2021 draft. Round 1 pick 15 Patriots select QB Mac Jones!

Well, I liked Mac Jones almost from the beginning, and the more I've read and seen about him since the draft the better I like the guy. i'd like to modify the above prediction. tough with only a3 preseasson games, but I do think there's an excellent chance he'll start the season.

Well, I liked Mac Jones almost from the beginning, and the more I've read and seen about him since the draft the better I like the guy. i'd like to modify the above prediction. tough with only a3 preseasson games, but I do think there's an excellent chance he'll start the season.
Word on Newton is positive as well. He was working on his mechanics in the off season and Mike Reiss stated that the feedback he is getting from players is they've noticed the difference.

We could have a really good competition for QB coming up.

I can see why he's working on mechanics now I mean, he's only been in the league for 10 seasons... They've noticed the difference between shitty and sucky? Well hell, that is an improvement

I can see why he's working on mechanics now I mean, he's only been in the league for 10 seasons... They've noticed the difference between shitty and sucky? Well hell, that is an improvement
I would rather see Jones play all 17 games and miss the playoffs and watch him progress as a QB and a passer than another year of Newton. Jones is supposed to be the most NFL ready QB of all the first round selections and we have built a very friendly rookie QB offense. I just hope Bill is not so stubborn when it comes to Cam that we have to suffer all year with him. You are right. After 10 years, nothing is going to get marginally better at this point. Plus, I am really excited to see Jones play and watch him dissect the defenses.

I would rather see Jones play all 17 games and miss the playoffs and watch him progress as a QB and a passer than another year of Newton. Jones is supposed to be the most NFL ready QB of all the first round selections and we have built a very friendly rookie QB offense. I just hope Bill is not so stubborn when it comes to Cam that we have to suffer all year with him. You are right. After 10 years, nothing is going to get marginally better at this point. Plus, I am really excited to see Jones play and watch him dissect the defenses.
That's a daft statement, Of course, things can get marginally better. Pro sportsmen redefine themselves all the time, they change from year to year. Golfers deconstruct their swings and build them up from scratch in some cases. QBs often change personal coaches over time, working with new people on their throwing mechanics.

Let's just wait and see how he pans out. It's stupid to judge his upcoming season now, before a regular-season snap has even been taken.

That's a daft statement, Of course, things can get marginally better. Pro sportsmen redefine themselves all the time, they change from year to year. Golfers deconstruct their swings and build them up from scratch in some cases. QBs often change personal coaches over time, working with new people on their throwing mechanics.

Let's just wait and see how he pans out. It's stupid to judge his upcoming season now, before a regular-season snap has even been taken.
You are right. I need patience. LOL

cam2.jpg

Where do you find this stuff? LOL

The way I found the image was I had planned to skewer your most recent ridiculous/bombastic statement, "After 10 years, nothing is going to get marginally better at this point." which would basically doom all the 10 year-olds in the world to an entire life of playing Mario Kart (or whatever they do) without any hope of graduating to Grand Theft Auto VII -- Vegas Tranny Hookers Drag Strip -- which be a tragic waste of potential.

So, I went poking around looking for articles about one of the 42 times or so that your idol Tommy brought somebody in to tweak his awkward mechanics, since he frequently got off-kilter during his career and threw like the Tin Man from Wizard of Oz with no oil can available. Those episodes required his Patriot WRs to make Olympic-class dives in order to catch a 3 yard bullet straight into the Foxboro turf on 3rd and 7. Anyhow, I doing so I ran an across something called a "Brady Repair Tag" which got me curious and after I checked out what that was the end result practically wrote itself.

It was a pain in the ass to scrawl out the text on my touchpad, but it kept me amused while having my morning coffee.

Training Camp can't get here fast enough. :topsy-turvy:

Patriots passers were under pressure on 28.7 percent of dropbacks last season, which was the sixth-highest rate in the NFL. Sometimes being under pressure is more of a function of O-line play, and other times, it shows a quarterback held onto the ball for too long. At Alabama last season, Mac Jones had a whopping 84.9 completion percentage on quick passes, which was the highest rate in the FBS, along with 9.4 yards per attempt, which ranked second-best.

High rates of pressure can also reveal that plays broke down regularly, or that a team didn't have the correct personnel in place to maintain efficiency. It's probable that the Patriots, who made several additions to their roster this offseason, including tight ends Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith, are valuing how well Jones executed what was asked of him last season.

Ready for the numbers that prove how well Jones executed for Nick Saban? Here goes: Jones excelled against man coverage, posting the best yards-per-throw mark (12.6) and completion percentage (71.8%) against man in the FBS, per PFF. But Jones was no slouch against zone, logging the most touchdown throws (15) and the top completion rate (79.3%) vs. zone, according to PFF. And no one threw more touchdown passes on attempts of 10-plus yard than the Crimson Tide product (29), who had the second-highest completion rate on such throws (66.9).

The playbook & system. Have never been easy on Rookies. I don't know where you got that information. Just look at brissett starts as Rookie

Last edited:
The playbook & system. Have never been easy on Rookies. I don't know where you got that information. Just look at brissett starts as Rookie
There have been plenty of rookies that have shined with the Patriots over the years - Glenn, Robert Edwards, Gronk/Hernandez, Hightower, McCourty, etc. I thought Brissett looked pretty darn good as a rookie and we should have never traded him to the Colts BUT I digress.

