2019 Draft Prospects

Belichick told Mike Reiss yesterday that his board had just fewer than 100 players on it. Staying true to form.

Patriots met with with AJ Brown, Deebo Samuel and Noah Fant today.
Brady weapons. Yes please.

What about "Nguyen" sounding like "nWin"?

And who was the person that decided that is how a Vietnamese name should be spelled?
Been a long time since I was in Vietnam, but I do remember that they did not pronounce their names the same way we did, and there were a lot of tonals, almost like softly signing instead of speaking.

Also, the nguyen wasn't how the VIetnamese originally spelled that name. Originally they were a character-based language like Chinese and Japanese. The language was Romanized with approximations that depended on the person re-writing their language.

THe approximations change also, and did quite a bit in Chinese Pinyin. Peking became Beijing, Chungking became Chongqing, that sort of think. Westerners changed, but the Mandarin Chinese pronunciations remained same,

I'd pay good money to get a look at that list.

As much for who they aren't interested in as who they are.

In his Wednesday presser he talked about how the Pats go for players they project can fill a specific role well. Not the best player but the best role player for whatever role needs filling.
That may be part of the reason why the Pats don't often draft/sign the consensus best players. I found it interesting to think about.

For example, Hogan didn't fill his flanker role very well and BB thinks he can find someone cheaper to do a better job. I agree with him.

D3_Rl-jXsAADmZ_.jpg

That list of best pass blocking tackles does not include the potential first rounders, Willams, Dillard, Risner?:shrug_n:

That list of best pass blocking tackles does not include the potential first rounders, Willams, Dillard, Risner?:shrug_n:
It's just group of five = AAC, C-USA, MAC, MWC and Sun Belt.

Doug Kyed picks his WRs for the Pats in every round.

I have 3 objections:
First round pick: Hakeem Butler with AJ Brown as the alternate choice.
Third round pick: Miles Boykin w/ Hardman as alternate.
Fourth round pick: Stanley Morgan Jr. w/ JJAW as alternate
The only player he picked that I don't like for the Pats is David Sills. NFL
CBs will have no trouble covering him. Jalen Hurd > David Sills for the Pats.

FIRST ROUND
Picks: No. 32
A.J. Brown, Mississippi

At 6-foot, 226 pounds, Brown has the frame of a running back but the speed, quickness and agility of a slot receiver. He did the majority of his work out of the slot in 2018 but also showed the versatility to line up outside. Given his size and athleticism, we believe he could play the X, Z and slot positions in the Patriots’ offense.
He ran a 4.49-second 40-yard dash with a 7-second three-cone. That’s impressive since he’s the fifth-heaviest receiver in the 2019 draft class.
Alternate choice: Parris Campbell, Ohio State
Campbell is more of a slot playmaker than a refined receiver.
SECOND ROUND
Picks: Nos. 56, 64
Deebo Samuel, South Carolina

