2020 - Playoff Thread

It's a bit early, but we can track movements up and down the likely fixtures week by week.

If the season ended now, this is what we'd get with the new 7 teams per conference format. Only 1st seed gets the bye. Some intriguing matchups, in the AFC I think our Buffalo pals would be a bit nervous going up against the Browns. Which is some statement to make.

Annotation 2020-12-01 162622.jpg

I gotta say that awful performance by the Rams def really really surprised me.

I’m not sure if I’m ready to give credit to the packers.
Yeah. I agree. What a terrible brain fart by Donald on that penalty early. Changed the whole tenor of the game. The Packers can def. be beat as they can be run on and passed on. It is just a matter of containing Rodgers who is playing great. I think the Bucs would fare much better than the Saints because Brady is a great cold weather QB unlike Brees and the Bucs Dline can bother Rodgers like they did earlier in the season when they picked him twice and flat out made him quit at halftime.

i hope HipKat will chime in on what the backstory is behind Milano's pregame comments.
This was the rest of the comment

It would help if the writer of the article didn't just cherry-pick one sentence from the whole interview.

“We’re pretty confident in being able to contain him,” said Bills linebacker Matt Milano on Thursday.

“You gotta be ready to rock, you know? He can make anything happen at any time. Being aware of him at all times is gonna be key for us,” Milano said. “We just gotta be sound tacklers. A lot of other quarterbacks could just run it up and they’re gonna slide or be one cut. With Lamar, he’s a very shifty guy. ... You just gotta make a play. That’s what it really comes down to.”

Milano said it’s a fine line when trying to prepare for Jackson. If you overthink it that could lead to disaster because of his playmaking ability. “Once you try and put a pin in exactly what it is to defend it, that’s when you really lose,” Milano said. “You just got to go out there and make it happen and not think too much. Play fast, play free and everybody’s gotta be running to the ball at all times because you never know when he’s gonna slip.”

Leslie Frazier put together an excellent game plan last night.
Which begs the question -- why can't anybody stop Josh Allen from doing the thing where he escapes pressure by rolling to his right and firing it on the run?

The kid is very athletic for his size and to me that play is his bread and butter. I don't know if I just notice
it when it happens as a form of confirmation bias or it's really his go-to thing. Maybe a spy from his right on 3rd and long with the aim of preventing him from getting free outside. He's
also pretty good going to his left, but not as comfortable.

I don't know if others notice the same thing, but I invite people to watch for it next week. There has to be a way to take that play away from him.

Even if that is doable I don't really know how you stop that kid now that he's got a clue. I think the wind affected everybody last night, but he can see over the top and drive the ball to
any part of the field from almost any situation. Excellent improviser. He is pretty smart about how and when to run. Plus, he really wants it and he is strong as a bull. Buffalo has done a
fine job developing him. I certainly had my doubts, but he's good now and should get a lot better.

I'd quite like the Browns to win for a number of reasons.

I first got into Football in 86/87. I was particularly enamoured with the Dawg Pound and their rowdiness, including throwing dog biscuits at players.

My best friend was thankfully (in hindsight) a Pats fan, which has worked out quite well.

Also, the ex QB and now positon coach from our UK team is from Mansfield, OH. He's a good bloke and it would be nice to see the Browns do well.

This was the rest of the comment

It would help if the writer of the article didn't just cherry-pick one sentence from the whole interview.

“We’re pretty confident in being able to contain him,” said Bills linebacker Matt Milano on Thursday.

“You gotta be ready to rock, you know? He can make anything happen at any time. Being aware of him at all times is gonna be key for us,” Milano said. “We just gotta be sound tacklers. A lot of other quarterbacks could just run it up and they’re gonna slide or be one cut. With Lamar, he’s a very shifty guy. ... You just gotta make a play. That’s what it really comes down to.
Thanks H-K
Buffalo defense definitely backed it up.

If Buffalo wasn't so windy last night, it would have been a blow out. Allen left 100+ yards in the wind. Literally. Probably equated to 10 or more points.

Back