2021 draft. Round 1 pick 15 Patriots select QB Mac Jones!

Excellent comparison. I think Pennington could move a little more though than Jones. I think Jones success will depend on how much he can further develop his arm. Similar to Pennington, he does not have a strong arm, he was by far the weakest of the 5 QBs but he throws well with anticipation and accuracy. If he can get stronger than he will take things to another level with his development. The money down is third and long for any QB, and you need to be able to rifle it in with small windows to make those plays happen. If he can do that and do it consistently than it will be huge for him and us.
I agree with the second of these two rather contradictory thoughts. Jones' strength is accurate ball placement, reading defenses, and quick decision making. All these work well for third and long. Brady is the all-time best at third and long, and it wasn't by heaving the ball down the field with a cannon arm.

Manning started his first year and survived a terrible season, but I think letting Jones sit a year, a la Brady and Mahomes, is a better long-term plan.

I agree with the second of these two rather contradictory thoughts. Jones' strength is accurate ball placement, reading defenses, and quick decision making. All these work well for third and long. Brady is the all-time best at third and long, and it wasn't by heaving the ball down the field with a cannon arm.

Manning started his first year and survived a terrible season, but I think letting Jones sit a year, a la Brady and Mahomes, is a better long-term plan.

If Cam plays well, Mac will start next season. If Cam struggles through Week 6 or so... I think BB will hand the reins to Mac.

That’s my hope, at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If Cam plays well, Mac will start next season. If Cam struggles through Week 6 or so... I think BB will hand the reins to Mac.

That’s my hope, at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If Mac shows he's ready, I don't think BB is going to hesitate to leave the reigns to him. I think last season was more about Stidham's lack of ability to replace Cam than anything. If Mac shows he's ready, I'd like to think BB will give him his shot.

Not really. He had a very weak arm and threw a ton of soft passes. The injury to his rotator cuff effectively ended his career.

Which injury? He had surgery twice and was comeback player of the year after each one. I remember his arm differently than you do. He was a very good QB with good, not great, arm.
What he had was smarts and poise. I wouldn't characterize his arm as very weak...or even weak until after his arm gave out late in his career.

Last edited:
Which injury? He had surgery twice and was comeback player of the year after each one. I remember his arm differently than you do. He was a very good QB with good, not great, arm.
What he had was smarts and poise. I wouldn't characterize his arm as very weak...or even weak until late in his career.

Agree. His arm was not an issue, but his throwing motion looks mushy almost like he is pushing the ball. He fit it in and he hit the long ball without issue.

Mac is a victim of the other 4 drafted ahead of him with excellent athleticism and arms. Maybe we will have the "Mac 4" retrospective 15 years down the road. That would be nice.

What he had was smarts and poise. I wouldn't characterize his arm as very weak...or even weak until after his arm gave out late in his career.

I think he also had an elbow injury too. I liked him too. Thought he was a smart, heady player. His arm was weak IMO even before the injuries but he did make up for it with accuracy and smarts. I think the arm thing has always been overrated. Not having great arm talent makes it hard to compensate when a play breaks down and you need to rely on your arm because you can get the perfect mechanics into the throws. That is when a strong arm can really bail out a QB. Also, a strong arm is really helpful on third down which is the money down for all QBs as there are tight windows and pressure. I think Mac will do just fine as long as he is able to pick up our offense and adjust to the speed of the game. But that is true of any young QB regardless of arm talent.

Agree. His arm was not an issue, but his throwing motion looks mushy almost like he is pushing the ball. He fit it in and he hit the long ball without issue.

Mac is a victim of the other 4 drafted ahead of him with excellent athleticism and arms. Maybe we will have the "Mac 4" retrospective 15 years down the road. That would be nice.
Yes, I agree with this as well. Mac will always been compared to the others ahead of him who have superior arms. But that won't be the determining factor or who the better QB will be ultimately. I would be psyched with a Mac 4. LOL

Last edited:
Back