5 takeaways from the game...

This reminds me of the John Madden "you have to take a knee and play for overtime" comment from a game back in 2002.

Well had the pats had a td called back for holding and then a false start in 2001, they would have taken a knee and played for overtime...but in 2001, they were not in fg range, yesterday, they were.

Why not make the kick easier for your FG kicker? They had plenty of time to do so. And they had the QB and skill players to do so.

Most people think they did make the kick easier by placing the ball in the middle. To be honest, I was more worried about it getting blocked than I was about Ghostowski just blowing the kick. He's been more accurate than Vinatieri was when he here.

Most people think they did make the kick easier by placing the ball in the middle. To be honest, I was more worried about it getting blocked than I was about Ghostowski just blowing the kick. He's been more accurate than Vinatieri was when he here.

Yeah I did not see him missing the kick, it was pretty surprising.

Why not make the kick easier for your FG kicker? They had plenty of time to do so. And they had the QB and skill players to do so.

I agree with your premise that they should have been a little more aggressive there... but I can also see the flip side, which is the QB and the skill players had only one decent drive all day, and after that they were back to stuttering around, making mistakes. They were in FG range, but another "turtle-sack" and they would have been out of range (or in a much more difficult spot, having to kick from farther back, with a lower trajectory, against a decent kick blocking team).

Bottom line, is the coaches had little faith in this high vaunted offense and went with what they felt gave them "the best chance to win"(I can just hear BB using those exact words later today on the radio).

They deserved to lose this game. Winning it would have been nice, but undeserved.

I agree with your premise that they should have been a little more aggressive there... but I can also see the flip side, which is the QB and the skill players had only one decent drive all day, and after that they were back to stuttering around, making mistakes. They were in FG range, but another "turtle-sack" and they would have been out of range (or in a much more difficult spot, having to kick from farther back, with a lower trajectory, against a decent kick blocking team).

Bottom line, is the coaches had little faith in this high vaunted offense and went with what they felt gave them "the best chance to win"(I can just hear BB using those exact words later today on the radio).

They deserved to lose this game. Winning it would have been nice, but undeserved.

Well no, none of that is true, and once again, on the first play after getting the ball, they had a pass and ran for a td, then they had a first down pass....but I guess the coaching staff was too scared of that sorry Qb falling down for a sack huh?

I disagree that the Pats deserved to lose this game.

Brady passed for over 300 yards, Ridley went for almost 4 YPC, the defense played great and surrendered little in terms of yardage and points and got the Pats the ball back with a great chance to win.

BB's call to rely on his PK to win the game lost it for them.

Brady passed for over 300 yards, Ridley went for almost 4 YPC, the defense played great and surrendered little in terms of yardage and points and got the Pats the ball back with a great chance to win.

Exactly, its stupid to say deserve to lose....they did not play their best game, and believe it or not....they are not the only team who does that, they just do it less than most other teams, they put themselves in a spot to pull out a win in a game they did not play well in and it did not work out...thats about it.

I agree with the sentiment that the Patriots "deserved to lose" (maybe this should be a poll question), although I realize it's kind of meaningless. In some ways I am glad they lost because if they had won a game like this that they should have lost we would be looking at an undefeated season, and I don't think this team is that good (and we saw the toll that going nearly undefeated had on the team in 2007). This way, they can get all delusions of going undefeated off the table and can concentrate on the real agenda for this season: earning a first-round bye in the playoffs and humiliating Wes Welker.

Maybe BB is relying on the special teams too much. Possibly earlier in the game, they should have gone for it on fourth down, instead of letting the punt get blocked, too.

popcorn

Maybe BB is relying on the special teams too much. Possibly earlier in the game, they should have gone for it on fourth down, instead of letting the punt get blocked, too.

popcorn

That was not a great place to go for it, although there were some other times, it was 3rd and 4, and they decide to run some crappy counter run play that went nowhere, I wished they have went for it, it was not as though zona was moving up and down the field...

