And then there were 4

Of Ben Roethlisberger, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Aaron Rodgers, how many retire before Tom Brady does?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Giant Octopodes

Reaction score
Of the 10 oldest QBs as of 2 years ago, 6 have retired: Derek Anderson, Philip Rivers, Matt Cassel, Matt Schaub, Eli Manning, and Drew Brees.

Remaining, you have: Tom Brady (44), Ben Roethlisberger (39), Ryan Fitzpatrick (38), and Aaron Rodgers (37).

The question is simple - how many more of them will retire before Tom Brady does? On the face of it, the question is absurd. He's 5 years older than the next oldest QB, the answer should definitely be zero. But also, 4 years ago I asked my father how long he thought Tom Brady would play. He said 1 year, maybe 2, tops. I said I thought 3, with 1 more Super Bowl win. He said there was no way, zero chance, it was absurd. I thought there was a chance I was right a year and a half ago, and here we are. No one thought he would outlast Brees, and yet there is a very real chance this is not his last season. If it's not, I see no guarantee Ryan Fitzpatrick is back, and with Big Ben you never know, he's been talking about retirement for years now.

Personally if I had my druthers he would just retire already. However it's not up to me. So we may as well amuse ourselves with trying to predict the future, right?

Rodgers is such a wild card. He said he was 50/50 about retiring this year. I think if GB goes back on their word and does not trade him he will retire next year.

Ben I believe is done after this season. I think Fitz too.

I still get a good chuckle knowing Brady outlasted Manning and Luck. LOL

weird to think of the fact that THE BEN is older than Fitz.
interesting topic, G.O.

Of the 10 oldest QBs as of 2 years ago, 6 have retired: Derek Anderson, Philip Rivers, Matt Cassel, Matt Schaub, Eli Manning, and Drew Brees.

Remaining, you have: Tom Brady (44), Ben Roethlisberger (39), Ryan Fitzpatrick (38), and Aaron Rodgers (37).

The question is simple - how many more of them will retire before Tom Brady does? On the face of it, the question is absurd. He's 5 years older than the next oldest QB, the answer should definitely be zero. But also, 4 years ago I asked my father how long he thought Tom Brady would play. He said 1 year, maybe 2, tops. I said I thought 3, with 1 more Super Bowl win. He said there was no way, zero chance, it was absurd. I thought there was a chance I was right a year and a half ago, and here we are. No one thought he would outlast Brees, and yet there is a very real chance this is not his last season. If it's not, I see no guarantee Ryan Fitzpatrick is back, and with Big Ben you never know, he's been talking about retirement for years now.

Personally if I had my druthers he would just retire already. However it's not up to me. So we may as well amuse ourselves with trying to predict the future, right?
While I find the question interesting I’m not really sure any of them will retire ... if I were them I’d hang out until he leaves ....seeing he’s a lot older. But he could be a Joe Montana who waited way to long and went out in a wimmper.

I honestly hope he goes out on a high note.

~Dee~

That’s not what I’m saying but again never mind...

~Dee~

Ok my point take it or leave it is I don’t want Brady to end up like Montana or for that matter Manning I want to go out with a bang not a whimper.... Not an age related but a personal related thing.

~Dee~

Not quite, the statement was "he could be a Joe Montana who waited way too long and went out on a whimper". It's not about the age Joe Montana retired at, it's about waiting way too long and going out on a whimper. If Brady were to retire this year, after having won a Super Bowl, his 7th, most in NFL history, in his first year on a new team in a year with no offseason, it would be a high note obviously. If he retired next year, after passing Drew Brees for yardage and claiming even more records to add to his absurd pile of them, it would be going out on a high note. If he played another 5 years, with continually declining numbers during those years, and only made the playoffs twice in those years, and never won the Superbowl nor another MVP nor made another Pro Bowl, it would be going out on a whimper.

Which is not to say that he is going to do that. At all. The statement was just that it still remains possible (being that the future is unknown) that such events might transpire, and that it would be undesirable for that to happen. That it is hoped that instead he goes out on a high note, which is to say the year he wins it all, or a year after, or otherwise in a fashion which adds to the overall legacy rather than detracting from it.

