A High Level Study Of Mac Jones' Game

Great find. Thank you.

Not that I was worried about it, but it was nice to read somebody who trains Quarterbacks for a living say "“The whole point was I’m a little tired of hearing ‘arm strength issues’ ".

It's simply not an accurate criticism. Anybody with a clicker could see the same thing that I, and many others, do if they simply watched him play in football games. The kid has an excellent arm and is quite accurate at distance. Or medium. Or short. He's a fucking sniper is what he is, but if somebody wants to get worked up over him throwing an off-target pass after running backwards or sideways under pressure then I'll suggest that you never watched Tom Brady or anybody else play Quarterback. Every one of them will throw a few weak passes under that situation.

I know all of this will be forgotten in time, but let the kid have a rough game and all the people that criticized him will bray like donkeys. I got a feeling that, given a chance to be in the building for a few months and getting a few snaps under his belt --- Mac Jones will show everybody who he is.

This kid is going to make the rest of the NFL shit a collective brick before long and will be wildly popular here. I look forward to watching it play out.

I'm all in on Mac Jones and look forward to the day when Mike Felger opines that Belichick took a foolish risk by not trading up to get Jones higher and simply got lucky.
To say he has a weak arm is unfair IMO. He is being judged somewhat by the 4 guys who went in front of him who have superior arms. As long as he can make all the throws and continue to strengthen his arm and also get in better shape overall, I think he will be fine.

I have to admit though that I cringe every time the Brady comparison comes up. What a monumental gorilla to put on Jones shoulders. I realize he is most similar style wise in a lot of respects but I hate for him to come out of the gate with that ridiculous expectation. It is already hard enough being a #1 pick especially by Bill who never picks QBs that high, but to have the non-stop Brady comparisons is going to set this kid up for failure hard when he struggles which he will early on. I like that he seems mentally tough so I think he can roll with it hopefully but the media is going to be relentless on him. They have already started this week by saying that because Bill did not trade up for him, he really did not want him and it really was Kraft's pick. I am starting to believe that the whole Brady/Jimmy fiasco was mostly fabricated too. These guys are piranhas and will stop at nothing to get the clicks and make sure they pile on every chance they get.

I have to admit though that I cringe every time the Brady comparison comes up. What a monumental gorilla to put on Jones shoulders. I realize he is most similar style wise in a lot of respects but I hate for him to come out of the gate with that ridiculous expectation. It is already hard enough being a #1 pick especially by Bill who never picks QBs that high, but to have the non-stop Brady comparisons is going to set this kid up for failure hard when he struggles which he will early on.
I don't think so. You and I, certainly would be susceptible, but not him. We just put how we would feel onto him. One of his Brady-esque qualities is supreme confidence in himself and a desire to beat the best regardless of what anyone else thinks.

From an article in TheAthletic:

Then there was the uproar over Jones’ commitment to Alabama, which already had Jalen Hurts on campus and was committed to five-star recruit Tua Tagovailoa. There was no direct path to the starting job, but Jones knew he’d redshirt as a freshman, learn the offense and continue to add weight. He planned to earn his degree in three years, at which point he believed he’d have his chance to start.

“There are so many of these guys who run away from competition, and he ran to it,” former Bolles assistant coach Wayne Belger said.

Not many others believed in Jones the way he believed in himself.

“Hundreds of people probably told me he’s making a mistake going to Alabama,” Fagan said. “Hundreds, if not more.”

To say he has a weak arm is unfair IMO. He is being judged somewhat by the 4 guys who went in front of him who have superior arms. As long as he can make all the throws and continue to strengthen his arm and also get in better shape overall, I think he will be fine.

I have to admit though that I cringe every time the Brady comparison comes up. What a monumental gorilla to put on Jones shoulders. I realize he is most similar style wise in a lot of respects but I hate for him to come out of the gate with that ridiculous expectation. It is already hard enough being a #1 pick especially by Bill who never picks QBs that high, but to have the non-stop Brady comparisons is going to set this kid up for failure hard when he struggles which he will early on. I like that he seems mentally tough so I think he can roll with it hopefully but the media is going to be relentless on him. They have already started this week by saying that because Bill did not trade up for him, he really did not want him and it really was Kraft's pick. I am starting to believe that the whole Brady/Jimmy fiasco was mostly fabricated too. These guys are piranhas and will stop at nothing to get the clicks and make sure they pile on every chance they get.

Every QB that plays here is going to be compared to Brady for a very long time to come. Take that to the bank. It might very well be unfair, but I believe that Jones knows what that all means and isn't afraid to take his best shot.

That is the main thing to me-- you can't hide from it. You acknowledge the Gorilla and then go about your business. If somebody is the sensitive type who can't ignore the noise then playing QB in Foxboro is probably not the place for you.

Every QB that plays here is going to be compared to Brady for a very long time to come. Take that to the bank. It might very well be unfair, but I believe that Jones knows what that all means and isn't afraid to take his best shot.

That is the main thing to me-- you can't hide from it. You acknowledge the Gorilla and then go about your business. If somebody is the sensitive type who can't ignore the noise then playing QB in Foxboro is probably not the place for you.
Nice take.

Good post. I wasn't really worried about Jones (I said I thought he would roll with it) but more the expectation of the fanbase and our insufferable media. It seems no one can really get a chance to be themselves and develop. In truth, I hope Jones is different from Brady and better if that is even possible. I mean, why not? Set the bar as high as possible and then go get it.

Good post. I wasn't really worried about Jones (I said I thought he would roll with it) but more the expectation of the fanbase and our insufferable media. It seems no one can really get a chance to be themselves and develop. In truth, I hope Jones is different from Brady and better if that is even possible. I mean, why not? Set the bar as high as possible and then go get it.

