Alk's European Vacation (advice needed)

With regard to your sons ashes, and certainly I don’t want to advise you to break any laws, I chose to do so with my moms ashes this past summer back in Mass. I am glad I did.
From what I have read, getting the ashes on the plane isn't much of a problem. It's the whole scattering of ashes in Sweden. There's all kinds of hoops you have to jump through although I'm not sure what's stopping us from just doing it without all of that. 🤷‍♂️

From what I have read, getting the ashes on the plane isn't much of a problem. It's the whole scattering of ashes in Sweden. There's all kinds of hoops you have to jump through although I'm not sure what's stopping us from just doing it without all of that. 🤷‍♂️
We just did it.

Sounds like an assume trip Alk. I’ve never been but my daughter and hubby went before they got married.
I agree with all the Ireland crowd .... when you go and I know you will. Visit Kinsale stay in a B& B and play Oldhead you won’t be disappointed.

You will love it.

~Dee~

Sounds like an assume trip Alk. I’ve never been but my daughter and hubby went before they got married.
I agree with all the Ireland crowd .... when you go and I know you will. Visit Kinsale stay in a B& B and play Oldhead you won’t be disappointed.

You will love it.

~Dee~
I wish I could take more time and fit Ireland in. I even kind of jokingly mentioned it to my wife last night to see if she would bite. Maybe trim a day or two off of Sweden but Sweden is the prime objective of this trip so that's off the table. I am not anywhere near a good enough golfer to play at a course like that. Even the thought of having a caddie following me around while I hack away on a beautiful course like that sends my anxiety into overdrive. :ROFLMAO:

I wish I could take more time and fit Ireland in. I even kind of jokingly mentioned it to my wife last night to see if she would bite. Maybe trim a day or two off of Sweden but Sweden is the prime objective of this trip so that's off the table. I am not anywhere near a good enough golfer to play at a course like that. Even the thought of having a caddie following me around while I hack away on a beautiful course like that sends my anxiety into overdrive. :ROFLMAO:
Anyone is good enough trust me. Evan if you won’t play it they’ll let you walk around and Kinsale is absolutely gorgeous....make it a bucket list trip;)

~Dee~

Anyone is good enough trust me. Evan if you won’t play it they’ll let you walk around and Kinsale is absolutely gorgeous....make it a bucket list trip;)

~Dee~

Been there! Love Kinsale! I did not play there. We were only there for 24 hours. We didn't stay anywhere more than one night until we got to Galway and fell in love and stopped our trip. Kinsale's town area is great at night. We spent the next morning at the fort and then buggered on.

Honestly, I wouldn't shoehorn a couple of days into an Ireland stop over, plan a separate vacation. The first time I went, I was pretty indifferent but wow is it an amazing country. No picture can do Ireland the same justice as seeing it with your own eyes. I once spent 9 days there from Dublin and all throughout Cork and Kerry. I am not much on repeating vacation destinations but I'll go to Ireland every few years until I die.

Been there! Love Kinsale! I did not play there. We were only there for 24 hours. We didn't stay anywhere more than one night until we got to Galway and fell in love and stopped our trip. Kinsale's town area is great at night. We spent the next morning at the fort and then buggered on.
We went to county Kerry it was our home base where we played Waterville, Tralee, and, Ballybunion, we visited so many little towns ..... Such a great time.

~Dee~

We went to county Kerry it was our home base where we played Waterville, Tralee, and, Ballybunion, we visited so many little towns ..... Such a great time.

~Dee~
Jealous.

I am forever trying to get our group of friends to let me organize an Ireland trip but the last few years have been heavy with HS and college spring breaks and a bunch of 50th birthday trips and they all end up somewhere in the Caribbean.

But, I am a persistent f*ck and I always get my way eventually. All kids are graduated (word?) and the last two 50th birthday trips are in Jan/24 (Aruba, don't get me started, they get to choose)...

Jealous.

I am forever trying to get our group of friends to let me organize an Ireland trip but the last few years have been heavy with HS and college spring breaks and a bunch of 50th birthday trips and they all end up somewhere in the Caribbean.

But, I am a persistent f*ck and I always get my way eventually. All kids are graduated (word?) and the last two 50th birthday trips are in Jan/24 (Aruba, don't get me started, they get to choose)...
That’s so funny we are starting our bucket list trips lol. Hubby said last month lets do a golf trip in the islands... I said my turn I want to go to Greece one of my bucket list trips .... we’re going in the fall lol. I really want to see my family and where my mom and my dads family’s grew up .... but Ukraine so that trips on hold. Unfortunately my spine doesn’t let me do some trips I would love to do .... but I can to portions at a time. Live in today because sometimes tomorrow may .....

But hubby is Irish so lm glad to travel back at anytime.

~Dee~

I shall start off by saying I am truly disgusted that you have no plans to visit our lovely little island here.

So, I'm leaving this thread. Sorry.
Sad story, Roberto: When my wife retired we channeled out inner hippies and donned our backpacks. We spent 11 weeks in Europe Goal: be sorta hippies again. Only Airbnbs with kitchen privileges, no taxis, local buses or walk, no more that one sit-down meal a week. Took trains and buses from Paris, through BeNeLus, Austria, Italy, France, another week in Paris, then 4 days in Iceland on the way back to Boston. The following year we were going to do Ireland, Scotland, England, Wales, and back through Ireland again (my grandmother was born in Cork). That was in 2015 and we never made it to Ireland and those other countries. (Sorry Gomezcat. I did participate in Portsmouth Hampshire's 800th anniversary in 1994 if that helps mitigate the sting of relegating England to "those other countries."

