2021 draft. Round 1 pick 15 Patriots select QB Mac Jones!

There is a reason why Mac dropped to #15 and went last of all the QBs ahead of him.
Because teams can't analyze QBs well? Would that be the reason. Look, if you want to disparge Jones because he fell to #15, let's talk about how bad a QB must be to fall to #199. You can make a general statement that there is a general correlation that players do better than those picked two or three ROUNDS later but you absolutely cannot say that a player picked 15 is not as good as a player picked 11, 8, 1, or whatever. You are trying WAY to hard to make a case, jusr like saying that Van Noy can't be good because Miami cut him because good players don't get cut. The list of good players cut is a long one, but you can start with one who played the same position: Mike Vrabel. And yes players often get cut and traded for cap reasons, as well as a team getting a new coach or changing playing philosophies.

I do agree with your statement though that Jones went last of all the QBs ahead of him, though. It seems to happen a lot that players go after all the players who went ahead of them.

Because teams can't analyze QBs well? Would that be the reason. Look, if you want to disparge Jones because he fell to #15, let's talk about how bad a QB must be to fall to #199. You can make a general statement that there is a general correlation that players do better than those picked two or three ROUNDS later but you absolutely cannot say that a player picked 15 is not as good as a player picked 11, 8, 1, or whatever. You are trying WAY to hard to make a case, jusr like saying that Van Noy can't be good because Miami cut him because good players don't get cut. The list of good players cut is a long one, but you can start with one who played the same position: Mike Vrabel. And yes players often get cut and traded for cap reasons, as well as a team getting a new coach or changing playing philosophies.

I do agree with your statement though that Jones went last of all the QBs ahead of him, though. It seems to happen a lot that players go after all the players who went ahead of them.
I am really not making a case at all as it pertains to Jones. As I have said, I like him quite a bit. Chevvs had posted an article where the author said GMs still favor pocket passers over the athletic/improv guys. I am not sure that is true anymore and used this year's draft as an example precisely because Jones went last out of the QBs taken in the first round and he seems to be the most traditional type QB.

Honestly, I don't put a lot of stock in what anyone says really. No one knows which QBs will succeed or fail. It is always a big crap shoot but football execs are paid a lot of money to make the call. We will see how this draft shakes out. I am sure there will be busts taken high and stars that were taken lower. Happens every year.

BTW, I never said Van Noy can't be good again. I just said I was worried about him because he had a down year last year playing for his former DC and he is up there in age. I am worried about Hightower too with the year off and his age.

I am really not making a case at all as it pertains to Jones. As I have said, I like him quite a bit. Chevvs had posted an article where the author said GMs still favor pocket passers over the athletic/improv guys. I am not sure that is true anymore and used this year's draft as an example precisely because Jones went last out of the QBs taken in the first round and he seems to be the most traditional type QB.

Honestly, I don't put a lot of stock in what anyone says really. No one knows which QBs will succeed or fail. It is always a big crap shoot but football execs are paid a lot of money to make the call. We will see how this draft shakes out. I am sure there will be busts taken high and stars that were taken lower. Happens every year.

BTW, I never said Van Noy can't be good again. I just said I was worried about him because he had a down year last year playing for his former DC and he is up there in age. I am worried about Hightower too with the year off and his age.
Maybe he didn't fit their system. He was one of Patriots Best LB's. We got rid of Cooks after 1 year for that reason

People say Jones came from a stacked team, completely ignoring he was leading that stacked team. He was the teams Big Toe last year.
As I was reading this thread what foobahl said above was swishing around in my mind. Shitty, or even just average QB's don't start for "stacked" teams.

Regardless, Mac is who we have and we should hope he does well for a team, the New England Patriots in case anyone needs clarification, we love and follow.
He is our QB1 and I for one wanted the Pats to draft him, not the ones before him who didn't do even close as well as he did in their first year. I was ecstatic when I heard his named called. Mac Jones Is Our QB1.

Wishing we had an other or drafted another serves no real purpose since this is who we have now.

#MacJones

Regardless, Mac is who we have and we should hope he does well for a team, the New England Patriots in case anyone needs clarification, we love and follow.
He is our QB1 and I for one wanted the Pats to draft him, not the ones before him who didn't do even close as well as he did in their first year. I was ecstatic when I heard his named called. Mac Jones Is Our QB1.

Wishing we had an other or drafted another serves no real purpose since this is who we have now.

#MacJones
Sorry, Muse, every once in while I just have to take some folks off ignore and see "NOW what are they sayingf???" It's like when you have a toothache and still can't help biting down on the tooth to see how bad it hurts. I'll try to do better but sadly, if history is an indicator my trying to do better next time is an effort doomed to failure. Don't take my word for it, ask Mrs Crime :doh:

@spacecrime I was talking in general. I really need to put that in my comments. 🤣
I know your hammer didn't come out, but as Teddy Roosevelt said, "Speak softly and carry a bit stick," and moderators carry Thor's hammer, even when it's sheathed. 🤣

And I mean that in the nicest way. UT picked two great moderators last year.

Last edited:
Back