Samuel is another slot receiver with the build of a running back. He’s 5-foot-11, 214 pounds and ran a 4.48-second 40-yard dash, 7.03-second three-cone drill and 4.14-second short shuttle. He returned 42 kicks in college and brought back four of them for touchdowns.
Alternate choice: Andy Isabella, UMass
Isabella can play inside or outside and ran a 4.27-second hand-timed 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine.
THIRD ROUND
Picks: Nos. 73, 97, 101
Mecole Hardman, Georgia
Hardman has similar physical traits to Brandin Cooks and Phillip Dorsett with more positional versatility. He did the majority of his work out of the slot in 2019. He ran a 4.33-second 40-yard dash with a 6.75-second three-cone at 5-foot-10, 183 pounds. He also returned punts and kicks.
Alternate choice: Miles Boykin, Notre Dame
At 6-foot-4, 220 pounds, Boykin ran a 4.42-second 40-yard dash with a 1.54-second 10-yard split, 43.5-inch vertical leap, 11-foot, 8-inch broad jump, 6.77-second three-cone and 4.07-second short shuttle.
FOURTH ROUND
Picks: No. 134
David Sills, West Virginia
Sills isn’t quite as good of an athlete as many of these players, but his smarts make up for it. He’s a former quarterback who might be top in his class at reading a defense. At 6-foot-3, 211 pounds, he ran a 6.97-second three-cone with a 4.28-second short shuttle and 37.5-inch vertical leap.
Alternate choice: Terry McLaurin, Ohio State
Athletically, McLaurin is nearly a perfect fit for the Patriots.
FIFTH ROUND
Picks: None
Hunter Renfrow, Clemson
Folks have been projecting Renfrow to the Patriots since he arrived at Clemson. He’s not a speed demon, but his 6.80-second three-cone drill is a fit for the Patriots.
Alternate choice: Jalen Guyton, North Texas
Guyton would be a project as a perimeter receiver worth the investment for his athleticism.
SIXTH ROUND
Picks: No. 205
Jalen Hurd, Baylor
The Patriots brought in Hurd for a pre-draft visit. He played running back and wide receiver in college at 6-foot-5, 228 pounds. He ran an impressive 4.15-second short shuttle.
Alternate choice: Jon’Vea Johnson, Toledo
On 18 deep targets, Johnson caught 10 passes for 380 yards with seven (!) touchdowns.
SEVENTH ROUND
Picks: Nos. 243, 246, 252
Dillon Mitchell, Oregon
Oregon quarterbacks had a 112 passer rating targeting Mitchell out of the slot and 124.7 targeting Mitchell on deep passes. At 6-foot-1, 197 pounds, Mitchell ran a 4.46-second 40-yard dash with a 6.93-second three-cone and 4.29-second short shuttle.
Alternate choice: DeAndre Thompkins, Penn State
Another good athlete, Thompkins ran a 4.34-second 40-yard dash at 5-foot-11, 192 pounds.

https://nesn.com/2019/04/picking-a-wide-receiver-for-patriots-in-each-round-of-2019-nfl-draft/

QBs
https://nesn.com/2019/04/picking-a-quarterback-for-patriots-in-each-round-of-2019-nfl-draft/

RBs
https://nesn.com/2019/04/picking-a-running-back-for-patriots-in-each-round-of-2019-nfl-draft/

PFF's most underrated prospects for the 2019 NFL Draft

These are the players who haven’t received a ton of first-round hype that we’d have no problem with drafting within the first 32 picks.

WR J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, Stanford

If you only watch Arcega-Whiteside’s highlights, you’d get the impression that he struggles to separate. In Stanford’s offense though, that was almost by design. They only threw go routes as back-shoulder fades, and they had him literally post up on defenders in the end zone — which resulted in seven touchdowns. The wideout’s route tree simply wasn’t conducive to separating. He is elite in contested situations (he led the draft class in each of the past two seasons) and he is money where it matters most. No receiver in college football last year had a higher receiving grade than Arcega-Whiteside’s 90.6 on third and fourth downs.
JJ-Arcega-Whiteside-Contested-Catches-1024x576.png

Edge Chase Winovich, Michigan

Outside of his age (already 24), I’m not sure what there is to dislike about Winovich as a prospect. His 92.3 overall grade over the past two seasons is the fourth-highest of any edge defender in their last two college seasons that we’ve ever seen.
All Winovich did on the football field at Michigan was disrupt opposing offenses week after week. He earned a 92.3 overall grade over the last two seasons. Below is the full list of the Power 5 players who have earned a grade as good or better their last two seasons since we started grading:
Nick Bosa
Myles Garrett (tie)
Joey Bosa
That’s it. At the combine, he blazed an absurd 10-time (1.59) and three-cone (6.94) for a 256-pound edge. Elite production combined with elite athleticism is usually a good recipe for success on the edge. If you like production, Winovich is as good as it gets on the edge after Nick Bosa in this draft class
WR Andy Isabella, Massachusetts

When evaluators see Isabella’s stature, they’re usually quick to pigeonhole him in the slot. The UMass receiver gets the ‘undersized’ label, but that’s not the case. He’s short, he’s not small; 188 pounds is rock solid for a 5-foot-9 receiver. He’ll be able to play through contact far better than a 6-foot-4, 200-pound receiver because Isabella is far more dense at his height and weight. That showed on tape too. Even on reps where he got jammed cleanly, Isabella could still stack corners and separate down the field. With 4.31 speed, once Isabella gets a step, the defender is not making it back up.
CB David Long, Michigan

