Alk's European Vacation (advice needed)

Thanks. I would add that London is just a great place to wander around. When I first came here (from the North), I enjoyed just randomly seeing stuff. There's an amazing amount of history.

Agree with that, I love London and love just walking around the city. The areas in and around Kensington/Knightsbridge are beautiful with the great Georgian/Edwardian houses and parks and gardens. And then down to the South Bank to walk along the Thames there. So much to see and do. The Imperial War Museum is a must.

Last edited:
Agree with that, I love London and love just walking around the city. The areas in and around Kensington/Knightsbridge are beautiful with the great Georgian/Edwardian houses and parks and gardens. And then down to the South Bank to walk along the Thames there. So much to see and do. The Imperial War Museum is a must.
Definitely. All of those.

how recent of a phenomena is this? is there something behind this particularly?
I think it's pretty recent. We went to our bank and exchanged for some Swedish krona in anticipation of this trip. One of our friends went over to Sweden last year and said practically nobody took cash.

I think it's pretty recent. We went to our bank and exchanged for some Swedish krona in anticipation of this trip. One of our friends went over to Sweden last year and said practically nobody took cash.
It’s been over a decade since I was in Europe, but even back then there was a much higher propensity for debit cards than anything else.

Think it might relate to the wild ups n downs in crypto and the ever accelerating move to a purely digital economy. Not sure, but it seems like people don't want to b stuck with paper money. But just a guess.

how recent of a phenomena is this? is there something behind this particularly?
It's in the past 3 to 4 years. Covid accelerated it.

Tbh, it's really easy. We all have debit cards that you tap on payment machines. Occasionally you have to input your PIN.

As long as you keep an eye online at your accounts, and are careful about where you use the card, it's fine.

Think it might relate to the wild ups n downs in crypto and the ever accelerating move to a purely digital economy. Not sure, but it seems like people don't want to b stuck with paper money. But just a guess.
This. It's very rare for me to carry cash these days.

There are some legit "cash only" places, but plenty that are really dodgy.

I shall start off by saying I am truly disgusted that you have no plans to visit our lovely little island here.

So, I'm leaving this thread. Sorry.

:ROFLMAO: My apologies. I do want to visit Ireland one day (I think I have a dash of Irish blood in me) but it isn't fitting into our agenda this trip. If this little adventure goes well we do have plans to go back overseas.

Update: So it turns out that I have more than a dash of Irish blood in me. I got my Ancestry results back last night. Turns out I'm about 30% Irish. So sometime in the future I will probably be planning a much longer trip to Ireland.

You had me at hot dog. :ROFLMAO: That was one of the things that I was a little worried about with Iceland. I've hard that the food is very different. I'm not a terribly picky eater but I do have my boundaries.

I've been in Iceland twice, once for about a week, once for about 18hrs on a stopover back from Scotland.....Other than being expensive its a pretty easy place to deal with. Almost everyone under 60 speaks decent/good English, the food only gets weird if you want it too, and is beautiful. I'm sure you've come across it, but really the easiest way to see alot in a short amount of time is to do the Golden Circle route, we drove it with a group of friends, but there are buses that will do it as well, you'll see alot in less than a day.

Reactions: Alk
Flights have been booked so it's really real now. We're still working on our return flights. I guess if we get stuck there then so be it. :ROFLMAO:

The flight home has been booked. This trip will span from June 19th - July 4th. By far my longest vacation ever. The itinerary so far is pretty loosey goosey but I know for sure that while we're in London we will be doing the Harry Potter tour. We will also be going to the Liseberg amusement park in Gothenberg and the blue lagoon in Iceland.

Back