Exactly, its stupid to say deserve to lose....they did not play their best game, and believe it or not....they are not the only team who does that, they just do it less than most other teams, they put themselves in a spot to pull out a win in a game they did not play well in and it did not work out...thats about it.

stupid??? really??? To my thinking, when, as you said, "they did not play their best game" then you do somewhat deserve to lose.

And you can fall back on they had a chance to win at the end, but if we're going to rely on bonehead plays by running backs not protecting the ball in situations where nothing other than that matters, then it will be a long, painful season of losses. Deserved losses.

The fact is this high powered offense did bupkis for three quarters. They were anemic. Pathetic even. Maybe the defense didn't deserve to lose, but the offense sure as heck did. And when one area of the team breaks down this badly, an overall loss is, in fact, deserved. Throw in Special Teams play and the "they deserved to lose" aspect is magnified.

And what's your point about my "believing or not" that they aren't the only team to put out a less than spectacular effort. So they play less bad games than the Buffalo Bills. Big effin deal. They are and they should be held to a higher standard that "most other teams".

Just one man's opinion (not stupid)....

stupid??? really??? To my thinking, when, as you said, "they did not play their best game" then you do somewhat deserve to lose.

And you can fall back on they had a chance to win at the end, but if we're going to rely on bonehead plays by running backs not protecting the ball in situations where nothing other than that matters, then it will be a long, painful season of losses. Deserved losses.

The fact is this high powered offense did bupkis for three quarters. They were anemic. Pathetic even. Maybe the defense didn't deserve to lose, but the offense sure as heck did. And when one area of the team breaks down this badly, an overall loss is, in fact, deserved. Throw in Special Teams play and the "they deserved to lose" aspect is magnified.

And what's your point about my "believing or not" that they aren't the only team to put out a less than spectacular effort. So they play less bad games than the Buffalo Bills. Big effin deal. They are and they should be held to a higher standard that "most other teams".

Just one man's opinion (not stupid)....

You win or lose, deserving has nothing to do with it. Being held to a higher standard is fine, being held to a higher standard than any team in NFL history, sorry its not going to happen. This team has been to 5 superbowls in the past 10 years, thats every other year they are going to the superbowl....they have not had a losing season since 2000, thats 11 years...they have missed the playoffs twice in those 11 years...that is a standard nobody has, but thats what they did...so when they lose their 3 or 4 losses a year....I cannot just start to bash them the way others can...it seems they have spoiled a few fans, which is too bad.

You win or lose, deserving has nothing to do with it. Being held to a higher standard is fine, being held to a higher standard than any team in NFL history, sorry its not going to happen. This team has been to 5 superbowls in the past 10 years, thats every other year they are going to the superbowl....they have not had a losing season since 2000, thats 11 years...they have missed the playoffs twice in those 11 years...that is a standard nobody has, but thats what they did...so when they lose their 3 or 4 losses a year....I cannot just start to bash them the way others can...it seems they have spoiled a few fans, which is too bad.
so we become complacent and accept that they played horrible yesterday because they have not had a losing season in 11 years?

no you expect them to maintain that level when you consider the two previous rebuilding years (defensively) were pretty dam good.

Middy it is ok to question the patriots, it is our job as fans or we end up with a regime that doesn't give a hoot. Demand the best as you would from your mechanic, plumber, builder, cook, mailman (ok stretch) or fireman.

I mean in your would no fires in 11 years means let the firemen get fat and lazy because of past accomplishments...no you want the best you ask for the best.

so we become complacent and accept that they played horrible yesterday because they have not had a losing season in 11 years?

no you expect them to maintain that level when you consider the two previous rebuilding years (defensively) were pretty dam good.

Middy it is ok to question the patriots, it is our job as fans or we end up with a regime that doesn't give a hoot. Demand the best as you would from your mechanic, plumber, builder, cook, mailman (ok stretch) or fireman.

I mean in your would no fires in 11 years means let the firemen get fat and lazy because of past accomplishments...no you want the best you ask for the best.