Now I'm 75 and can't even rent a car in Ireland. :(

I just wanted to start this thread to get some advice from people who have traveled overseas. This summer we are going on a trip to Sweden but there's so much more. Both of our boys were in a Swedish dancing group throughout high school. The big payoff for being in the group is getting to go on a trip to Sweden. Our oldest son never got to go because of COVID and this was supposed to be the year that we all got to go but life fucked that all up. My wife and I are still planning on going to honor our son since this was one of the things he was most looking forward to. Sorry, I tried to word all of that with as little sap as possible. Now on to the trip.

Our first stop will be in Iceland. It's going to be a pretty quick two day layover. Everything I have heard is that you really need 4-5 days there but this is what we've got. The Blue Lagoon is on our list and the wife really wants to see the Þingeyrakirkja church (I cut and pasted that). I'm also going to make a quick stop at Thor's Power Gym because that was on my son's list of things that he really wanted to see. I know there is so much more to see so does anyone have some suggestions while we're there?

After Iceland we plan to fly into Copenhagen and meet up with a friend who will take us on to Sweden where we will eventually meet up with our son and his group. We will be in Sweden for 6 days. We are hoping to be able to scatter some of our son's ashes there but it's sounding like there will be a bunch of hoops to jump through for that so 🤞 The Vasa museum and Liseberg amusement park are on the top of my list while I'm there. I wouldn't be opposed to try getting a round of golf in while I'm there but from what I've read it seems like a bit of an ordeal to be able to play on the courses over there.

Before he head for home we will catch a train from Stockholm to London for a quick visit. I think maybe three days total.

So anyways, there you have it. If you have any suggestions of things that we must see or even just some general travel advice as I have never been out of the country, it would all be appreciated.
I spent 4 nights in Iceland. arrived around midnight from Paris. Next day was total rest as we left Paris on July 14, Bastille day and partied like we were French (Hinky Dinky Parlez Vous). Second day was a tour to the southeast of Reykjavik. Interesting, lots of puffins. Third day was a Golden circle Tour. If you only do one thing in Iceland, that ought to be it. Touristy, sure, but geysers, waterfalls, canyons, walking on a glacier and drinking water dipping off it, stopping to pat those small horses, and standing on a short bridge over a three-foot wide stream that marked the boundary between the North American and European tectonic plates. (This was even better than standing in four states at four Corners). We left the next day.

Alcohol was evidently horribly expensive. Our Airbnb host offered to pick us up at the airport and bring us to his house if we bought a single duty free bottle of beefeaters gin for him (!). it wsno more than I pay here in the States, but not there! I found I could buy two bottles so i did and he was happy to take the second bottle and bring me back to the airport on day 4.

amazing country.

Just say it's powdered cricket protein... :coffee:

London is great, but try to find the non-tourist trap places for food/sightseeing. You can use the Underground (Tube) but London is a very walkable city. For a more varied experience, go and see the City (the original Roman/pre-Roman bit).

There are a lot if you look at TripAdvisor, so do your homework.

As a Brit (who has lived in London for the past 20 odd years):

1) look right when stepping across the road. London drivers, and cyclists, are frankly shit, so wait until they've stopped before crossing. There is no jaywalking law, so you can cross wherever.

2) feel free to ask for help, but PLEASE read the person's body language beforehand. If they're walking at pace from 0700 to 0930, or from 1630 to 1900, they're commuting. You can ask the unarmed Police. They're helpful and won't assume that you're about to shoot them. Best to leave the armed guys alone.

3) It's a large city. People will steal whatever you have on show. Let them make someone else their next victim.

4) Make sure your credit/debit cards work abroad. Most places DO NOT accept cash.

5) Double check your phone provider's roaming costs etc. Loads of Europe has WiFi, but be wary of public networks.

6) Wolters World on YouTube has great tips. He's an American who has travelled extensively and knows his stuff.

7) London is well-worth visiting. It's actually safe if you act cautiously.

London is great, but try to find the non-tourist trap places for food/sightseeing. You can use the Underground (Tube) but London is a very walkable city. For a more varied experience, go and see the City (the original Roman/pre-Roman bit).

There are a lot if you look at TripAdvisor, so do your homework.

As a Brit (who has lived in London for the past 20 odd years):

1) look right when stepping across the road. London drivers, and cyclists, are frankly shit, so wait until they've stopped before crossing. There is no jaywalking law, so you can cross wherever.

2) feel free to ask for help, but PLEASE read the person's body language beforehand. If they're walking at pace from 0700 to 0930, or from 1630 to 1900, they're commuting. You can ask the unarmed Police. They're helpful and won't assume that you're about to shoot them. Best to leave the armed guys alone.

3) It's a large city. People will steal whatever you have on show. Let them make someone else their next victim.

4) Make sure your credit/debit cards work abroad. Most places DO NOT accept cash.

5) Double check your phone provider's roaming costs etc. Loads of Europe has WiFi, but be wary of public networks.

6) Wolters World on YouTube has great tips. He's an American who has travelled extensively and knows his stuff.

7) London is well-worth visiting. It's actually safe if you act cautiously.
Good stuff

My "must visits" for a quick visit would be:

- Buckingham Palace and the Changing of the Guard. They're fully trained (and experienced) Infantry, who do 50% of their time in ceremonial duties. Note - be EARLY - an hour before.

- Green Park, which is next door. London gets pretty intense and parks are a must.

- St Paul's Cathedral and/or Westminster Abbey

- The Tower of London and Tower Bridge

- the Houses of Parliament.

- wander around the old Roman bit of the City of London.

- catch the No.11 bus.

I mention these because they're the kind of things you need to tick off your list.

There are loads of other (and arguably better) things, but these are quintessentially British and don't really compare to things in the US.

Back