Long’s issues are obvious. He’s undersized at a shade below 5-foot-11 and pretty much exclusively played man coverage at Michigan. Projecting forward, bigger receivers in the NFL and more diverse schemes could be an issue. However ‘could’ is the keyword. In the role Long was asked to execute at Michigan, he had almost no chinks in his armor and he allowed nine catches the entire season. Long is a lock-down man coverage corner who simply doesn’t have the expected lock-down man size.
David-Long-Passer-Rating-Allowed-1024x576.png

S Darnell Savage, Maryland

Savage offers as many tools to work with as any safety in this draft class, and the encouraging thing about him is that we’ve already seen it translate to production for multiple seasons at Maryland.
C Elgton Jenkins, Mississippi State

The one trait I value above all others along the offensive line is balance. The elite linemen in the NFL almost never finish plays flat on their face (unless they brought the defender with them). It rears its head in a number of different aspects that go into offensive line play (pass sets, location in space, etc.). For my money, Jenkins has the best balance of any interior lineman in the draft class — and it showed up in the data a number of different ways. In pass protection, he allowed all of five pressures this past season and only 19 over the last three years. It also showed up with Jenkins getting flagged once all last season, and on that play (a hold against Louisiana Tech), we didn’t even downgrade him as we saw it as a clean pancake. Combine that with ideal size for either center or guard and you’ve got a first-round grade.
T Greg Little, Ole Miss

It’s almost hard to believe that a 21-year-old who started three years at left tackle in the SEC and allowed only 46 pressures over that span is being included in an article about underrated players. Especially one who figures to stay at tackle at 6-foot-5 with 35-plus inch arms with the requisite athleticism. The obvious reason is his work, or lack thereof, in the run game where he earned a 63.2 grade a season ago. No matter, give me Little’s smooth pass sets and advanced hand usage any day. To add some icing on the cake, Little has also been one of the most disciplined linemen in the class with six career penalties and only one last season.
DI Jerry Tillery, Notre Dame

Tillery isn’t quite in the same boat as the rest of the guys on the list because he’s landing in the first round of most mocks. I included him though because we are still so much higher on him than that. Tillery is a top-10 player on our draft board, and I’ve gone on record saying I wouldn’t criticize the Bucs if they drafted him at No. 5 overall. I can’t for the life of me see the on-field reasons why DeForest Buckner was a top-10 lock back in 2016 and Tillery isn’t considered the same. Tillery had a higher pass-rushing grade (92.5 vs. 84.7) while Tillery tested out better in every single drill at the combine except for broad jump, where the difference was an inch (9-7 vs. 9-8). Someone’s going to get a steal in Tillery.
Jerry-Tillery-Pass-Rush-Grade-1024x576.png

==================================

The more tape I watch on JJAW the higher he climbs on my board of WRs for the Patriots. He's a possession machine, he wins easily on contested catches, gets a solid 16.8 avg yds/catch and his 135 overall receiver passer rating ranks 2nd in this very solid class or WRs. The Pats will like that but they'll like this even more. In clutch situations, on third and fourth downs, he caught 95.2% of his catchable targets and recorded 12 explosive plays (20+ yards) which puts him #1 of this class in that category. His body control and skill at boxing out comes from his basketball background and relentless practice. When I read that Stanford had players stand in the end zone and hit him with bags, pull on him, hit him, do everything they could to make it impossible for him to come down with the ball in practice I realized he's definitely included as a Patriot kind of guy.

I've also come around on Isabella who has been a difficult evaluation. He's short but he’s not small; 188 pounds is rock solid for a 5-foot-9 receiver. He should be able to play through contact far better than a 6-foot-4, 200-pound receiver because he's far more dense at his height and weight. That showed on tape too. On reps where he got jammed cleanly, Isabella could still stack corners and separate down the field. With 4.31 speed, once Isabella gets a step, the defender is not making it back up. My worry on Isabella has always been getting a free release from the LOS when he's lined up outside against NFL CBs. I'd draft him and be confident in leaving that up to McD to figure out by scheme. I still think he's drafted long before BB is pulling the trigger on him.

PFF's most underrated prospects for the 2019 NFL Draft

These are the players who haven’t received a ton of first-round hype that we’d have no problem with drafting within the first 32 picks.

