2020 - Playoff Thread

It's a bit early, but we can track movements up and down the likely fixtures week by week.

If the season ended now, this is what we'd get with the new 7 teams per conference format. Only 1st seed gets the bye. Some intriguing matchups, in the AFC I think our Buffalo pals would be a bit nervous going up against the Browns. Which is some statement to make.

Annotation 2020-12-01 162622.jpg

My mistake, I was thinking of the Green Bay.

Regardless, to say that Brady was the reason for TB winning yesterday is ridiculous. It was their defense.

Without those turnovers, how many TDs did TB score?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Regardless, to say that Brady was the reason for TB winning yesterday is ridiculous. It was their defense.

They don't win that game without Brady scoring on the short fields and going 9 for 17 on 3rd and 4th down conversions to keep the drives alive. He scored all 3 Tds - 2 passing, 1 rushing. He was methodical, did not make any mistakes and also audibled to all those runs because the Saints were playing 2 safeties deep daring the Bucs to run. That is what is great about Brady. He does not care about stats. He cares about winning and will hand it off all day if it means his team wins.

Rodgers by far played the best of all the QBs.

I will agree that Brady alone was not the reason Tampa Bay won that game. I will further agree the defense played a tremendous game, and any team which goes +4 in the turnover margin should win the game basically regardless of the output level of the offense. In fact, I am unaware of a single instance of a team going +4 in turnover margin and losing in recent memory. Maybe it's happened, but my presumption is that statistically it's rare, though I'm not going to devote excessive time to verifying that gut feeling.

I don't really care who you want to point to in terms of that - the defense, the coaching, Brees, Cook and Kamara, the offense for not turning the ball over, you can slice the credit or blame pie any way you want. Makes no difference to me, it's a team sport and there's plenty of credit or blame to dish out as one sees fit. That was not the assertion I contested. The assertion I contested was that a completion percentage above 50% but below 70%, roughly 200 yards, and a passer rating above 80 but below 100 was worth torching someone over. Though unspectacular, it's hardly terrible, and toss in 3 TDs, whether on short fields or not, and scoring 30 on an opponent, and generally in my opinion you'll see no complaints, assuming folks don't have external motivation for doing so or double standards. Jared Allen's performance was comparable to Brady's, in many ways worse. If Brady's performance was terrible, and he needed to be bailed out and carried by the defense, logic would dictate the same would hold true for Allen.

So if folks would be torching Brady for his performance, were they not all too busy worshipping the ground he walks on and overinflating his contributions to the team, which seemed to be the gist of what you were arguing, I would expect the same to be true of Allen, right? I have seen no evidence of them doing so, and as such I believe your complaints about Brady's performance, and insistence that folks defending it are biased and would complain were it not him, are not grounded in reality.

From my perspective it looked like a solid team win, where the offense and special teams struggled at times but did enough to win when paired with a dominant defensive showing. We've seen our fair share of them and I'll take those 10 times out of 10, doesn't matter how "pretty" the win is. And Brady did not carry the team on his back but considering the unfavorable matchup he also did not overextend and force things that weren't there, avoiding the same sort of costly mistakes Brees on the other side was making. Getting 4 turnovers after all doesn't help much if you don't score points on them, or if you match them with 4 turnovers yourself. I don't necessarily think you disagree with any of that either, I'm just saying, you're accusing someone else of bias in their analysis and judgement when your own does not appear to be free of it either.

LOL.
Brady was carried by his defense .
It’s not a crime. It’s happened to Brady before, like in the SB against the Rams two years ago.

Most QBs would have easily had the same stat line as Brady, particularly with that loaded offense.
Brady’s long drives resulted in FGs, not TDs.

I will agree that Brady alone was not the reason Tampa Bay won that game. I will further agree the defense played a tremendous game, and any team which goes +4 in the turnover margin should win the game basically regardless of the output level of the offense. In fact, I am unaware of a single instance of a team going +4 in turnover margin and losing in recent memory. Maybe it's happened, but my presumption is that statistically it's rare, though I'm not going to devote excessive time to verifying that gut feeling.

I don't really care who you want to point to in terms of that - the defense, the coaching, Brees, Cook and Kamara, the offense for not turning the ball over, you can slice the credit or blame pie any way you want. Makes no difference to me, it's a team sport and there's plenty of credit or blame to dish out as one sees fit. That was not the assertion I contested. The assertion I contested was that a completion percentage above 50% but below 70%, roughly 200 yards, and a passer rating above 80 but below 100 was worth torching someone over. Though unspectacular, it's hardly terrible, and toss in 3 TDs, whether on short fields or not, and scoring 30 on an opponent, and generally in my opinion you'll see no complaints, assuming folks don't have external motivation for doing so or double standards. Jared Allen's performance was comparable to Brady's, in many ways worse. If Brady's performance was terrible, and he needed to be bailed out and carried by the defense, logic would dictate the same would hold true for Allen.

So if folks would be torching Brady for his performance, were they not all too busy worshipping the ground he walks on and overinflating his contributions to the team, which seemed to be the gist of what you were arguing, I would expect the same to be true of Allen, right? I have seen no evidence of them doing so, and as such I believe your complaints about Brady's performance, and insistence that folks defending it are biased and would complain were it not him, are not grounded in reality.

From my perspective it looked like a solid team win, where the offense and special teams struggled at times but did enough to win when paired with a dominant defensive showing. We've seen our fair share of them and I'll take those 10 times out of 10, doesn't matter how "pretty" the win is. And Brady did not carry the team on his back but considering the unfavorable matchup he also did not overextend and force things that weren't there, avoiding the same sort of costly mistakes Brees on the other side was making. Getting 4 turnovers after all doesn't help much if you don't score points on them, or if you match them with 4 turnovers yourself. I don't necessarily think you disagree with any of that either, I'm just saying, you're accusing someone else of bias in their analysis and judgement when your own does not appear to be free of it either.

Introducing Allen is a strawman. I see no one praising Allen .

LOL.
Brady was carried by his defense .
It’s not a crime. It’s happened to Brady before, like in the SB against the Rams two years ago.

Most QBs would have easily had the same stat line as Brady, particularly with that loaded offense.
Brady’s long drives resulted in FGs, not TDs.

How does it feel to parrot what Colts/Jets fans said for years? LOL

Yes. It makes Bill looks bad for not just moving on from him but failing to put talent around him to content for chips. It was a colossal miscalculation by Bill.

I'm not salty at all...just sick of all the TB12 fellatio. There's a Bucs forum for that. :coffee:
It is the playoff thread and he is in the NFCCG, his 14th so I think there will be much talk given he is playing Rodgers which should be epic. That being said, I will discuss Bills/Chiefs as that should be great too!

Will you just give it up? Most of the Buc's points came off turnovers, which at least makes the Bucs great defensive game at at least a reasonable discussion point. The only think absurd is the way you jump on any comment that does not imply Brady is the be-all and end-all of life on Earth.

I do agree with your last sentence, though.

Back