9/11, where were you and what do you remember

Coltsfan2theend

Custom Titles, we don't need no custom titles
Reaction score
Non political version (just saying it to be safe).

I was in my first year of college for broadcasting. I had no television in my room (another story) and I happened ot peak into the next dorm room over either in time for a replay of the second plane or the second plane. My classes met for only a few minutes. I heard that gas was going to go up and while I had almost a full tank, I waiting in line 30 minutes to top off. Probably my biggest memory I remember is Letterman. There has been constant 24/7 news coverage for days. The night he went on air, it was right after the local news. No musical open, no announcer, nothing. Just a graphic of the show title and silence to this.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZeEdye0h9A

Letterman was the first on air after the attack.

I was actually out of work at the time and listening to the radio. The first plane sounded like a weird accident/suicide by the pilot. Then the second one struck and that sense of utter dread filled me.

I've been to NYC since and was particularly struck by passing a fire station which had pics of all the guys who died on 9/11. I found that really moving.

Non political version (just saying it to be safe).

I was in my first year of college for broadcasting. I had no television in my room (another story) and I happened ot peak into the next dorm room over either in time for a replay of the second plane or the second plane. My classes met for only a few minutes. I heard that gas was going to go up and while I had almost a full tank, I waiting in line 30 minutes to top off. Probably my biggest memory I remember is Letterman. There has been constant 24/7 news coverage for days. The night he went on air, it was right after the local news. No musical open, no announcer, nothing. Just a graphic of the show title and silence to this.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZeEdye0h9A

Letterman was the first on air after the attack.

What’s really sad is we haven’t learned our lesson…. David letterman said let’s not take our law-enforcement and the rest of the first responders for granted ever again, but here we are Listening to the defund the police movement and police officers being assassinated in New York City of all places. Police stations burned down to the ground. What have we learned? Absolutely nothing…

I was with my dearest of loves sitting in a dark auditorium watching a movie in our college film class. I noticed the professor speaking to a number of people in the doorway. When the film was over. The professor spoke to the class and said, "The world you left when you entered this auditorium is not the same world you are returning to". That hit me like a ton of bricks. and he was so right.

We went home and spent the next few days sitting before the TV in tears, coming to grips with the magnitude of evil just reigned down upon America.

83146340_280919706652298_6656842124796038279_n.jpg

Last edited:
I was in Putney VT in the basement of a home in the middle of an apple orchard. I was doing an asbestos removal job with one coworker. We had the radio on listening to music and talk radio. Then one of the DJ said he heard a report of a plane crashed into one of the towers. At first I thought it was a small plane and I kind of shrugged my shoulders and said to myself that’s odd. Then the report came out that it was a large plane I said to myself now that’s not good. Then when the second plane hit I knew were in serious trouble. I had to keep working and focus on my job and at the same time it was really hard to concentrate knowing that thousands of people are dying. Then when the Pentagon hit I said to my coworker Sean it’s a good thing we’re in the basement because nuclear missiles might be flying soon. At that point of time I wanted to be home with my children. We’re under attack and who knows how far this is going to go. We kept working and then we heard about the plane crash Pennsylvania. When lunchtime came around I was in a rage. Mind you I did not get to see the towers fall yet and when I heard that on the radio I was a gasp…. I walked into a variety store to get some lunch and everybody that was in the store was watching the towers collapse on a 19 inch television. I’ll never forget the look that everybody in that store had. I did not see one tear, but I saw a quiet rage. When I saw the towers with my own eyes fall it made me sick to my stomach and so sad. Then rage came over me and I wanted answers. Not too long later we all found out the truth. Well at least that’s what we were told. But I’ll save that one for the political forum.
Finally, that had to be the hardest day of work in my life.

I was in Putney VT in the basement of a home in the middle of an apple orchard. I was doing an asbestos removal job with one coworker. We had the radio on listening to music and talk radio. Then one of the DJ said he heard a report of a plane crashed into one of the towers. At first I thought it was a small plane and I kind of shrugged my shoulders and said to myself that’s odd. Then the report came out that it was a large plane I said to myself now that’s not good. Then when the second plane hit I knew were in serious trouble. I had to keep working and focus on my job and at the same time it was really hard to concentrate knowing that thousands of people are dying. Then when the Pentagon hit I said to my coworker Sean it’s a good thing we’re in the basement because nuclear missiles might be flying soon. At that point of time I wanted to be home with my children. We’re under attack and who knows how far this is going to go. We kept working and then we heard about the plane crash Pennsylvania. When lunchtime came around I was in a rage. Mind you I did not get to see the towers fall yet and when I heard that on the radio I was a gasp…. I walked into a variety store to get some lunch and everybody that was in the store was watching the towers collapse on a 19 inch television. I’ll never forget the look that everybody in that store had. I did not see one tear, but I saw a quiet rage. When I saw the towers with my own eyes fall it made me sick to my stomach and so sad. Then rage came over me and I wanted answers. Not too long later we all found out the truth. Well at least that’s what we were told. But I’ll save that one for the political forum.
Finally, that had to be the hardest day of work in my life.
:cry:

It was a very nerve-wracking day for me. My daughter was going to NYU grad school and working in lower Manhattan not far from the WTC.
I was traveling and tried to call her 10 times before I finally got through. She saw the whole thing happen including people jumping from the towers.
She still won't watch any of the 9/11 doc's.

