2020 - Playoff Thread

It's a bit early, but we can track movements up and down the likely fixtures week by week.

If the season ended now, this is what we'd get with the new 7 teams per conference format. Only 1st seed gets the bye. Some intriguing matchups, in the AFC I think our Buffalo pals would be a bit nervous going up against the Browns. Which is some statement to make.

Annotation 2020-12-01 162622.jpg

Pretty cool quotes in here from the fans. I know many are up here are not rooting for Tom as all but these tweets are exactly my sentiments as well. Go TFB!

With New England not in playoffs, Patriots fans have turned to Tom Brady, Buccaneers​

By Ryan Hannable

14 hours ago

For the first time since 2008, the Patriots are not playing meaningful games in January, so what are fans doing?
Rooting for Tom Brady and the Buccaneers.

Almost 80% of Patriots fans say they are rooting for Brady and the Bucs, according to a Twitter poll. And the television ratings back that up.
According to NBC Sports, the Tampa Bay/Washington game last weekend received a 19.6 rating in Boston. That is higher than the Patriots’ Week 16 game against the Bills, which received a 18.3 rating in Boston.

Now, that was when the Patriots were eliminated from playoff contention, as the game before in Miami received a 27.6 rating in Boston. But still, the point remains, Patriots fans have now turned to Brady and the Bucs.

Here’s a sampling of responses on Twitter from fans as to why they are rooting on Tampa Bay.

@ClahkyTheChief: Watching him and the Patriots for the past 20 years I have fallen more in love with his play and him as a player than the franchise itself. I knew he was what was keeping us relevant. He’s my favorite athlete of all time and I’d love to see him continue to add on to his legacy

@pfitz7: I feel loyalty to the guy that gave us so many great wins the last 20 years

@ChriswithaTIAN: Absolutely rooting for him. The man gave us 20 years!

@venjnovich: Yes because he was the single greatest player / winner in any Boston Sports Franchise of All Time (possible exception, obviously Bill Russell). I cannot FATHOM those who aren't rooting for him.

@bobbyblanco1: Of course I’m rooting for TB12..... WHY? REALLY?? If you & your significant other separate and the child/children go live with the your partner you’d still root for em right? Same applies here, wish @TOMBRADY & @Buccaneers nothing but success

And the list went on and on, as hundreds engaged and shared their opinions making it clear how much Brady means to them and the region based on what he gave the Patriots franchise for 20 years.

This doesn’t mean all fans agree, as the poll indicated almost one in four fans will not be rooting for the former Patriots quarterback, and it’s understandable as to why, too.

Brady winning playoff games and potentially a Super Bowl with another team would be hard to take given how things ended in New England, and also a blow to those who sided with Bill Belichick in the QB vs. coach debate.

There are also some who do not like who Brady has become the last few years and is seemingly a different person than he was at the beginning of his career.

Would things be different in terms of a rooting interest the Patriots had at least made the playoffs? Most likely.

But, with the Patriots missing the postseason for the first time in 11 years, at least Patriots fans have something to cheer for in Brady and the Bucs.

No. I root for the laundry 1st.

@ClahkyTheChief: Watching him and the Patriots for the past 20 years I have fallen more in love with his play and him as a player than the franchise itself.

@ClahkyTheChief: Watching him and the Patriots for the past 20 years I have fallen more in love with his play and him as a player than the franchise itself.
This is an interesting quote. I do think Brady has superseded the Patriots franchise as the greatest player in NFL history and I can identify with this quote because he showcases such excellence every time he steps on the field and that is intoxicating just as a fan to watch. I have always been laundry first since I first started watching the Patriots in the early 80s. I figured that would never change but when Brady left and started playing again, I found myself rooting for him as hard as I have for the Pats. It is actually difficult to separate the two for me because he won so much for us. I will always root for the Pats to win every week but as long as Brady is playing, I will also root for him just as much. He has provided too much joy and inspiration over 20 years to just turn it off.

Same here. Rooting for him with that ugly Bucs uniform just feels wrong especially given how things played out last season.

My love for the Pats supersedes love for Brady by a long shot.

Not a chance I root for another team to win a superbowl. As far as I'm concerned the season is over on to the draft

I'm going to watch the games...but, probably hope that the Browns and/or the Bills win it all. They deserve to win. They both went through hell...
Yeah. I would not mind seeing either one of them win too. I love football too much not to care who wins the champ. This weekend is the best weekend of football IMO. Last 8 teams standing. Every team is a good team and can win.

Rooting for a team to win a game is different than hoping they win the SB. I'll be fine no matter who wins the SB but unless I have bet laid down, other than the Chiefs or Ravens, I really don't care.
I do NOT want the Chiefs or Ravens to win. So I guess you could say I'm rooting against certain teams far more than I'm rooting for any team.

Back