2016 Pats Draft

Big/Sky/Fly

370hssv vw6!s tu36v
Reaction score
<big id="yui_3_10_3_2_1456407860457_1927">New England Patriots
</big>

Without a first-round pick, and with their usual late-position in the draft order following a successful season, the Patriots will be waiting deep into Day 2 (Rounds 2-3) to make their first pick. And as long as Tom Brady is around, new blood at wide receiver will be a viable consideration. Mayock suggested Will Fuller of Notre Dame or Josh Doctson of TCU as second-round possibilities for New England. If they wait until Round 3? "Rashard Higgins maybe from Colorado State," said Mayock, who has been impressed with film of the former CSU star nicknamed "Hollywood."

Via Mike Mayock

A thought, could the pats trade for a "selection" in the 1st round after the 1st round is complete and get around the Highest 1st round pick is taken from them?

A thought, could the pats trade for a "selection" in the 1st round after the 1st round is complete and get around the Highest 1st round pick is taken from them?

What would they trade for that "selection"? Multiple lower picks, and/or other players? Maybe...

Clearly what they should do has endless possibilities. I would like to see them not try to make up for this lost selection. Just forget about it. It is speculated that with comp picks, they will have a 2nd and 2, 3rds. Maximize a couple of those and the impact of the lost 1st rounder should be minimized. I am in no way saying a 3rd round comp pick can replace a 1st rounder, but get players that can actually play out of a couple of those and the damage can be mitigated.

It's still early in the process, but looking at the player grades on NFL.com, it seems like last year's draft was deeper in terms of skill position talent. This years class seems to have more talent along both lines though. It also looks like a good year to draft a true linebacker early.

Clearly what they should do has endless possibilities. I would like to see them not try to make up for this lost selection. Just forget about it. It is speculated that with comp picks, they will have a 2nd and 2, 3rds. Maximize a couple of those and the impact of the lost 1st rounder should be minimized. I am in no way saying a 3rd round comp pick can replace a 1st rounder, but get players that can actually play out of a couple of those and the damage can be mitigated.

I wrote this on another thread. I agree completely. No one is better at the comp draft game than the Pats and this year they have a few again. They will get the 3 for Revis which should be the highest comp pick awarded.

While it sux not to have the number one, it is not nor should be a team building killer. Not with a team like the Pats that draft well as a whole especially the later rounds, and the fact that this team is already a champ contender for the foreseeable future with the retooled, young defense to go with an offense that will always be clicking with Brady at the helm. If there ever was a season to lose a number one and not have it be a back breaker it is probably this one.

Probably not going to work.

The way the NFL worded the punishment the Pats lose their highest first round pick, so since they were almost at the bottom of the 1st as it was, the only realistic scenario would be for them to acquire, say, the 25th pick and then forfeit that pick in order to get the 30th pick (or whatever it was) back.

So, theoretically they could acquire a first, but the Pats aren't about losing, i.e., five slots worth of value just so they could get back in the first round.

A more likely scenario would have them shooting for an additional, likely higher, pick in the 2nd round which would make it a lot more like a typical draft for us.

Realistically, I don't know who we could afford to give up that would bring that kind of a pick, unless it was a package including, say, a future first. Nobody with any brains is going to expect us to have a shitty year and get a better pick than expected, like we do to other teams. I'd call it likely that we will just have to twiddle our thumbs and wait for those picks we already own, although a move would be juicy and make us feel better about things.

Probably not going to work.

The way the NFL worded the punishment the Pats lose their highest first round pick, so since they were almost at the bottom of the 1st as it was, the only realistic scenario would be for them to acquire, say, the 25th pick and then forfeit that pick in order to get the 30th pick (or whatever it was) back.

So, theoretically they could acquire a first, but the Pats aren't about losing, i.e., five slots worth of value just so they could get back in the first round.

A more likely scenario would have them shooting for an additional, likely higher, pick in the 2nd round which would make it a lot more like a typical draft for us.

Realistically, I don't know who we could afford to give up that would bring that kind of a pick, unless it was a package including, say, a future first. Nobody with any brains is going to expect us to have a shitty year and get a better pick than expected, like we do to other teams. I'd call it likely that we will just have to twiddle our thumbs and wait for those picks we already own, although a move would be juicy and make us feel better about things.
How about this, Kansas City Drafts player "X" with the 25th pick, round two starts and KC trades the player, not the pick, to the Patriots for a 1st next year and second this year (supplemental picks can now be traded I believe).

could the NFL take the player from the Patriots and if they did would it force a supplemental draft.

and in doing so they open up a can of worms with the NFLPA.

How about this, Kansas City Drafts player "X" with the 25th pick, round two starts and KC trades the player, not the pick, to the Patriots for a 1st next year and second this year (supplemental picks can now be traded I believe).

could the NFL take the player from the Patriots and if they did would it force a supplemental draft.

Would love to see that happen.

Trading supplementals begins next year. After all, the NFL couldn't allow that this year, the Patriots will probably have a few and would/could benefit from it.

As far as trading a future 1st rounder, I would be against a move like that.

Trading supplementals begins next year. After all, the NFL couldn't allow that this year, the Patriots will probably have a few and would/could benefit from it.

As far as trading a future 1st rounder, I would be against a move like that.

I'm not trying to be disagreeable, but there isn't much going on, so......why not?