Joe Montana did not go out on a whimper. He went to KC his final 2 seasons and made the playoffs both years.

Perhaps it just seems like a whimper in relation to Brady who won the SB his first year out of NE at age 43.

Joe Montana did not go out on a whimper. He went to KC his final 2 seasons and made the playoffs both years.

Perhaps it just seems like a whimper in relation to Brady who won the SB his first year out of NE at age 43.

Leaving Brady out of it, I agree. Joe did not go out with a whimper. He made quite a good showing for himself despite the surgeries and stuff.
In 94 I think it was, dunno really, I really got into sports after having grown up in a home that really placed little significance on it other than boxing.

That year I was sitting in a decrepit county jail in bumf@#k NH when Bledsoe and Parcells began igniting the region. But the thing I remember most was Montana leading KC down the field with such command and skill whenever I saw them. KC didn't win it all with him, but I would say he comported himself quite well and was a big reason I became passionate about the sport.

Not quite, the statement was "he could be a Joe Montana who waited way too long and went out on a whimper". It's not about the age Joe Montana retired at, it's about waiting way too long and going out on a whimper. If Brady were to retire this year, after having won a Super Bowl, his 7th, most in NFL history, in his first year on a new team in a year with no offseason, it would be a high note obviously. If he retired next year, after passing Drew Brees for yardage and claiming even more records to add to his absurd pile of them, it would be going out on a high note. If he played another 5 years, with continually declining numbers during those years, and only made the playoffs twice in those years, and never won the Superbowl nor another MVP nor made another Pro Bowl, it would be going out on a whimper.

Which is not to say that he is going to do that. At all. The statement was just that it still remains possible (being that the future is unknown) that such events might transpire, and that it would be undesirable for that to happen. That it is hoped that instead he goes out on a high note, which is to say the year he wins it all, or a year after, or otherwise in a fashion which adds to the overall legacy rather than detracting from it.
I would argue the opposite actually. Super Bowls are irrelevant right now in terms of Brady's legacy and age. He's won enough and given his age, no one is going hold anything against him if he does not win anymore. But what he can do is reach some unbelievable legacy records if he does play 3-4 years that would put him in Wayne Gretsky territory or maybe surpass Wayne given football is so much harder to play than hockey for the long haul.

264 wins (regular/postseason). Manning in second with 200. 36 more wins and Brady reaches 300. He’d need to play in 2023, at age 46. I’d say it’s 50/50 at worst, as I suspect he’ll play as long as Tampa is primed. This may be the most unchallengeable record in professional sports…winning at an outlier winning pct while playing an outlier number of seasons.

91,653 passing yards (regular/postseason). He needs 8,347 passing yards to reach 100,000. There’s a decent chance he would reach that in 2022. Regular season is 79,204, so he‘ll probably fall short there.

664 touchdown passes (regular/postseason). Can he throw more TDs than any baseball players has career home runs? He needs 763…99 to go. He would need to play in 2023 and average 33 TD passes per year, over the new 17 game regular season plus postseason.

83 postseason touchdown passes (90 total if you include rushing TDs). 100 postseason touchdowns is a possibility, though the variable of how many playoff games he’ll have is a wide range.

Ok my point take it or leave it is I don’t want Brady to end up like Montana or for that matter Manning I want to go out with a bang not a whimper.... Not an age related but a personal related thing.

~Dee~
Manning won a superbow,l Montana did not they both suffered injuries and were replaced in the final years of their careers ....is my point I dont wanthim to get injuried and try to make a come back I want him to go out on a high note this isnt that hard to understand. Its not a dig on any of them.

~Dee~

Last edited:
Manning won a superbowl Steve Young did not they both suffered injuries and were replaced in the final years of their careers ....is my point I dont wanthim to get injuried and try to make a come back I want him to go out on a high note this isnt that hard to understand. Its not a dig on any of them.

~Dee~
You mentioned Montana in your post. Steve Young did win a SB (was SB MVP with 6 TDs passes, a SB record) and was also league MVP twice. The end of his career was far better than the beginning.

Back