2021 Patriot UDFA List

Nothing reported by the Pats yet, but WR Sage Surratt was signed by the Lions. Dylan Moses still available.

Possibly saving cap space because a trade is in the works and they need to fit in a renegotiated Julio Jones contract?

Also, since so few players were available this year the bottom of the barrel may be dry.

Last edited:

dafuq?
There's no reason I can think of to notgo after whatever FAs one thinks might be a fit. Delaying just takes the few decent players out of a thin crop of UDFAs.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that there isn't a single UDFA that BB is interested in, and doesn't want to take preseason reps away from the bubble/project players he has. That would include no camp arm UDFA - he already cut Delonega (wait, that's the setting for Deliverance, wasn't it), so all the reps go to the three we have. We have a second K.

We also have a pretty stacked roster with not too many losses, returning opt-outs, a bumper crop of quality FAs, and 7 draftees.

But overall, I echo your "dafuq?"

Well, including players drafted, where does roster stand in terms of total number allowed?

Well, including players drafted, where does roster stand in terms of total number allowed?
By my count we have 84 players, so there is room for six more.

That said, last night I tried to make a 53 man roster out of the 84 players and had to work to get it down to 58, though I can guess where the remaining five will come from. And that was with keeping only 4 of the seven draft picks, perhaps 3, and cutting some FA acquisitions, such as Montravius, whom I was excited abouit when they were signed.

The Patriots normally announce all the UDFA signings at one time.
Sometimes a player will post something on social media.
Just because there have been no announcements so far doesn't mean there has not been signings

Of all the possibilites voiced so far, this makes the most sense.

The Patriots normally announce all the UDFA signings at one time.
Sometimes a player will post something on social media.
Just because there have been no announcements so far doesn't mean there has not been signings
I get what you are saying and logically it makes sense.

But I can't believe the Pats have signed UDFAs who along with their agents have not told anyone. That info would get out there at some point.

That being said, there must be a reason for this and in typical Belichick fashion, we are all left to wonder because as much as we speculate it is likely some angle none of us have thought of. Still I don't get it. They did seem to avoid taking risky flyer picks in the draft this year (for example no kicker from Marshall that made everyone shake their heads). But UDFAs are typically low risk, low guaranteed money etc. I am really curious as to the thought process here and how it fits into what I believe we all understand is a different way of doing business this offseason for the Pats front office.

I do expect they will be very active watching the waiver wire as the season approaches, as they always are. Maybe it is all just as simple as keeping a buffer with cap room this year but I am no capologist so not sure how that would play into the overall strategy of what the Pats long term plan is.

I get what you are saying and logically it makes sense.

But I can't believe the Pats have signed UDFAs who along with their agents have not told anyone. That info would get out there at some point.

That being said, there must be a reason for this and in typical Belichick fashion, we are all left to wonder because as much as we speculate it is likely some angle none of us have thought of. Still I don't get it. They did seem to avoid taking risky flyer picks in the draft this year (for example no kicker from Marshall that made everyone shake their heads). But UDFAs are typically low risk, low guaranteed money etc. I am really curious as to the thought process here and how it fits into what I believe we all understand is a different way of doing business this offseason for the Pats front office.

I do expect they will be very active watching the waiver wire as the season approaches, as they always are. Maybe it is all just as simple as keeping a buffer with cap room this year but I am no capologist so not sure how that would play into the overall strategy of what the Pats long term plan is.
Waiver wire scanning no doubt!

There was a big change in the Pats' scouting dept this year so back to fundamentals. The Pats probably only had 60-70 players on their entire board and they put all their effort there to get it right. That's what I think. There was no time left over to fully evaluate the 300 udfas. Maybe there's no one they thought was worth the risk without being thoroughly vetted first. Rookie minicamp begins soon. They can bring in 5 udfas for workouts then. We'll see.

Back