2022 Rookie Camp, OTAs, Mini Camp, Mandatory Mini Camp And Training Camp

YouTube/insta/tiktok, boomer! 😏

This is a succinct and comprehensive summation of American youth culture circa 2022. Not much else matters.

The Pats kids don't play that shit (very little) and I have to wonder if our players sometimes
experience a sense of unreality as they see the ridiculous posing ratchet up every season to help
other players carefully groom their lives/career in a way that curates their SM status.

Excellent article by Evan on the current state of the Patriots.

Quarterbacks
- The good news for Patriots fans is that quarterback Mac Jones looked more comfortable and in rhythm this week, and with each passing day at this point, his timing is returning to normal. It's abundantly clear that Jones sees the field well and puts the ball on his receivers when he is kept clean. But there are still too many protection breakdowns and a few instances where Mac couldn't get enough zip on the ball from muddy pockets. As the Pats QB1 said after Wednesday's practice, when he has room to step up in the pocket and deliver a pass, Jones is a high-level pocket passer.

Running Backs

• Evaluating the running game in practice settings where there isn't live tackling is challenging. You try to watch the movement generated by the offensive line, but the backs aren't necessarily going full-throttle downhill all the time, and they aren't being brought down the ground. Based on the practice eye test, the Pats running game struggled against Carolina's front. But we'll wait for the games to see if runs that look bottled up turn into bigger gains by the backs.
  • The Patriots continue to give second-year running back Rhamondre Stevenson opportunities to play in the passing game. Although he's repping in that role behind Ty Montgomery, Stevenson is running with the second unit during two-minute drills where they're mostly passing. Patriots head coach Bill Belichick credited Stevenson for improving the passing game earlier this week.
  • Speaking of Montgomery, the veteran RB/WR is significantly involved in the offense.

etc...

Great read imo

Phil Perry article on Yahoo

I wasn't aware there was real concern with Hunter Henry's injury? Thank god for this news, seems he dodged a bullet.

• Patriots tight end Hunter Henry is only dealing with a “minor” injury, according to Jeff Howe of The Athletic. He “should return soon” and there’s “minimal concern” about his status. So, it appears that the Pats have dodged a bullet, after the offense had entered joint practice with the Panthers in great health.
    Henry practiced Monday at Gillette Stadium, but left early with the injury and did not return. He had to miss both joint practices against Carolina. Jonnu Smith led the way at tight end in his place, while Devin Asiasi and Matt Sokol saw an increased workload in team drills.

Last edited:
re: Mac, i absolutely LOVE that the whole offense had been struggling and he says "I'LL figure things out." putting the burden on himself. teammates like that.
meanwhile, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaron is crying about how his wrs aren't doing things right. 🙄😒

re: Mac, i absolutely LOVE that the whole offense had been struggling and he says "I'LL figure things out." putting the burden on himself. teammates like that.
meanwhile, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaron is crying about how his wrs aren't doing things right. 🙄😒
He should just tell LaFleur not to put them on the field because he won't throw to them anyway,

Excellent article by Evan on the current state of the Patriots.

Quarterbacks
- The good news for Patriots fans is that quarterback Mac Jones looked more comfortable and in rhythm this week, and with each passing day at this point, his timing is returning to normal. It's abundantly clear that Jones sees the field well and puts the ball on his receivers when he is kept clean. But there are still too many protection breakdowns and a few instances where Mac couldn't get enough zip on the ball from muddy pockets. As the Pats QB1 said after Wednesday's practice, when he has room to step up in the pocket and deliver a pass, Jones is a high-level pocket passer.

Running Backs

• Evaluating the running game in practice settings where there isn't live tackling is challenging. You try to watch the movement generated by the offensive line, but the backs aren't necessarily going full-throttle downhill all the time, and they aren't being brought down the ground. Based on the practice eye test, the Pats running game struggled against Carolina's front. But we'll wait for the games to see if runs that look bottled up turn into bigger gains by the backs.
  • The Patriots continue to give second-year running back Rhamondre Stevenson opportunities to play in the passing game. Although he's repping in that role behind Ty Montgomery, Stevenson is running with the second unit during two-minute drills where they're mostly passing. Patriots head coach Bill Belichick credited Stevenson for improving the passing game earlier this week.
  • Speaking of Montgomery, the veteran RB/WR is significantly involved in the offense.

etc...

Great read imo

I thought it was a typically comprehensive Lazar article, but I didn't particularly like: "Sam Roberts and Jeremiah Pharms need big preseason games to make the team."

One of those things was not like the other, Evan.

Pharms showed absolutely nothing that I could detect while Roberts, raw as he is, made his presence felt with a pretty interesting debut. He's tall with long arms and showed a bit of a Barmore-esque ability to swim past blockers. He had 6 tackles, 5 pressures, drew a hold and blocked a FG, which is a shit ton of production from an IDL. He also gave Evan Neal some problems when they squared off. If you didn't already know which guy was a 7th overall 'Bama Tide standout and which was a D2 nobody from Sam Houston State then you might have gotten it wrong. Big Sam had a ton of snaps and I didn't notice his tongue hanging at any point. I'm not saying he makes the 53, but he's earned a long look and then we'll see where we're at.

I don't know what is 'expected', but I'm certainly expecting to see most of the 1s out there for 3-4 series.

I expect that your expectation is as expectable as anyone's expectation.

Last edited:
How much is Mac expected to play? The 1's?
I believe last year in this new 3 game preseason model, this second game was the game where the 1's stayed in into the 3rd quarter. I really hope that is the case. As nice as it was to watch Patriots football again last week, there was less to glean from it without all the 1's.

My memory of last year could be faulty though.

Back