This is my favorite of Michelangelo's sculptures. I am perpetually in awe of the thinness of the draperies at Mary's feet.

This is marble, people, not malleable clay! It leaves me breathless.

I love art, especially that from the Renaissance, with Michelangelo's being my favorite. What I would give to have been an assistant to him, moving the scaffolding and cleaning his brushes while he accomplished this stunning, wondrous work:

PF09 has submitted several posts attesting to how Italy is just different from any other place one can go when it comes to gaining an appreciation of what some past masters and artisans have been able to accomplish.

I haven't been to Rome, but I've been to Florence and Siena and Venice and several smaller towns. And PF09 is correct, but words and images on a computer screen are no substitute for actually being there.

And the food and wine and gelati and Aperol spritzes and Bellinis were good, too. 🍷🍷🍷

PF09 has submitted several posts attesting to how Italy is just different from any other place one can go when it comes to gaining an appreciation of what some past masters and artisans have been able to accomplish.

I haven't been to Rome, but I've been to Florence and Siena and Venice and several smaller towns. And PF09 is correct, but words and images on a computer screen are no substitute for actually being there.

And the food and wine and gelati and Aperol spritzes and Bellinis were good, too. 🍷🍷🍷
I don't think I could handle seeing any of his works in person. I am dumbstruck by looking through art books and seeing slides of them. Honestly, I would collapse on the floor, weeping and sobbing.

That is beautiful, Hawgie! Takes the same skill as setting a compass rose in a floor. As Babalu would say, "Tre.Men.Dous."
Thank you. Much like those little kids I was talking about it always feels good when somebody says something nice
about your art. And that one was at least as much engineering as it is art, but if the end result works, then I don't worry

Anyhow, I haven't done inlay in a floor yet, but I've always thought that compass rose/mariner's compass were beautiful and
I've done a couple of things incorporating them. The first pic was my first try at cutting one and I was pretty pleased with the
way the compass came out.

The other one was a sign I did for a restaurant recently that I mentioned somewhere in this thread. I just figured out how to get it
onto my laptop or I would've stuck it into that post. The owner cried when she saw it which is pretty much the zenith of my art
career. I didn't invent that font, but I wish I did. I'm not a talented or trained painter, but I can usually get it done. In this case, It
combines woodworking, carving, painting and gold leaf and none of it is perfect, but I'm trying different stuff and this one worked out pretty well.

. compassrs.jpg

Rvrhs.jpg

Is this stuff done digitally? If so, what application?
This one was via a freeware type Photoshop with other tools. I'm still trying to learn how to use Photoshop to its fullest. It's almost like going back to college...

I also paint (acrylic, watercolor/watercolor pencil, alcohol ink...not really paint, but...) but, most of the stuff here is digital art.

Ayn Rand had a little to say on the subject. She wrote books about Esthetics. :)

Art​

Art is a selective re-creation of reality according to an artist’s metaphysical value-judgments. Man’s profound need of art lies in the fact that his cognitive faculty is conceptual, i.e., that he acquires knowledge by means of abstractions, and needs the power to bring his widest metaphysical abstractions into his immediate, perceptual awareness. Art fulfills this need: by means of a selective re-creation, it concretizes man’s fundamental view of himself and of existence. It tells man, in effect, which aspects of his experience are to be regarded as essential, significant, important. In this sense, art teaches man how to use his consciousness. It conditions or stylizes man’s consciousness by conveying to him a certain way of looking at existence.

The Romantic Manifesto

“Art and Cognition,”
The Romantic Manifesto, 45

By a selective re-creation, art isolates and integrates those aspects of reality which represent man’s fundamental view of himself and of existence. Out of the countless number of concretes—of single, disorganized and (seemingly) contradictory attributes, actions and entities—an artist isolates the things which he regards as metaphysically essential and integrates them into a single new concrete that represents an embodied abstraction.

For instance, consider two statues of man: one as a Greek god, the other as a deformed medieval monstrosity. Both are metaphysical estimates of man; both are projections of the artist’s view of man’s nature; both are concretized representations of the philosophy of their respective cultures.

Art is a concretization of metaphysics. Art brings man’s concepts to the perceptual level of his consciousness and allows him to grasp them directly, as if they were percepts.

This is the psycho-epistemological function of art and the reason of its importance in man’s life (and the crux of the Objectivist esthetics).

The Romantic Manifesto

“The Psycho-Epistemology of Art,”
The Romantic Manifesto, 19

Here is an introduction to a few art students I had the pleasure of meeting and becoming friends with while at RIC. Many have become professors and teachers in various and numerous universities and colleges:

Last edited:
Back