WR J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, Stanford

If you only watch Arcega-Whiteside’s highlights, you’d get the impression that he struggles to separate. In Stanford’s offense though, that was almost by design. They only threw go routes as back-shoulder fades, and they had him literally post up on defenders in the end zone — which resulted in seven touchdowns. The wideout’s route tree simply wasn’t conducive to separating. He is elite in contested situations (he led the draft class in each of the past two seasons) and he is money where it matters most. No receiver in college football last year had a higher receiving grade than Arcega-Whiteside’s 90.6 on third and fourth downs.
JJ-Arcega-Whiteside-Contested-Catches-1024x576.png

Edge Chase Winovich, Michigan

Outside of his age (already 24), I’m not sure what there is to dislike about Winovich as a prospect. His 92.3 overall grade over the past two seasons is the fourth-highest of any edge defender in their last two college seasons that we’ve ever seen.
All Winovich did on the football field at Michigan was disrupt opposing offenses week after week. He earned a 92.3 overall grade over the last two seasons. Below is the full list of the Power 5 players who have earned a grade as good or better their last two seasons since we started grading:
Nick Bosa
Myles Garrett (tie)
Joey Bosa
That’s it. At the combine, he blazed an absurd 10-time (1.59) and three-cone (6.94) for a 256-pound edge. Elite production combined with elite athleticism is usually a good recipe for success on the edge. If you like production, Winovich is as good as it gets on the edge after Nick Bosa in this draft class
WR Andy Isabella, Massachusetts

When evaluators see Isabella’s stature, they’re usually quick to pigeonhole him in the slot. The UMass receiver gets the ‘undersized’ label, but that’s not the case. He’s short, he’s not small; 188 pounds is rock solid for a 5-foot-9 receiver. He’ll be able to play through contact far better than a 6-foot-4, 200-pound receiver because Isabella is far more dense at his height and weight. That showed on tape too. Even on reps where he got jammed cleanly, Isabella could still stack corners and separate down the field. With 4.31 speed, once Isabella gets a step, the defender is not making it back up.
CB David Long, Michigan

Long’s issues are obvious. He’s undersized at a shade below 5-foot-11 and pretty much exclusively played man coverage at Michigan. Projecting forward, bigger receivers in the NFL and more diverse schemes could be an issue. However ‘could’ is the keyword. In the role Long was asked to execute at Michigan, he had almost no chinks in his armor and he allowed nine catches the entire season. Long is a lock-down man coverage corner who simply doesn’t have the expected lock-down man size.
David-Long-Passer-Rating-Allowed-1024x576.png

S Darnell Savage, Maryland

Savage offers as many tools to work with as any safety in this draft class, and the encouraging thing about him is that we’ve already seen it translate to production for multiple seasons at Maryland.
C Elgton Jenkins, Mississippi State

The one trait I value above all others along the offensive line is balance. The elite linemen in the NFL almost never finish plays flat on their face (unless they brought the defender with them). It rears its head in a number of different aspects that go into offensive line play (pass sets, location in space, etc.). For my money, Jenkins has the best balance of any interior lineman in the draft class — and it showed up in the data a number of different ways. In pass protection, he allowed all of five pressures this past season and only 19 over the last three years. It also showed up with Jenkins getting flagged once all last season, and on that play (a hold against Louisiana Tech), we didn’t even downgrade him as we saw it as a clean pancake. Combine that with ideal size for either center or guard and you’ve got a first-round grade.
T Greg Little, Ole Miss

It’s almost hard to believe that a 21-year-old who started three years at left tackle in the SEC and allowed only 46 pressures over that span is being included in an article about underrated players. Especially one who figures to stay at tackle at 6-foot-5 with 35-plus inch arms with the requisite athleticism. The obvious reason is his work, or lack thereof, in the run game where he earned a 63.2 grade a season ago. No matter, give me Little’s smooth pass sets and advanced hand usage any day. To add some icing on the cake, Little has also been one of the most disciplined linemen in the class with six career penalties and only one last season.
DI Jerry Tillery, Notre Dame

