2020 Draft

Plenty of little guys break out for a year or two. He doesn’t have to be Sproles. Woodhead would be nice.

"Little Danny Woodhead". A fun fun Player to watch. :thumb:

Cheers

Exactly. Woodhead was one of my fav Pats backs.

If this kid can PS and then give us 3-4 exciting years I’m fine with it.

Why quibble on a UDFA flyer? Costs nothing but low level cash.

Exactly. Woodhead was one of my fav Pats backs.

If this kid can PS and then give us 3-4 exciting years I’m fine with it.

Why quibble on a UDFA flyer? Costs nothing but low level cash.

This is the time of the year where all we have is a bunch of new guys with potential. Most won't make it, so will. One or two will do really well. What else do we have to do except read about the guys we took and try to figure out which ones might make it.

Even in the worst Pats years in the bad old days, each new season was exciting because anything could happen. Beats focusing on what probably won't happen. This year seems more negative than most with less reason. The bar for 2020 is set low. Having a winning season is not a given. For the first time in 20 years, winning the division will be a cause for celebration, not hum-hum, wake me up in time to watch the superbowl. Victories this year will be more delicious, losses more painful.

Don't expect a lot of losses. Watched a clip of Stidham's preseason passes. Looked even better than I remember. Pretty decisive in the pocket. Can't wait!

This is the time of the year where all we have is a bunch of new guys with potential. Most won't make it, so will. One or two will do really well. What else do we have to do except read about the guys we took and try to figure out which ones might make it.

Even in the worst Pats years in the bad old days, each new season was exciting because anything could happen. Beats focusing on what probably won't happen. This year seems more negative than most with less reason. The bar for 2020 is set low. Having a winning season is not a given. For the first time in 20 years, winning the division will be a cause for celebration, not hum-hum, wake me up in time to watch the superbowl. Victories this year will be more delicious, losses more painful.

Don't expect a lot of losses. Watched a clip of Stidham's preseason passes. Looked even better than I remember. Pretty decisive in the pocket. Can't wait!

Yeah we might be able to go 3-1 in the preseason....lol. Anyway I agree with you, nobody knows who is going to be what, and there is no way to tell. I remember when we had receivers that tore it up in preseason and we were singing their praises and then they get cut and never hear of them again. Remember when we all saw TJ Moe as the next welker? I do think that the pats need to hit on a lot more guys than they have been lately to get us back on track.

Anyway I agree with you, nobody knows who is going to be what, and there is no way to tell.

Not what I said at all. Almost exactly the opposite, in fact. Look at each new season with anticipation. Assume the best. There will always be players that will surprise you by being better than the gloom-and-doomers could possible imagine.

Repeat each spring.

Yeah we might be able to go 3-1 in the preseason....lol. Anyway I agree with you, nobody knows who is going to be what, and there is no way to tell. I remember when we had receivers that tore it up in preseason and we were singing their praises and then they get cut and never hear of them again. Remember when we all saw TJ Moe as the next welker? I do think that the pats need to hit on a lot more guys than they have been lately to get us back on track.

TJ Moe was an unfortunate case, no fault of his own. The kid suffered a ruptured achilles in the 2013 TC and was released injured in March. Josh Boyce was another who didn't make it. Add Jeremy Gallon as a guy who never even gave himself a chance.

I don't know (and never could find out) who in the Pats' organization was responsible for those guys or that disastrous 2013 WR draft class - Aaron Dobson, Boyce, et. al. UDFA KThompkins was the best of that crew. Then Jeremy Gallon in '14 didn't even want to play pro ball. Damn. Finally, BB tinkered with his scouting, decided to skip '15 altogether, and drafted MMitchell in '16. With Mitchell's draft I thought BB was on the right track (injury caveat) then those prior injuries resurfaced...and in '18 BB's team chose Berrios in the 6th and his prior injury hx came back to haunt him, too. He was cut 4-5 mos later injured. (He's a JETE now, btw)
So for a year, 2016, I thought BB had straightened out his WR scouting...then Harry 2 rounds too early. Conclusion: As of now, BB has not fixed his WR scouting.

Note to BB: My services are available free of charge. Give me 1 pick next year in the first 4 rounds and you'll be a very happy guy. My pick will be your best pick since Edelman, 12 years ago.

