makeshift. TB had no time to pass (?)

Mankins, Vollmer and Waters will want more money now. :coffee:

No moar House in the house if this is what TB looks like when he's done with him.

Spikes is injured enough not to play.

I haven't heard anything about the D other than Jones knock down of Brees' pass and McCourty looking pretty good.

Well I heard Quote " They had their way with the pats defense" Which was only outdone by how bad the offense was...it just kinda sucks that a team that lost its head coach, went through all of that offseason crap just got their Qb in camp is so far ahead of the patriots at this point.

Reiss

Tight ends uncoverable. Though the Patriots offense endured struggles on Tuesday, the Saints were unable to find an answer for tight ends Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez. That being said, the Patriots defense was unable to stay with Saints standout tight end Jimmy Graham throughout much of the day as well. We’ll later pass along Saints safety Roman Harper’s interesting breakdown of the three, which includes his thoughts on how they differ.

Opportunity period. The two teams concluded practice with an opportunity session, pitting many of the Patriots younger players against the Saints young guys. Quarterback Ryan Mallett took the offensive reigns, and probably as a result of the team’s thin depth at offensive tackle, Nate Solder was spotted on the field for a couple of reps as well. On the defensive side, linebacker Dane Fletcher and safety Steve Gregory had interceptions.

Hightower the re-router. Continue to be impressed with the re-route ability of rookie linebacker Dont’a Hightower. It doesn’t take a massive strike from the 22-year old to move a receiver off of his spot, rather his strength looks so forceful that if he’s able to get his hands on a receiver, he usually disrupts his timing.

Brady picked twice. Tom Brady had an uncharacteristically up-and-down day, throwing a pair of interceptions. One was during a 7-on-7 session in the red zone, when he fired a throw right into the frame of Saints linebacker Curtis Lofton. Later, safety Malcolm Jenkins hauled in a Brady over-throw during 11-on-11 drills.

Arrington’s tough day. Cornerback Kyle Arrington has been built off of his 2011 campaign and looked sharp so far in training camp, but he was twice beat during live drills, once on a deep throw to Saints wide receiver Joseph Morgan.

Play of the day. Brady’s day wasn’t all bad, as he mixed in a number of his typically laser tight spirals, including an arcing bomb down the left sideline that tight end Aaron Hernandez snared with one hand.

Situational play. Situational football has been a point of emphasis for the Patriots in recent days, and the two teams made sure to get in plenty of situational work on Tuesday. Of primary focus was first and second down offense (which often involves a good deal of running plays), as well as some red-zone work and punting from deep in their own territory.

Special teams focus. One nuance of the punt/punt return drill the two teams conducted that we picked up on that stood out: as a method to put each team’s respective gunners to the test, the punt return team played with 12 players on the field, with two vices/hold up players covering each gunner, as well as eight players rushing up the middle.

Jones raises up. Rookie defensive end Chandler Jones continues to show solid signs in both individual and team work. During an early 11-on-11 rep, he wasn’t able to generate enough of an upward push towards the quarterback, but raised his arms in the air so as to disrupt the throw of Drew Brees. Though he didn’t deflect the pass on the first go-around, a second rep employing the same maneuver paid off, as he swatted a Brees throw at the line of scrimmage.

Wilson blitzes. Second-round safety Tavon Wilson has shown a knack for a unique skill throughout training camp: blitzing. He has impressive timing, a skill that usually derives from strong instincts. He’s also shown himself to be a forceful player, which could translate into sacks this season.

Moore’s ball skills stand out. Hard not to take notice of Sterling Moore’s consistent ball skills. He gets his hands on a number of passes, including an end zone deflection today that somehow ended to drop into the hands of Saints receiver Joshua Morgan’s hands (Morgan had actually dropped to the ground). Tough break for Moore, but he continues to dislodge balls and force incompletions. From this vantage point, he’s shown tremendous timing on his break-ups, and finishes every play. Defensive backs know that no ball is secure until the play is over, and Moore is persistent in his defense.

Welker’s speed. Receiver Wes Welker has looked fast over the past few days. His route-running will remain his bread and butter as a receiver, but his speed is yet another factor for defenses to account for.