Tillery isn’t quite in the same boat as the rest of the guys on the list because he’s landing in the first round of most mocks. I included him though because we are still so much higher on him than that. Tillery is a top-10 player on our draft board, and I’ve gone on record saying I wouldn’t criticize the Bucs if they drafted him at No. 5 overall. I can’t for the life of me see the on-field reasons why DeForest Buckner was a top-10 lock back in 2016 and Tillery isn’t considered the same. Tillery had a higher pass-rushing grade (92.5 vs. 84.7) while Tillery tested out better in every single drill at the combine except for broad jump, where the difference was an inch (9-7 vs. 9-8). Someone’s going to get a steal in Tillery.
Jerry-Tillery-Pass-Rush-Grade-1024x576.png

==================================

The more tape I watch on JJAW the higher he climbs on my board of WRs for the Patriots. He's a possession machine, he wins easily on contested catches, gets a solid 16.8 avg yds/catch and his 135 overall receiver passer rating ranks 2nd in this very solid class or WRs. The Pats will like that but they'll like this even more. In clutch situations, on third and fourth downs, he caught 95.2% of his catchable targets and recorded 12 explosive plays (20+ yards) which puts him #1 of this class in that category. His body control and skill at boxing out comes from his basketball background and relentless practice. When I read that Stanford had players stand in the end zone and hit him with bags, pull on him, hit him, do everything they could to make it impossible for him to come down with the ball in practice I realized he's definitely included as a Patriot kind of guy.

I've also come around on Isabella who has been a difficult evaluation. He's short but he’s not small; 188 pounds is rock solid for a 5-foot-9 receiver. He should be able to play through contact far better than a 6-foot-4, 200-pound receiver because he's far more dense at his height and weight. That showed on tape too. On reps where he got jammed cleanly, Isabella could still stack corners and separate down the field. With 4.31 speed, once Isabella gets a step, the defender is not making it back up. My worry on Isabella has always been getting a free release from the LOS when he's lined up outside against NFL CBs. I'd draft him and be confident in leaving that up to McD to figure out by scheme. I still think he's drafted long before BB is pulling the trigger on him.

Arcega-Whiteside wasn't money in the two biggest games Stanford played last year. Certainly not all his fault though.

Everybody keeps talking up Tillery, but I watched Notre Dame several times last year and even though I was aware that he was a top prospect he did little to make me notice him.

Contrast that with Wilkins of Clemson and you can't go a set of downs without him shredding somebody.

I get that is an unscientific way to look at it, but that's how I, and a lot of people, percieve college players. Do something to demand the attention of the observer. I don't want Tillery here unless it's after the 2nd.

Everybody keeps talking up Tillery, but I watched Notre Dame several times last year and even though I was aware that he was a top prospect he did little to make me notice him.

Contrast that with Wilkins of Clemson and you can't go a set of downs without him shredding somebody.

I get that is an unscientific way to look at it, but that's how I, and a lot of people, percieve college players. Do something to demand the attention of the observer. I don't want Tillery here unless it's after the 2nd.

Yup.

18 yrs ago today the Pats drafted DE Richard Seymour.

Never forget...
D4rt5o_XkAEexzn.jpg

Greg Gabriel‏ @greggabe
Doing my final WR rankings and no I don’t have Andy Isabella in my top 20 WR’s. I thing he is one of the most overrated WR’s in draft. Yes he’s fast but a very small receiving radius, doesn’t extend to make catches are some reasons

(Greg Gabriel has 30 years NFL scouting experience, 9 years as Scouting Director (Bears) & http://Profootballweekly.com , http://670theScore.com , analyst 670theScore)

Evan Silva‏Verified account @evansilva <small class="time"> </small>
Evan Silva Retweeted Greg Gabriel
Isabella doesn't have a lot of support from NFL types. WR15 in <s>@</s>BobMcGinn's scouts/execs poll. <s>@</s>Gil_Brandt's WR10. Round 3-4 projection & Phillip Dorsett comp via <s>@</s>LanceZierlein

I agree with your thoughts on Tillery. I wouldn't touch him. Bust material, imo.

I'd pay good money to get a look at that list.

As much for who they aren't interested in as who they are.

How much good money do you got because i can't imagine the price tag.

And how about that 100 number itself. If there are 25 positions or thereabouts, they have 4 players aligned to a given position and that is enough to last the 7 rounds? And maybe include the UDFAs?

Maybe they have Mensa list for football IQ.

Back