2021 Draft: Patriots 3rd round pick Ronnie Perkins Pick 96

WOW! Freakishly fast, great instincts... impressive!

Are we getting too stacked at the D-line? Are there enough snaps for everyone ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Six quality edge rushers, three sets to rotate during a game. No more hands on hips, sucking wind in the fourth quarter

Kudos to Wolf. This draft is exactly what we needed. No trade backs and being aggressive with the guys we want.

The Patriots think Perkins will be another Trey Flowers

He's got some similar traits. Good with his hands and slippery and fast enough to get past much bigger guys. I can see the comparison. I'd guess
that Perkins has better closing speed and bends better coming around the corner.

I think he looks a bit smaller than Trey, but we have definitely missed Flowers and could really use a guy in
his mold. I'll be watching Ronnie to see if he can react to a play on the edge nearly as well as Trey, who was excellent at play recognition and would fight for
early position and not lose ground. We sucked at that last year, imo. Deatrich Wise still can't figure out that fundamental play which is taught to every High School
DE. Winovich was inconsistent and tends to freestyle although he can get it done. Flowers did everything within the scheme so it'll be interesting to see how
Perkins can anchor when he needs to. I haven't really seen him much and all the highlight clips tend to be plays in pass rush and pursuit, but that looks impressive
enough.

The pass rush has a chance to be the best it's been in a while, I'd venture, but the proof comes on 3rd and long.

The Patriots think Perkins will be another Trey Flowers

In a small sample size, he looks to have good instincts. There was a play that caught my eye in one of his highlight reels. He comes free cleanly past the line of scrimmage. The QB was on an option run/hand off. Perkins, very disciplined basically stood in front of them and waited for the QB to make his decision before he reacted. If he can do that consistently he's gonna be very good. Physically he looks ideal, but many players do and fail, so he needs football smarts.

Back