Stallworth’s in-cutting success. Donte’ Stallworth continues to wreak havoc on defenses on in-cutting routes. Some of this can be attributed to the offensive scheme around him, but not to be lost is Stallworth’s technique. He does a great job of flattening out his route at the top of his break, not giving the defense a chance to close in on him across the middle.

Double moves for Pats receiver. We saw a steady dose of double moves from the Patriots receivers during 1-on-1’s, and it led to quite a bit of success. Unsurprisingly, Brandon Lloyd’s technique stood out. His ability to deceive defenders with his footwork and body leveraging is unique.

Holley as a gunner. Receiver Jesse Holley is likely a long shot for the final roster, but he flashed as a gunner during special teams drills today. That’s his best avenue onto the roster.

Attendance report. Safety James Ihedigbo returned to action after watching Monday's session from the sideline. ... Rookie receiver Jeremy Ebert, who was removed from the active/PUP list on Sunday, along with defensive back Derrick Martin were able to practice in full pads for the first time ... Players not spotted on the field: fullback Spencer Larsen (unknown); tight ends Visanthe Shiancoe (unknown) and Jake Ballard (ACL); offensive linemen Brian Waters (did not report), Kyle Hix (arm/shoulder), Darrion Weems (leg/knee), and Matt Kopa (unknown); defensive lineman Jonathan Fanene (unknown); and linebackers Tracy White (unknown) and Brandon Spikes (unknown) ... Players in T-shirts and shorts: offensive lineman Ron Brace (unknown); tight end Daniel Fells (leg); offensive linemen Logan Mankins (ACL), Sebastian Vollmer (back), and Markus Zusevics (pectoral); defensive lineman Myron Pryor (shoulder); and cornerback Alfonzo Dennard (hamstring).

Watched the first few hours of today's Pats/Saints joint practice. Left to avoid the massive crowds and get to work on time, but I saw a little intrasquad stuff. (They practiced on seperate fields for the first half of practice.)

First they did some 1-on-1 stuff with Brady passing to receivers running a pattern against a lone Saint defender. Jeremy Ebert had a nice triple-bobble catch. Wes, AHern, and Gronk all looked good, of course. Lloyd also impressed, and Silvestro made a catch.

Next stuff they did was some play-action with full wideout/defender looks but no front seven. (I may be wrong on this; they may have had a front four, but there was no attempt at pressure.) Gaffney had a nice catch into his chest. Stallworth got free and was wide open. Gaffney also broke free for a wide open TD. The first-team seemed to be AHern, Gronk, Wes, Lloyd, and I think Woodhead, who went out for Gaffney in a five-wide. Vereen then came off the bench. In that group, AHern had a nice back of the EZ TD grab. Second team was led by Hoyer and consisted of Edelman, Britt Davis, Stallworth, and Silvestro. (I didn't notice Branch; I think he's toast.) Brady tossed an easy pick into the back of the EZ (it looks like there might have been some route miscommunication with Lloyd) but then came back with a TD to a falling-down Gronk.

The Saints then did some kickoff return work to the Pats. Edelman looked good breaking a few back; I swear he gets faster and smoother every year. I also saw AHern back there once, which is unusual, no?

Then they got into full-squad stuff. Saints went to work on O, with #8 at QB, then #10. (I don't have their roster.) #8 completed a nice long pass to #13 over the top of Arrington. Pats then went on O and frankly Brady looked disinterested and out of sorts; he overthrew Stallworth on a bomb, and then drilled a few passes into the ground before giving way to Hoyer, at which point I took off.

I'm remembering why I don't come here often. I have middy on iggy and I still want to punch someone in the face just from reading his asinine overreacting that people are quoting. Please, for the love of God, go be a frigging Jets fan or something. How the few remaining Planeteers stand you is beyond my comprehension.

If you are near Manvel, TX you can jump off this bridge. It won't kill you, but it might make you feel better.

:toast:

Reminded me of an old question I've long had:

tallahatchiebridge.jpg

How in hell did Billie Joe McCallister manage to kill hisself jummping off this little ol' thing?

Cheers, BostonTin

Back