Anyone experience DirecTV DVR issues?

jayShomp

Reaction score
My DVR just performed some sort of update to enable 3D programming and now my remote nor the buttons on the DVR itself work. I've reset it about 10 times. Wanted to know if this is a common problem when I call them

My DVR just performed some sort of update to enable 3D programming and now my remote nor the buttons on the DVR itself work. I've reset it about 10 times. Wanted to know if this is a common problem when I call them

I got something saying that I have 3D but the remote seemed to work after that. I did not try to DVR anything after that point.

Good luck calling them {sarcasm off}:coffee:

Good luck calling them {sarcasm off}:coffee:
Funny you should say that, I'm getting a call cannot go through message when trying to call them. And their site is hella slow right now. I wander if it is widespread and they're getting overloaded.

I absolutley hate having to call any of these companies...I've had comcast, directv. etc..

I always get the person who you can tell is reading the script, and cant answer a simple question.

And when I call I always get the 'due to higher than expected caller volume' message.

It's a common issue. For anyone that needs it:

Flip the door down on the right side of the box, press the red button, it will start to reboot, wait for the screen to go gray, press the button again.

I'll let you know if it works for me.

It's a common issue. For anyone that needs it:

Flip the door down on the right side of the box, press the red button, it will start to reboot, wait for the screen to go gray, press the button again.

I'll let you know if it works for me.

it would have to be, for them to give you the answer that quicky.

Cynical, I am.:coffee:

Don't push the red button you'll Nuke yourself!!!!!

it would have to be, for them to give you the answer that quicky.

Cynical, I am.:coffee:

It was actually an automated response, that's how common it is. Yet they put nothing about it on their site anywhere. Probably because they don't want potential customers to know there's any type of issue out there.

The fix worked, hopefully this will be useful for someone. Apparently this can even effect the non-DVR boxes so the red button could be located elsewhere, but it should be wherever the card is located.

I had that same problem this morning. I switched Batteries on my remote and unplugged the DVR twice. It back to working now.

Same problem at my house, the BF just called to tell me the TV isn't working. He tried to reset with the little red button and it did not work :(

BOW and all...happened to me also and I tried to reset first since they always ask you when you call. If they try to make you do it while you call them I just BS them I am doing it since I already did it.
Anyway...after the reset, the remote DID NOT work...so I unplugged the power cord from the back of the unit counted to 10 then plugged it back in. After that, it reset itself AGAIN, gave me the 3D message then everything remote wise worked. Hope that helps!

Yes, I will do ANYTHING POSSIBLE myself before I resort to calling any of those types of places. :)

I absolutley hate having to call any of these companies...I've had comcast, directv. etc..

I always get the person who you can tell is reading the script, and cant answer a simple question.

And when I call I always get the 'due to higher than expected caller volume' message.

That one always cracks me up. And it is EVERYWHERE! What, do they figure only about 6 people will call during the business day to keep the 1 employee still on staff bizzy??

:shrug:

[Q: What's the worst hold time: Comcast, BofA or IRS?? >) ]

The fix worked, hopefully this will be useful for someone. Apparently this can even effect the non-DVR boxes so the red button could be located elsewhere, but it should be wherever the card is located.
Worked for me as well. I had to push the red button, let it reset, then unplug it for 10 seconds. Came right back on, remote working fine.

I'll check mine when I get home (I have to Directv DVRs).
both the red button and unplugging should force it to reload.
if you really want to force a full download of the software, you push the red button, then when the screen comes up saying "hello" or something stupid, you press a button sequence on the remote (I think it's 2, 4, 6, 8, OK button but you can google it to make sure) and it will redownload the firmware for the box. takes a while.

For a short while I was checking out the various Satellite geek web sites and they would know when Directv had a beta version that you could get if you did this process at certain hours late at night on a specific date for those that wanted to be beta testers.

Worked for me as well. I had to push the red button, let it reset, then unplug it for 10 seconds. Came right back on, remote working fine.
Yeah I noticed some comments on their message board that some people had to do the unplugging way to reset before or after the red button reset to get it to work. I had already unplugged it a few times recently so that might have helped. Nice update DirecTV

. Nice update DirecTV

I had directv for 5 years. I liked it, but I saw all the deals they were giving to new customers.

I called them, I said I was looking for a deal, like the ones they give new customers.

They offered me $5 off my bill for a year:blink:

I said my next call to you will be to cancel my service.

I got a very good deal from Comcast, and left directv.

They continue to call and send me offers like the one I was looking for, brilliant customer service.

I just checked my DVR's and they were updated, but no problems with my remotes.
I see that they rushed in the 3D support for the world cup. Gee... the .01% of their subscribers that actually have a 3D tv can now watch an event 99% of americans don't care about (unless team USA starts doing good).

I had directv for 5 years. I liked it, but I saw all the deals they were giving to new customers.

I called them, I said I was looking for a deal, like the ones they give new customers.

They offered me $5 off my bill for a year:blink:

I said my next call to you will be to cancel my service.

I got a very good deal from Comcast, and left directv.

They continue to call and send me offers like the one I was looking for, brilliant customer service.

I just ended a promo package with Comcast and called to see what they had and to cancel my other promotion (free HBO for a year) they said I can get all the movie channels for a year for 13 dollars more a month or lose HBO and other channels associated with the promotion and pay 5 dollars more a month
so now I'm wondering if maybe I should look into DirectTv :spock:

Back