49ers trade up, move to the 3 spot in draft

Sent Miami 3 first round picks and a 3rd ... huge price to pay to move up ... wonder if they tried to make a deal with the jets first... if so, and they didnt bite, darnold's days are done in ny

Jimmy might get cut loose, most likely next season... can we stand one more year of cam?

You mean he didn't throw a lot in the GB playoff game ... when they shredded the packers D to the tune of 285 yards on the ground?

And I guess 31 passes in the Super Bowl means Shanny was afraid to let him toss the rock...

gtfo with that BS

Shanahan has a system that puts a QB's best foot forward. Don't forget as the Texans' OC in 2009, Shanahan coached Matt Schaub to the NFL passing crown.

Shanahan has a system that puts a QB's best foot forward. Don't forget as the Texans' OC in 2009, Shanahan coached Matt Schaub to the NFL passing crown.

We know the player. The player knows us. Its a good match. I don't need a passing crown. What I do need is more than 18 pass attempts for 125 yards per game...

This is from 2017 - Kyle Shanahan talks about the commitment a dual threat QB puts on coaches and team mates. Read it and decide for yourself what kind of QB Shanahan likes and then narrow his pick at 3 in the draft.

“If you bring in a quarterback who is the best when he’s a dual threat and can do all those type of things, that affects an entire offense,” he said. “That doesn’t just affect one guy. That’s a huge commitment to your entire team. So, when you bring in someone like that when you’re going to have to tinker the offense to fit one player, you’ve got to know you’re tinkering every single person on that offense, too. So, when it comes to the quarterback and some o-linemen, you look into that a little bit more. After that, I think it’s all pretty overrated.”

The discussion is about the 2017 NFL Draft, where the 49ers, who have the second overall pick, are in the market for their next franchise quarterback. But Shanahan’s explanation works just as well for Kaepernick, the team’s previous franchise quarterback who is currently a free agent. When asked by a reporter, “... s that one of the reasons why maybe Kaepernick isn’t a fit because you’d have to really switch your offense to fit his skill?” here was Shanahan’s response:

“Yeah, I think just the experience of doing that type of stuff, you don’t just run stuff and think you’re going to be good at it right away,” he said. “You’ve got to commit to it and work at it year round, and it’s all the positions. When all your quarterbacks have different ways to be successful, which I’ve been in situations like that and you try to prepare them best, it does take a toll on your offense. What are you trying to get good at? You can’t practice everything. You can’t be great at everything. You’ve kind of got to commit to something and do it over and over and over again and once the type of running game or drop-back game, you’re going to commit to one quarterback is completely different than the other, then that does affect your team.

“That’s why I think it can be harder when those type of guys are going through competitions and stuff and like that because even though you’re trying to find the best guy, by trying to be fair to those quarterbacks you’re also being unfair to a team. You don’t really know what direction you’re going. So, if you have your pick of the best world, you’d like those guys to be somewhat similar, not just because that’s how you want the quarterbacks, just because of the work you’re doing for the rest of the guys on the roster.”

As it stands, the 49ers’ depth chart has journeyman Brian Hoyer as the starter and behind him is Matt Barkley. That duo doesn’t instill much fear in opposing defenses. And despite that No. 2 pick, none of the six CBSSports.com mock draft experts has the 49ers taking a quarterback there. Instead, Stanford defensive lineman Solomon Thomas, who has been compared to Michael Bennett, is the consensus selection.

Solomon Thomas was his selection.

We know the player. The player knows us. Its a good match. I don't need a passing crown. What I do need is more than 18 pass attempts for 125 yards per game...

Maybe at something less than half his current salary I could see him back. Maybe next year if BB can't find anyone better.

JG has been ok as QB of the 9ers under Shanahan. Schaub was magnificent under Shanahan. That was my point.

Last edited:
Shanahan said at his presser yesterday that SF will talk to teams interested in JG. He said he didn’t rule out trading Garoppolo.

“Now, if someone wanted something for that and it can make your team better in a lot of other ways, you listen to that, but also depends on how good you feel about that rookie,” Shanhan admitted. “We’re not there yet right now and odds are, we probably won’t be. That’s why we’re happy that we don’t have to be that way. We’ve got a guy in here who we know we can win with, a guy that our players love, that we love and we’re excited to have him this year and we’re excited to have a hell of a quarterback right behind him learning for when the time is his.”

I can't imagine JG is happy right now.

Maybe at something less than half his current salary I could see him back. Maybe next year if BB can't find anyone better.

JG has been ok as QB of the 9ers under Shanahan. Schaub was magnificent under Shanahan. That was my point.
Jimmy was throwing to George Kittle and Deebo Samuel... Matt Schaub was slinging it to Andre Johnson at his peak... there is a difference.

I can see trading draft capital for JG. I can see paying JG some serious cash. I cannot see both which is why BB 2021 will do this. I would still rather ride with JFS than either of these two.

Back