Probably not going to happen, but anything is possible.

You get a guy with a really good baseline skill set and the traits to succeed and before long you have to kick the little birdie out of the nest to see if he can fly.

We won't know until that happens, but I'm convinced that he is the right guy for the job. I don't believe there were any decent reasons why he can't succeed at
a high level and we can worry about how to rearrange the Mount Rushmore of Boston sports a long time from now if there is any reason to. We rolled the dice to
try and find our next starting QB and there was nothing wrong with that move.

Everything changed in that first round. It's all different now.

One thing that those reading and doing the comparisons should keep in mind is no one is comparing Corkie to 6 time Patriot Superbowl winning TFB.

A better comparison is to the skill set that Brady had coming out of college. And it is there that the comparisons are favorable. Who knows what he will become with experience and coaching.

One thing that those reading and doing the comparisons should keep in mind is no one is comparing Corkie to 6 time Patriot Superbowl winning TFB.

A better comparison is to the skill set that Brady had coming out of college. And it is there that the comparisons are favorable. Who knows what he will become with experience and coaching.
Exactly. When I read this I can easily believe Brady did this stuff.

He was only 4 years old when he first showed off that unique combination of genetic traits. Playing soccer, when every kid on the field swarmed to the ball like bees to a hive, Jones realized he could just kick it over everyone’s head to an open space and race away for an easy goal. He’d score about 10 times every game.

As a 5-year-old in Pop Warner football, Jones began drawing up plays on cards in his bedroom. By the time he was 8, he spent his weekends making up play cards for his teammates’ wristbands, so they’d all know which play to run.

Great find. Thank you.

Not that I was worried about it, but it was nice to read somebody who trains Quarterbacks for a living say "“The whole point was I’m a little tired of hearing ‘arm strength issues’ ".

It's simply not an accurate criticism. Anybody with a clicker could see the same thing that I, and many others, do if they simply watched him play in football games. The kid has an excellent arm and is quite accurate at distance. Or medium. Or short. He's a fucking sniper is what he is, but if somebody wants to get worked up over him throwing an off-target pass after running backwards or sideways under pressure then I'll suggest that you never watched Tom Brady or anybody else play Quarterback. Every one of them will throw a few weak passes under that situation.

I know all of this will be forgotten in time, but let the kid have a rough game and all the people that criticized him will bray like donkeys. I got a feeling that, given a chance to be in the building for a few months and getting a few snaps under his belt --- Mac Jones will show everybody who he is.

This kid is going to make the rest of the NFL shit a collective brick before long and will be wildly popular here. I look forward to watching it play out.

I'm all in on Mac Jones and look forward to the day when Mike Felger opines that Belichick took a foolish risk by not trading up to get Jones higher and simply got lucky.

I don't know about anyone else, but I am starting think you are warming up on the guy a bit.

:coffee:

I don't know about anyone else, but I am starting think you are warming up on the guy a bit.

:coffee:

I'm going to try to find something else to discuss soon.

It isn't unusual for me to have a draft crush, but it is unusual that the Pats actually take him, so
please forgive me if I'm getting overly warm and runny. I knew I was getting borderline.

I'm going to try to find something else to discuss soon.

It isn't unusual for me to have a draft crush, but it is unusual that the Pats actually take him, so
please forgive me if I'm getting overly warm and runny. I knew I was getting borderline.
Trust me, I share the crush. I was on here screaming before the draft for the Pats to take Mac.

I'll agree that Jones' arm is stronger than Brady's was, coming out of college. It wasn't until 2003 when Brady's arm was good enough to start to lose that "dink and dunk" label. There's a reason Brady was still there in the 6th round.
Now as for how Jones turns out, is anybody's guess. There have been an awful lot of 1st round busts in the NFL at QB though. I'm just hoping for the best. :)

I'll agree that Jones' arm is stronger than Brady's was, coming out of college. It wasn't until 2003 when Brady's arm was good enough to start to lose that "dink and dunk" label. There's a reason Brady was still there in the 6th round.
Now as for how Jones turns out, is anybody's guess. There have been an awful lot of 1st round busts in the NFL at QB though. I'm just hoping for the best. :)
Brady was the master of dink and dunk for the first 2-3 years, and right up to the end of his Pats career no one confused him with a cannon-armed QB. Move the chains with long drives was the way we won games and that was fine with me. And I'd still rather have a smart and accurate QB rather than the opposite.

Here's an interesting article with a table that shows the power of the arms of most of the QBs in the league right now, as measured by a radar gun.

There are a few surprises in there, and in the discussion the author notes that a QBs reputation coming out of college is due, in part, to the scheme the team was running, and not necessarily the QBs actual arm-strength.

Here's an interesting article with a table that shows the power of the arms of most of the QBs in the league right now, as measured by a radar gun.

There are a few surprises in there, and in the discussion the author notes that a QBs reputation coming out of college is due, in part, to the scheme the team was running, and not necessarily the QBs actual arm-strength.

Some crazy #s in there. I looked for Brady but didn't find anything

"Like I was back when Deshaun Watson was clocked at 49, I am a tad suspicious about the mushy MPH results however. On tape, most of these pro QB prospects show plenty of arm and zip. Deshaun Watson's 49 MPH would be among the lowest velocity efforts recorded since 2008 (Blake Sims owns that dubious mark at 42). IN live action Watson is clearly NOT a soft-tossing passer. Ball velocity readings often confirm what the game tape shows. There are always some surprises and a few shocking disappointments every year. We cannot just go by the numbers; watching "how" they get to those MPHs is vital in evaluations."

Back