5 takeaways from the game...

yeah I think percentage is a better way to look at that....I am telling you when I think about receivers that drop passes, he just never came to mind that often....now all of the sudden in 2 games its some sort of an issue...just don't get it. Speaking of which....I see that two receivers we cut are in the best rate...category.....

What do you think the problem is?

Well...and I have said this before....I think when you have too many changing parts in one area, you lose chemistry in that area...I think for the past 5 years we have had a silly number of different pass catchers go in and out of this team, and I think that in trying to fit them all in and trying to make it work with everyone you end up messing up chemistry that is created, no only with the QB to receiver but also the receivers in their routes....I hate going back to GB, but they had the same 5 guys out there for the past 5 years, everyone knows what they role is, everyone knows where they are supposed to be, everyone knows everything about each other and the system....thats chemistry, and I think ours offensively has been affected. Or Brady sucks....one of the two.

Well...and I have said this before....I think when you have too many changing parts in one area, you lose chemistry in that area...I think for the past 5 years we have had a silly number of different pass catchers go in and out of this team, and I think that in trying to fit them all in and trying to make it work with everyone you end up messing up chemistry that is created, no only with the QB to receiver but also the receivers in their routes....I hate going back to GB, but they had the same 5 guys out there for the past 5 years, everyone knows what they role is, everyone knows where they are supposed to be, everyone knows everything about each other and the system....thats chemistry, and I think ours offensively has been affected. Or Brady sucks....one of the two.

The offesne is changing also. I also think something is up with Welker, he doesn't look the same to me. maybe he's unhappy with the situation and it's causing a problem with Bill.

Maybe his wife made him burn his pocket pussy........

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YZRFCQ5KUVE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm a Welker fan, but dropping easy balls isn't going to get him more targets. That drop on 3rd down that would have given them a first lead directly to 7 points.

It looks to me like they are trying to be more unpredicatble and things for the most part looked disjointed Sunday.

Josh McD said in his presser today that Edelman is getting more playing time b/c he has earned it. I think the Edelman/WW controversy is no more than a player working hard and being rewarded for it. Combine that with a new offense in transition being implemented by McD and both players are sharing time. WW is still getting more time though.

The O is understandably not perfect yet. I don't even know if I like it yet since I can't envision the end result in all its glory. But...WW has proven himself and I can't imagine TB is going to let a couple of drops undermine his faith in WW. I don't believe for 1 second that Brady has lost confidence in WW.

PFF dispels the Welker snub

Wes Welker
Lots of people have been pointing out the low number of snaps that Wes Welker played in the New England opener and asking whether it means he is being phased out as his contract issue drags on. Welker has been a fantastic servant to the Patriots, but can they afford to pay him big money especially when they seem to have a readymade replacement in Julian Edelman waiting in the wings?
Including penalties, the Patriots ran 67 plays on offense against Tennessee. Wes Welker played 42 of them, or 63%. That seems like a worryingly low figure, but we need to dig deeper to understand what it really means. Start by ignoring five of those snaps because they came on the final drive with the Patriots chewing clock. Some starters were still out there, but guys like Matt Slater and Brandon Bolden were getting snaps on that drive, so it isn’t a reflection of Welker. Ignoring those snaps actually increases the percentage of meaningful snaps Welker played to 68%.
Josh McDaniels claimed that Welker’s snap total is explained simply by a game-specific plan for the Titans that didn’t call for him to be on the field for some plays, and to an extent that seems legitimate. Nine of the snaps Welker missed were in heavy formations that featured two or more tight ends and an extra blocker, but just a single receiver. Welker is far from the traditional split end, and wouldn’t be expected to be the primary receiver in these formations, and only once was Edelman preferred to Welker in this type of single-wide set.
In formations that featured multiple receivers, there were 11 snaps in which Welker was not on the field but Edelman was, with four of them coming in one drive in which the Patriots were in hurry-up mode in the first quarter. Indeed, if you look at the snaps that Welker missed because Edelman was preferred to him it works out at 16% of offensive snaps. Welker averaged 11% of snaps off the field in 2011, and well over 20% in both 2009 and 2010. Edelman might be the player picking up the snaps that Welker is spending off the field, but there is nothing to suggest that spending those snaps off the field is unusual for him.
The bottom line is that the number being thrown around might look alarming but it is not out of place over Welker’s time in New England, and I wouldn’t expect to see him marginalized in that offense.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/09/14/snap-counts-a-deeper-look/

Josh McD said in his presser today that Edelman is getting more playing time b/c he has earned it. I think the Edelman/WW controversy is no more than a player working hard and being rewarded for it. Combine that with a new offense in transition being implemented by McD and both players are sharing time. WW is still getting more time though.

The O is understandably not perfect yet. I don't even know if I like it yet since I can't envision the end result in all its glory. But...WW has proven himself and I can't imagine TB is going to let a couple of drops undermine his faith in WW. I don't believe for 1 second that Brady has lost confidence in WW.

