"Allies" fall short on Iraq aid pledges

BY1401

Make Loud. Go Boom.
Reaction score
Have any of these countries made statements about why they haven't paid, or have they stayed quiet and just not paid?

thomas144

Bandwagon Fan
Reaction score
Website
www.mudelephant.com
I think there are actually two different issues being debated in this thread:

1. some allies apparently have not given the money they had pledged to support Iraq reconstruction (I guess).

2. some countries with soldiers in Afghanistan are refusing to allow them into combat or into the rougher regions of the country.

In the first case, my feeling is, who can blame them?

The second case is a bit more difficult. I have very mixed feelings about Germany sending troups into combat anywhere, but I think they probably owe the US that much support.

BY1401

Make Loud. Go Boom.
Reaction score
thomas144 on 02-01-2008 at 04:53 PM said:
...I have very mixed feelings about Germany sending troups into combat anywhere...
Would you please elaborate on those feelings?

BY1401

Make Loud. Go Boom.
Reaction score
thomas144 on 02-01-2008 at 05:01 PM said:
I just don't like the idea of rekindling German militarism. They're too good at it!
Do you think that the German nation today would be apt to repeat the sins of generations past?

I can understand how some people may have cause for concern, but I think that Germany has long abandoned its Manifest Destiny. After all, reunification did not rekindle any lust for expansionism.

I remember my old World Politics professor saying one time that they wanted to build a European Germany rather than a German Europe.

Of course, he also said that when he taught at the Army War College, every Colonel that went through there ended up escalating to nuclear war during their conflict simulations on the first go around. That made me glad there were people there to teach them how to avoid nuclear war before they became generals.