TJ Moe was an unfortunate case, no fault of his own. The kid suffered a ruptured achilles in the 2013 TC and was released injured in March. Josh Boyce was another who didn't make it. Add Jeremy Gallon as a guy who never even gave himself a chance.

I don't know (and never could find out) who in the Pats' organization was responsible for those guys or that disastrous 2013 WR draft class - Aaron Dobson, Boyce, et. al. UDFA KThompkins was the best of that crew. Then Jeremy Gallon in '14 didn't even want to play pro ball. Damn. Finally, BB tinkered with his scouting, decided to skip '15 altogether, and drafted MMitchell in '16. With Mitchell's draft I thought BB was on the right track (injury caveat) then those prior injuries resurfaced...and in '18 BB's team chose Berrios in the 6th and his prior injury hx came back to haunt him, too. He was cut 4-5 mos later injured. (He's a JETE now, btw)
So for a year, 2016, I thought BB had straightened out his WR scouting...then Harry 2 rounds too early. Conclusion: As of now, BB has not fixed his WR scouting.

Note to BB: My services are available free of charge. Give me 1 pick next year in the first 4 rounds and you'll be a very happy guy. My pick will be your best pick since Edelman, 12 years ago.

This whole situation is probably the second decision of the Belichick era (Malcolm being the first) that I have a hard time wrapping my head around.

For a football genius to not self assess and cure his WR scouting/development ailments over 20 years is mind boggling.

We have to rank bottom 5-10 in terms of WR drafting and development over the past 20 years.

He’s not a football genius. That’s the answer. He’s an above average coach and a great coordinator, but no genius. It’s time to move past this in BB we trust.

Luckily WR is one of the least important positions. You just need some competent guys, not great ones. Unfortunately it’s been hard for this team to even draft competent.

BB would laugh his ass off at my picks. lol I think failed picks hit us closer obviously, but overall, there have been some good ones, just not at certain positions, but hell it seemed to have worked out pretty well. I thought Mitchell was a keeper, but its hard sometimes to just know if guys can physically handle the NFL. But he will always have a spot with me from that super bowl.

---------- Post added at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

Not what I said at all. Almost exactly the opposite, in fact. Look at each new season with anticipation. Assume the best. There will always be players that will surprise you by being better than the gloom-and-doomers could possible imagine.

Repeat each spring.

Well thats just it, I never assume anything. Every year I was surprised that the Pats once again stayed a contender. I always thought it would come to an end at some point. I tend to not let myself get let down, we all have different ways to think about things.

Rodrigo "Hot Rod" Blankenship AKA the best K in the 2020 draft.

Wears thick specs and pink cleats.

6 for 9 from beyond 50 yards over his career at Georgia. Raw leg strength with loud contact in his swing and proper trajectory even from distance. Good at kicking through the EZ not that we need that with Bailey, but you never know. Tends to get off kilter and bunches his misses.

440 points as a Bulldog with an 82.5 accuracy.

Bill has a proven track record of expending useful draft picks for punters and kickers, so he's not a far-fetched projection to be a Patriot.
Holy smokes! You've had some great calls over the years but this one was fantastic.

Holy smokes! You've had some great calls over the years but this one was fantastic.
One of Hawg's great traits is that when he posts it's well thought out yet clear and concise. Nor is he echoing other posters. His posts often surprise me with their originality. And he is above all highly observant. I've kissed his bu

One of Hawg's great traits is that when he posts it's well thought out yet clear and concise. Nor is he echoing other posters. His posts often surprise me with their originality. And he is above all highly observant. I've kissed his butt enuff here. Long live Hawg.

Tua is pretty good but I never thought he was elite, fwiw. Plus his handlers (read parents) will always have their say for a coach.
You have to be careful when assessing Bama players bc of all the talent around them which makes players appear better than they really are.
Just look at how well Tua's WRs, Ruggs and Jeudy, are doing in the NFL now. Also consider that Bama had 2 other WRs who were better than them on the roster who are playing well now for Mac Jones.

Tua is pretty good but I never thought he was elite, fwiw. Plus his handlers (read parents) will always have their say for a coach.
You have to be careful when assessing Bama players bc of all the talent around them which makes players appear better than they really are.
Just look at how well Tua's WRs, Ruggs and Jeudy, are doing in the NFL now and also consider that Bama had 2 other WRs who were better than them on the roster who are playing well now.
True, but, some QB's end up doing OK in the NFL...

Back