Especially considering I don't think Welker will be back next year. Belichick usually lets guys go a year or two early, not a year or two late.

http://www.csnne.com/football-new-e...elker-We-want-everyone-fresh-a?blockID=774641

Tom Brady and Wes Welker have been the most prolific passing combination in the NFL since 2007. That Welker didn't start yesterday's 20-18 loss to the Cardinals came as a surprise to most, especially since there haven't been very many signs of Welker's ability beginning to fade.

There are several reasons why the Patriots may have chosen to go with Julian Edelman over Welker. But on his weekly interview with WEEI Monday morning, Brady said that one of the reasons Welker played fewer snaps than Edelman -- 63 to 75, according to ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss -- is that the Patriots may be trying to keep Welker fresher later in the season.

"It was just a personnel grouping where [Welker]'s not in the game," Brady said when asked about New England's first few offensive plays Sunday. "We have a lot of different personnel groupings with him in the game. There's a lot of guys on the roster, and we're trying to utilize every player so that at the end of the year one guy doesn't have 700 plays and another guy has 50 plays. Hopefully everyone can contribute and have opportunity and be fresh and stay healthy. Because we need everybody. It's a long year."

Brady went on to praise Welker's work ethic and attitude, and he did so in the present tense. Coming from Brady, Welker did not sound like a player who was in the process of being phased out of the offense.

"I love Wes. He's like one of my best friends. What he does on a daily basis to prepare himself really motivates everybody else," Brady said. "He's a leader. He's so tough. I've been in so many critical, critical situations with him where he's worked so hard to do the right thing and be in the right place and make the play. He's a phenomenal player."

Aside from the fact that Edelman started over Welker, the other big development to come out of yesterday's game was the loss of Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez, who left with an ankle injury.

Brady admitted that Hernandez plays a big role in the offense, but the quarterback still felt as though his tight end's departure from the game was not the reason why the offense scuffled and scored only one touchdown against the Cardinals.

"I didn't really feel that way," Brady said. "He's a big part of what we do and he's out there on the field quite a bit. I thought we just pretty much moved on, though, tried to adjust with some different personnel groupings and formations and such. But I don't think we were really shell-shocked that he wasn't in there. I thought we tried to react -- and we didn't have a great first half, by any stretch."

That was thanks in part to the defensive effort put forth by the Cardinals. Though they entered Foxboro as largely unheralded 14-point underdogs, Brady said he wasn't surprised at the stinginess of the Cardinals 'D.'

"They pretty much did what they did all day and pretty much what they've been doing all preseason, and even going into last year," Brady said. "So, it wasn't a ton that really surprised us. It was just a matter of, really, they have a good team. They have some very, very good players, very disruptive front, good guys in coverage, they disguise things pretty well. But our execution wasn't great, even when we really had them figured out. That's why you get beat, is you have chances to make plays and you just don't make them."
Tags: New England Patriots, Wes Welker, Julian Edelman

I think this is a smart approach. Brady going back to his favorite receiver, the open one :thumb:

I decided a long time ago that I am a fan of the patriot team. While I do like individual players I understand that they come and go. I was so mad when Plunket hit traded but that's when I realized not to invest too heavily in the individual pieces and focus on the team as a whole.

That said I always admired Welker for his grittiness. But I imagine if you go back to his draft class evaluation you'll find comments like good quickness but too small and has small hands. I suspect that has something to do with the drops - Welker trying to protect himself from getting killed and not having all the physical gifts of a typical WR

Welker was hurt, Ty Law interviewing him said as much acknowledging that Wes would never admit it...

it is the Richard Seymour complaint, the we are all good when in fact we are all banged up.

now Gronk as a blocker is more of an issue if you ask me.

I decided a long time ago that I am a fan of the patriot team. While I do like individual players I understand that they come and go. I was so mad when Plunket hit traded but that's when I realized not to invest too heavily in the individual pieces and focus on the team as a whole.

That said I always admired Welker for his grittiness. But I imagine if you go back to his draft class evaluation you'll find comments like good quickness but too small and has small hands. I suspect that has something to do with the drops - Welker trying to protect himself from getting killed and not having all the physical gifts of a typical WR

I love welker too and I think he has been great for this team, but as I have said before, he is what he is....every players has strengths and weaknesses...his strengths are his quickness, and his route running, but he is not an outside the numbers, fight off a defender for the ball type of wideout, he is just not...he is not the typical wideouts....I watch other games and I will see a Qb throw a ball to one on one coverage....they are not throwing to a player they are throwing to the coverage...since Moss, Brady did not have an outside wideout that he could throw to coverage with...hopefully he does with Lloyd. It just seems, and I hate to say it...A welker type player would be easier to replace than a Randy Moss type player..

Back