2020 - Playoff Thread

It's a bit early, but we can track movements up and down the likely fixtures week by week.

If the season ended now, this is what we'd get with the new 7 teams per conference format. Only 1st seed gets the bye. Some intriguing matchups, in the AFC I think our Buffalo pals would be a bit nervous going up against the Browns. Which is some statement to make.

Annotation 2020-12-01 162622.jpg

Aaron Donald is already being talked about as a potential defensive GOAT, greater even than LT. I think it's far too early for that, I can see a case for eyeing him a future candidate for DL greatness or front 7, but defensive positions are so different, very hard if not impossible to say player X is the greatest Defensive player of all time. I think you need to break it down, greatest LB, DE, CB. Safety etc

But Donald really is something special. it seems like he entered the league and just lept so quickly over JJ Watt.

If he's fully healthy, Rodgers could be in for a torid time.

I'm definitely looking forward to Packers - Rams and I guess to a lesser extent Ravens - Bills

For whatever reason it turns me off to see playoff games played in domes, so not too excited about Bucs - Saints. I know it's an odd reason, but yeah...

Lamar Jackson said he has "zero experience" playing in the snow and he hopes he doesn't have to Saturday night.
Buffalo forecast: Occasional snow showers. Low 32F. Winds WSW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of snow 60%. Snowfall around one inch. Higher wind gusts possible.
Light snow shouldn't affect him.

Lamar is interesting in that he plays well in cold weather (brutally cold could be different) but has difficulty with precipitation whether it's rain or snow.
Who can forget the Nov. 15 game vs our Pats in rainy conditions, a 23-17 Pats win?
+1 for being able to comprehending what he said. That's a gift I believe...

So who do y’all think wins? Saints, or Bucs? Does Brady get this defense finally figured out?

Ill say this, I’ve liked the Bucs for a very long time, and evans has been one of my favorite players since he entered the league. He’s underrated in my opinion, and a true warrior with playing injured effectively, and what he’s done the past 7 seasons or however many it is. So happy to see him get some postseason success. If Tom had to leave I wanted him in Tampa. Two of my best football watching buddies are huge bucs fans, and they’d always root for the pats for me, and I’d return the favor.
It’s incredible how happy Bucs fans are about Brady. They are not taking this for granted in the least. It’s really easy for me to root for them, especially with the Patriots out of the playoffs.
I like Evans a lot too. Very rare to see a player perform that well while injured. I am happy for him and the Bucs team that they get this experience and national exposure.

I think Brady and the O put up points but I don't know about their D. Getting White back will help but if they do cover 2 again, it will be a nightmare with Brees eating them up. I really hope they do some press man to at least challenge the receivers and force Brees to try to throw deep.

I feel like if it is close near the end than the Bucs pull it out but it is really hard to predict this game.

So who do y’all think wins? Saints, or Bucs? Does Brady get this defense finally figured out?

Ill say this, I’ve liked the Bucs for a very long time, and evans has been one of my favorite players since he entered the league. He’s underrated in my opinion, and a true warrior with playing injured effectively, and what he’s done the past 7 seasons or however many it is. So happy to see him get some postseason success. If Tom had to leave I wanted him in Tampa. Two of my best football watching buddies are huge bucs fans, and they’d always root for the pats for me, and I’d return the favor.
It’s incredible how happy Bucs fans are about Brady. They are not taking this for granted in the least. It’s really easy for me to root for them, especially with the Patriots out of the playoffs.

Right now I have to go with the Saints.
That could change with the upcoming injury report.

Buccaneers at Saints (-3, 52)
Saints -3 (-110)
If one more person says Tom Brady can’t lose three times to the Saints, I’ll like this pick even more. Since 1970, NFL teams that beat an opponent twice and meet again in the playoffs are 14-7 in that third meeting. So much for that narrative. Bettors love to bet on Brady and that’s no different in this matchup. Tampa Bay’s offense has drastically improved over the last six weeks and Antonio Brown has provided much needed balance. But I believe in the Saints’ defense and their ability to apply pressure. Let’s not forget that New Orleans is rounding into form on offense, too, with Drew Brees, Alvin Kamara and Michael Thomas all finally healthy. I’ll take the more complete team at home to win by a touchdown.

Ravens at Bills (-3, 49.5)
Ravens +3 (-115)
Buffalo has been the public darling this year and the song remains the same this weekend. One Vegas bookmaker told me that 70 percent of the betting slips at his shop have been written on the Bills laying the points. That’s certainly not the end-all, be-all, but the disrespect for Baltimore continues to show. Ironically enough, the Ravens are cooking with gas — they’ve won six straight and covered seven straight. John Harbaugh’s bunch has found their stride and momentum is a dangerous thing in the postseason. Last week, Buffalo allowed Indianapolis to move the ball at will (472 total yards) and was truly lucky to get out of that game alive. A rejuvenated Lamar Jackson and that strong Ravens’ running attack will open up everything in play-action and read options. Plus, you get the better defense catching points.

Rams at Packers (-6.5, 45.5)
Rams team total Under 19.5 (-110)
Talk about the worst-case scenario for the Los Angeles Rams. Starting quarterback Jared Goff and his dislocated throwing thumb head to the Frozen Tundra to play the Packers in 30-degree Green Bay. Yikes. The Rams’ struggles in cold weather have been well chronicled and I think they’re really going to struggle to move the football against a Green Bay defense that has improved immensely over the last two months. For all the talk about Aaron Rodgers and Davante Adams, the Pack have allowed 16, 24, 16, 14 and 16 points in their last five games. There’s a reason this point total is set at 45.5 – bookmakers know L.A. is offensively limited and that they want no part of a track meet against Rodgers. The final scores that keep calibrating in my head are in the area of 27-13 or 24-17 Green Bay. Go Under 19.5 Rams points.

I think GB wins big. I just can't see Goff doing anything in the cold temps with a broken thumb. I do like McVay over LaFleur though for this game so perhaps that D can do to Rodgers what the Niners did last year and have him turtle before halftime. That is what I hope happens but I doubt it. GB wins by two scores.

I like the Ravens to upset the Bills. I want the Bills to win but I just don't trust their soft D vs Lamar who has some real moxie going on right now. I also like the way the Ravens D played vs the Titans. That is championship defense. I really hope I am wrong on this game as I desperately want the Bills to advance to beat KC but I have a bad feeling they go down to Ravens.

I think KC wins as well. I like the way the Browns are playing and maybe they catch KC a little rusty in the first quarter from the lay-off but I don't see KC losing this game. They pull away late and win by 10.

I like the Bucs to upset the Saints just because of how well the Bucs overall are playing vs how average the Saints are playing. That being said, I hate the Tampa cover 2 zone. If they don't play press man in this game then Brady will have to outscore Brees which I think he can do but it will be tough. I think Tampa jumps out early and never trails and wins by 7.

Last edited:
Good Stuff!!

If the Rams beat GB, that will be the upset of the season, to me. I think Rogers is just too seasoned to lose this game, but I could be wrong and living in the midst of Bears/Packers country, seeing them both out would be nice.

Buffalo struggles with the run. That's going to be the reason I think Baltimore wins, BUT, if it snows enough to affect footing, I'll take Allen over Lamar's floater passes any day, especially with our Receivers.

Cleveland swamped on Pittsburgh, but 2 things - emotion and Pittsburgh just shit the bed in December - and good, I'm sick of them, too.

NO - TB is the game of the week. God, I hate Brady lol but you have to know he's bringing the intensity to this game against another HOF'er. Breeze vs Brady is just too good and too close to call, but I would not be shocked by either team winning

Back