A way to establish parity in the NFL

The league has two issues:

1. Shortage of quarterbacks
2. Shortage of coaches

Which is pretty amazing, when you consider that there are only 32 of each job on the entire planet.

As a fan of the team with the best of each category, I say we change absolutely nothing and enjoy continued dominance. :shoot:

If the NFL really wants true parity why not go to a system of worst drafts first, last plays last, last gets first bid off the waiver wire, create a cap that devalues rosters and ensures that teams w/great QBs have no depth, create phony scandals to bring great teams back to the pack, influence coaching hires, change rules to water down the game, limit practice time, contact time, meeting time, and ensure your partners in the media play the everyone gets a trophy game and the league will reach their dream of parity. Every team will suck. He who sucks least will be the best. Yay.

The league has two issues:

1. Shortage of quarterbacks
2. Shortage of coaches

Which is pretty amazing, when you consider that there are only 32 of each job on the entire planet.

As a fan of the team with the best of each category, I say we change absolutely nothing and enjoy continued dominance. :shoot:

I guess so. A lot of QBs today get thrown into the fire right out of college, directly from the draft. Then you have coaches that have a system/philosophy and won't deviate or put said QB in position to succeed. Then you have the QBs that are thrown into action out of necessity, like Fitz in NY.

I think the problem is that there's no more patience. Coaches are always on the hot seat, and QBs are thrown into the fire. Owners are impatient and are quicker than ever to fire the coach. See Dolphins, Miami. There's never any continuity, it seems. Then there's the situation, as an example, Baltimore and NYG where they had to throw a ton of money taking up a good bulk of cap space. Other QBs that have had to step right in as rookies have come into a situation where they get killed because there's no OL (David Carr). You're right though, it's a QB/Coach combination league. It doesn't hurt having solid ownership either.

In today's NFL, it seems that the good QBs never make it to free agency. It will be interesting to see what happens with Luck going forward. Russell Wilson got his right?

I think whoever has the best record should get the first pick in every round of the draft.
There would be no more suck for luck.

I could never understand the concept of letting SHITTY TEAM get rewarded for bad management bad coaching and bad drafting. In my opinion you can reward them all the time and they will always be s*****...

Imagine how fun the last 15 years would have been to watch the NFL Draft if those were the rules in a pats were picking in the top 5 year in and year out.

You're a Capitalist ... Pig.

Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by imapig
I think whoever has the best record should get the first pick in every round of the draft.
There would be no more suck for luck.

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by imapig
I could never understand the concept of letting SHITTY TEAM get rewarded for bad management bad coaching and bad drafting. In my opinion you can reward them all the time and they will always be s*****...
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Originally Posted by imapig
Imagine how fun the last 15 years would have been to watch the NFL Draft if those were the rules in a pats were picking in the top 5 year in and year out.

You're a Capitalist ... Pig.

I think Pig is on to something! Why not reward the SB participants with the 1st and 2nd picks of the draft then after that 1st round go back to normal draft placement? Reward excellence!

Remember, this is Goddell's NFL. The SB winner will be handicapped 6 games and the other SB participant will be handicapped 4 games. Any playoff team will be docked 2 games. Everyone will have their balls checked for irregularities. ROFL

I think Pig is on to something! Why not reward the SB participants with the 1st and 2nd picks of the draft then after that 1st round go back to normal draft placement? Reward excellence!

In all fairness, every professional sport allows the worst teams to pick first.
I'm not sure when that practice started, but I would assume it's been that way since day 1 of the drafting concept (which dates back to 1936 for the NFL).

edit
Prior to the inaugural National Football League draft in 1936, players were free to sign with any club. This tended to make the stronger teams even stronger and created much disparity in the NFL.

On May 19, 1935, the league owners adopted a plan for a college player draft. Proposed by Bert Bell, the Eagles owner and future NFL commissioner, the plan called for teams to select players in inverse order of their finish the previous season.

The first draft had nine rounds and was increased to 10 in 1937. It was expanded to 20 rounds in 1939. Adding a twist to the procedure in 1938 and 1939, only the five teams that finished lowest in the previous season were permitted to make selections in the second and fourth rounds.

The Edmonton Oilers of the 2010s say hi!

Back