It was a very nerve-wracking day for me. My daughter was going to NYU grad school and working in lower Manhattan not far from the WTC.
I was traveling and tried to call her 10 times before I finally got through. She saw the whole thing happen including people jumping from the towers.

Twenty years ago this morning thousands of people woke up and went about their day just like they had for years. A cup of coffee, breakfast, maybe a workout or a run, then a commute.

Many of them never made it home.

Those that did returned home to a new world, a less safe, less stable and predictable world.

We could discuss and debate the legacy of that morning for an eternity, but not today. Today is for us to remember together.

E_AaIXDXoAUoedE

Twenty years ago this morning thousands of people woke up and went about their day just like they had for years. A cup of coffee, breakfast, maybe a workout or a run, then a commute.

Many of them never made it home.

Those that did returned home to a new world, a less safe, less stable and predictable world.

We could discuss and debate the legacy of that morning for an eternity, but not today. Today is for us to remember together.

My nephew was on the 21st floor of a jersey OB his office with a total view of the WTC across the harbor. He watched it for hours. He still has the occasional terrifying nightmare. :cry:

In the context of the 3000 lost U2 paid tribute to in a perfect setting to do so on a broadcast that had NFL all-time greats reading The Declaration of Independence to open the game, this will always be to my mind the greatest SB half-time show of all time. The fact that the "Patriots" won against all odds was almost divine in nature and a perfect ending for the country and world to witness.

View: https://youtu.be/og0V1UtjPt4

I was at GW law in D.C., but was with my wife getting supplies near our apartment in Arlington that morning. We in the Staples lot, and we stopped to hear the news about the first plane hitting.

I went into the store and while ringing up I said to the cashier "I'm glad I'm not in NY this morning."
"Why?"
"Some idiot flew his plane into the WTC. It must be a total zoo downtown."

Just then one of his co-workers came over from the printing area and said a second plane had hit.

I paid, and went out to the car where my wife had the radio on. I guess the car was pointed south, because when I looked in my side-view mirror I saw smoke rising. When I pointed it out to my wife I said "That's about where the Pentagon is." Just then the announcement about the Pentagon came over the radio.

We were just moving into our apartment, and still didn't have cable hooked up, or much for food in the apartment. Everything was closed. We finally found a place to eat later that night at a hotel restaurant, where we watched the monitors with everyone else as they replayed the towers falling - the first time I saw it was about 10 hours later. We also saw the first missile strikes in Afghanistan.

Later that night we sat out in front of our apartment and watched fighters scrambling over the D.C. lights.

I was at GW law in D.C., but was with my wife getting supplies near our apartment in Arlington that morning. We in the Staples lot, and we stopped to hear the news about the first plane hitting.

I went into the store and while ringing up I said to the cashier "I'm glad I'm not in NY this morning."
"Why?"
"Some idiot flew his plane into the WTC. It must be a total zoo downtown."

Just then one of his co-workers came over from the printing area and said a second plane had hit.

I paid, and went out to the car where my wife had the radio on. I guess the car was pointed south, because when I looked in my side-view mirror I saw smoke rising. When I pointed it out to my wife I said "That's about where the Pentagon is." Just then the announcement about the Pentagon came over the radio.

We were just moving into our apartment, and still didn't have cable hooked up, or much for food in the apartment. Everything was closed. We finally found a place to eat later that night at a hotel restaurant, where we watched the monitors with everyone else as they replayed the towers falling - the first time I saw it was about 10 hours later. We also saw the first missile strikes in Afghanistan.

Later that night we sat out in front of our apartment and watched fighters scrambling over the D.C. lights.

I also think of those brave people on flight 93. They had full knowledge of what happened in NY and DC. They decided not to just sit there and become victims of those monsters.
Heroes all.

I think of the sad story of the Cliffords who were from Cork, but moved to the US. On Sept 11, Mark Clifford was at a meeting in the South Tower and was evacuated when the North Tower hit. When reaching outside to safety, he watched the United B767 with his sister Ruth Clifford and her 4 year old daughter Juliana on board plough into the building he just left.

image.jpg

Back