I expect them to not be perfect in every game...that is what I expect. I have to, because they are humans. I am a fan, but I cannot expect 16-0 every year, because its just not rational. We can say they played bad, they would say the same, but during the few games they lose every year I do think we overreact quite a bit....we played bad, lets play better next week, or we played bad, our Qb is a timid pile of shit, our oline sucks, our receivers cannot catch....I guess thats a bit much to me.

I expect them to not be perfect in every game...that is what I expect. I have to, because they are humans. I am a fan, but I cannot expect 16-0 every year, because its just not rational. We can say they played bad, they would say the same, but during the few games they lose every year I do think we overreact quite a bit....we played bad, lets play better next week, or we played bad, our Qb is a timid pile of shit, our oline sucks, our receivers cannot catch....I guess thats a bit much to me.

no one is saying they suck, that is hyperbole.

I will say I expect perfection and if you ask BB or Tommy Boy he will agree. Tommy said: Coach says every play is a scoring play if we all do our job to the level expected (or something like that I was still asleep when he said it)

so both BB & TfB expect it so why shouldnt I? are they better than I?

no one is saying they suck, that is hyperbole.

I will say I expect perfection and if you ask BB or Tommy Boy he will agree. Tommy said: Coach says every play is a scoring play if we all do our job to the level expected (or something like that I was still asleep when he said it)

so both BB & TfB expect it so why shouldnt I? are they better than I?

I guess I try to be more rational....I am actually more shocked that they have been able to play this well, be this consistent for as long as they have. I guess its more about the way I look at it.

I guess I try to be more rational....I am actually more shocked that they have been able to play this well, be this consistent for as long as they have. I guess its more about the way I look at it.
i feel that way from the end of the season (hopefully in February on a positive note) until game one. During the season it is all in every game and pray I get a return worthy of my fandom

i feel that way from the end of the season (hopefully in February on a positive note) until game one. During the season it is all in every game and pray I get a return worthy of my fandom

I said to myself after the superbowl in 2001...believe it or not, that I would never ask for anything more. I just wanted them to win one freaking time in my life....in the past decade, they have surpassed anything I could have hoped for...its just hard for me to start throwing eggs at them now. BB, Brady and kraft has been the 3 constants in that time period....I heard Montana the other day on yourtube say, its amazing that they have won with different teams...meaning changes all over the offense and defense, and in the coaching staff...and it is..its amazing to me, because nobody else is doing that....Teams make runs and then vanish back down...I am not sure what else I can ask for...I guess after brady and BB are gone, people will look back with a bit more fondness for exactly what they did, and if it ends now, if the team goes 8-8, if this is it? I will have to just be ok with it for awhile.

I said to myself after the superbowl in 2001...believe it or not, that I would never ask for anything more. I just wanted them to win one freaking time in my life....in the past decade, they have surpassed anything I could have hoped for...its just hard for me to start throwing eggs at them now. BB, Brady and kraft has been the 3 constants in that time period....I heard Montana the other day on yourtube say, its amazing that they have won with different teams...meaning changes all over the offense and defense, and in the coaching staff...and it is..its amazing to me, because nobody else is doing that....Teams make runs and then vanish back down...I am not sure what else I can ask for...I guess after brady and BB are gone, people will look back with a bit more fondness for exactly what they did, and if it ends now, if the team goes 8-8, if this is it? I will have to just be ok with it for awhile.
I did too...I lied

I am enjoying this for I know a day will come and teh dark days will return. not looking forward to those times but every good thing must come to an end, hopefully in the far off distant future

I did too...I lied

I am enjoying this for I know a day will come and teh dark days will return. not looking forward to those times but every good thing must come to an end, hopefully in the far off distant future

it will not bother me as bad...because its a new thing...one bad thing about your team being good for a long period of time, is the heartbreaking losses...when you are a 7-9 team or a 6-10 team....you do not expect anything, you just look for improvement, and no matter how small it can usually be found.......I never felt the killer blows from the Patriots that I have in the past 12 years. Even the superbowl losses, I did not really expect to win those in the 90's and 80's, I was just happy that the media remembered who we were, now there are days I wish they would forget.

Back