I might point out that we trade 1st round picks all the time, although typically not future 1sts.

I've come to think that 1st round picks aren't worth the hype and the expense. The best thing about them is you can get a longer rookie deal and tie them up for relatively short money compared to free agency.

I like to look at recent drafts and skim through the first rounds. Lots of those guys do little to separate themselves from the guys in the 5th round, etc., etc., but short-term draft mania fogs the mind. It's more show than payoff.

I think a lot of it is giving the fans hope that the guy you take in the 1st is really going to make a difference, even though most of them don't.

That's what I thought you were saying...and I don't see how Godcomplexdell could do much about it.

Is there going to be a player that BB covets to do that though (at that spot)? That is the real question.

That's what I thought you were saying...and I don't see how Godcomplexdell could do much about it.

Is there going to be a player that BB covets to do that though (at that spot)? That is the real question.

I think BB should do it and then trade the guy somewhere else before the commish can make a ruling just to piss on Goodell.

Then the Pats can say that they actually did have first round pick. Neener neeners.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Difficult day for <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NotreDame?src=hash">#NotreDame</a> LB Jaylon Smith, who had his medicals. Ankle & knee nerve issues, teams believe he's out for 2016 -- at least</p>— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/703346089454411777">26. Februar 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Smith is the second highest rated linebacker on NFL.com and also carries the fifth highest grade in the entire draft class according to Lance Zierlein.

I'm not trying to be disagreeable, but there isn't much going on, so......why not?

I might point out that we trade 1st round picks all the time, although typically not future 1sts.

I've come to think that 1st round picks aren't worth the hype and the expense. The best thing about them is you can get a longer rookie deal and tie them up for relatively short money compared to free agency.

I like to look at recent drafts and skim through the first rounds. Lots of those guys do little to separate themselves from the guys in the 5th round, etc., etc., but short-term draft mania fogs the mind. It's more show than payoff.

I think a lot of it is giving the fans hope that the guy you take in the 1st is really going to make a difference, even though most of them don't.

1st rounders are the cornerstone of a teams ability to build a roster. It is an important teams asset. Further, why is not having one this year more important than not having one next year?

There seems to be an idea that somehow trading for a 1st rounder would stick a finger in the eye of the league. I am not sure anyone in the Patriots organization is thinking that this would be a good idea especially considering the poison pill language in the letter.

As far as draft selection in the 1st round, the Patriots have done well, at least in my view.

Also, I am not a big fan of mortgaging the future whether it is trading significant draft selection assets or having massive signing bonus money on the books. Playing it close to the vest, a bit conservative, has been a mainstay of BBs tenure as HC/GM and he has convinced me by his actions that it is a good way to do business.

If the Pats really wanted a "1st round" caliber pick they can certainly trade up to the top 5 of the second round, which would put them in the same area where they usually draft.

(More than any other year I'm hoping a 1st round "projected" player falls to the Pats in the second round, just as an FU to Goodell.)

I will say this, the Patriots have a penchant for taking chances on injured players in the draft, I do hope this year they don't. Without that 1st round selection, I would prefer they take that variable out of the mix when they draft late in the 2nd round.

If the Pats really wanted a "1st round" caliber pick they can certainly trade up to the top 5 of the second round, which would put them in the same area where they usually draft.

(More than any other year I'm hoping a 1st round "projected" player falls to the Pats in the second round, just as an FU to Goodell.)

I expect they could package their 2nd and 3rd rounder to move up the draft board easy enough. This year, with the 3rd round comp pick they are expected to get from the loss of Revis would be a good time to do it.

1st rounders are the cornerstone of a teams ability to build a roster. It is an important teams asset. Further, why is not having one this year more important than not having one next year?

There seems to be an idea that somehow trading for a 1st rounder would stick a finger in the eye of the league. I am not sure anyone in the Patriots organization is thinking that this would be a good idea especially considering the poison pill language in the letter.

As far as draft selection in the 1st round, the Patriots have done well, at least in my view.

Also, I am not a big fan of mortgaging the future whether it is trading significant draft selection assets or having massive signing bonus money on the books. Playing it close to the vest, a bit conservative, has been a mainstay of BBs tenure as HC/GM and he has convinced me by his actions that it is a good way to do business.

That was well said. I was just curious about your views so asked the question.

The Pats have done pretty well drafting in the late stages of the 1st for the most part and that is almost always where we end up. At least initially.

Those 2nd rounders have been where we see a lot of mistakes and some great picks like Gronk who was one of those guys considered a significant medical risk and we played it correctly.

I like how we play the draft overall and respect our process, but I'd like to see more consistency in the 2nd round moving forward. Of course, I thought the same thing going into the last draft where nobody had Jordan Richards anywhere near where we selected him and it remains to be seen whether he can step up and be a plus starter or join the Ras-I Dowling club along with a host of others like Jermaine Cunningham and Ron Brace.

My guess is that our 2nd could be another risk/reward guy who slips due to issues that we think may be negligible and, in effect, turn pick 64 into a guy that can return 1st round value.

Let's just hope that guy isn't another safety. I might flip completely out if we do that again.

Ron Brace was a big disappointment. Not that any of the 2nd rounders that failed to make it are more or less disappointing, but when he was drafted I was convinced he would be a "PLAYER"! But, alas, the occasional flash and a flame out...

Back