Look, we have NEVER taken a QB this high under Bill. Jones is by far the most cerebral QB in the draft so the playbook should not be that big of an issue for him. He of course will struggle just because of the speed of the game but I think he could be just as good as Herbert was last year for the Chargers. He did not win a lot of games because he has to figure out how to close games and play sound football when he has the lead, but you could see how much better they were as a team than with Taylor. I think the same holds true for us. There is no benefit to starting Cam this entire season. We are going nowhere with Cam. Get Jones in there as soon as reasonably possibly and let him learn as much as he can THIS year. Most Pats fans would rather see him in there and watch him develop than watch Cam air mail or dirt ball his passes.

Thanks, whoever revived this thread. It was fun to go back and read the thread from the beginning, see the intitial reactions and see how they changed with time.

Thanks, whoever revived this thread. It was fun to go back and read the thread from the beginning, see the intitial reactions and see how they changed with time.

You're welcome! What did you learn? Whose initial reactions changed the most? How did they change?

You're welcome! What did you learn? Whose initial reactions changed the most? How did they change?
Good question. Getting a sense of the trend is easier to see than explain. Plus my memory is clouded by discussion of Mac in other, later, threads.

I think the reactions at first were euphoric as those of us who wanted him (mostly) all along chimed in. The Mac Jones lovers were on pins and neeedles as the draft went on, and BB didn't make any moves. So when it came to 15 we were ready to explode.

Then it calmed down quickly. I, who had wanted him so badly, was the first to say that I doubted he would start before week 11 or 12. I don't remember that but that's the thing about archives :)

Oothers also said much the same, then came pages and pages of Jones can''t run, he's not athletic, he's a product of Saban's system and was made by the WRs, and rebuttals.

The usual. Some saw a lot of Brady's traits in him, other pointed out that he hasn't thown and NFL pass yet and fon't compare a rookie draftee to Brady, Montana, etc, and that we drafted the perfect QB for a bygone NFL era.

Then by OTAs, we were mostly all pretty much onboard with him and excited, especially as more highlight videos came out.

I think me and Mazz changed the most. I was ready to annoint him on May 1 to start week one. Then I wanted to wait and not 'ruin' him. Now I'm middle of the road, kind of In BB We Trust. Mazz was hardest on him from the get-go, and maintained that he had a weak arm and was drafted in the right place (last of the top 5), but softened to he might do well IF he developed arm strength. Bear in mind that this thread only lasted a week before discussinon moved to OTA, etc threads, and Mazz is now much more onboard and I'm a raving homer lunatic again.

Looking back, I don't see much about the Jets moving up in front of us. I think they saved us, and that they pre-empted the Vikes and Saints from be able to slide in and nab Jones right out from under us.

Good question. Getting a sense of the trend is easier to see than explain. Plus my memory is clouded by discussion of Mac in other, later, threads.

I think the reactions at first were euphoric as those of us who wanted him (mostly) all along chimed in. The Mac Jones lovers were on pins and neeedles as the draft went on, and BB didn't make any moves. So when it came to 15 we were ready to explode.

Then it calmed down quickly. I, who had wanted him so badly, was the first to say that I doubted he would start before week 11 or 12. I don't remember that but that's the thing about archives :)

Oothers also said much the same, then came pages and pages of Jones can''t run, he's not athletic, he's a product of Saban's system and was made by the WRs, and rebuttals.

The usual. Some saw a lot of Brady's traits in him, other pointed out that he hasn't thown and NFL pass yet and fon't compare a rookie draftee to Brady, Montana, etc, and that we drafted the perfect QB for a bygone NFL era.

Then by OTAs, we were mostly all pretty much onboard with him and excited, especially as more highlight videos came out.

I think me and Mazz changed the most. I was ready to annoint him on May 1 to start week one. Then I wanted to wait and not 'ruin' him. Now I'm middle of the road, kind of In BB We Trust. Mazz was hardest on him from the get-go, and maintained that he had a weak arm and was drafted in the right place (last of the top 5), but softened to he might do well IF he developed arm strength. Bear in mind that this thread only lasted a week before discussinon moved to OTA, etc threads, and Mazz is now much more onboard and I'm a raving homer lunatic again.

Looking back, I don't see much about the Jets moving up in front of us. I think they saved us, and that they pre-empted the Vikes and Saints from be able to slide in and nab Jones right out from under us.
Really great post. This is a pretty good summation of the normal fan I think. We get excited or are down at the signing of a new player. Then we get time to know him and we start to change our opinion one way or the other. For me, I desperately wanted us to take Fields who by every report is killing it in Chicago. That being said, I like Jones persona a lot and also his traits even if I think having a more explosive QB would be better in today's league. Mostly, I just don't want to see Cam again under center. I really do hope Jones leaves him in the dust during TC.

If I'm honest, I was underwhelmed by him going into the draft. That was based on stuff I'd read.

However, once the Pats drafted him, I watched some interesting breakdowns of his stuff and he's started to grow on me.

JT O'Sullivan did some interesting analysis. I saw some clips where he evaded pressure really well and realised that the lack of athleticism thing was overblown.

I also have to say that, if Belichick thinks he's good enough to take at 15, then I won't argue with that.

Back