Asante Talking About A Trade

mikiemo83 on 04-07-2007 at 08:30 PM said:
I agree about being pissed but he needs to realize the fans who pay don't like to hear it

as I said bfore do not compare last year to this year at $700,000 to $7,8000,000 not guaranteed

but look at $7,800,000 not guaranteed instead of $12,000,000 or more up to $20,000,000 guaranteed plus security of at least three years based on cap hit

:::stomping foot like a baby:::

No! No no no no no no NO! :)

Seriously, though, mikie... What you're neglecting in your assessment is the same thing that Branch couldn't fathom. Asante isn't a free agent. He's not ENTITLED to that $12M/$20M scenario yet. If he were a free agent, he would be. But the CBA has the Franchise Tag (and other things like the RFA status) in it, which means he's still property of the Patriots. As has been said, if the beef is with the CBA then the players need to band together and get it changed, but these ARE the rules and the Patriots are playing by them.

If he's not yet entitled to that 12/20 scenario, then he should look at it the way we're looking at it. It's a one-year salary at a ONE THOUSAND ONE HUNDRED PERCENT RAISE! (Hell, I get around 3% if I'm lucky.) And it makes him one of the highest-paid corners next season.

He needs to shut his yap, take the dough, say "thank you Mister Kraft", and then next season he can go play where he pleases.

Izzo=Great on 04-07-2007 at 09:24 PM said:
I thought the $7,800,000 was guaranteed isnt that what "franchise tag" means?
Yes it is.
As far as Assante wanting what nate clements got then he is getting exactly what Nate did. Nate was franchised last year by Buffalo. He paid his due. They agreed that in return for him showing up in training camp they wouldn't tag him again the next year. If Assante wants the Nate Clements treatment he is getting it. Nate acted like a professional who knows the rules of the games and played by them. Lets see if Assante does the same.
I understand Assantes camp for convienently forgetting that Nate played for a year under the franchise tag but I don't get why everybody else forgets to put it in the equation.

JD10367 on 04-08-2007 at 08:04 AM said:

Seriously, though, mikie... What you're neglecting in your assessment is the same thing that Branch couldn't fathom. Asante isn't a free agent. He's not ENTITLED to that $12M/$20M scenario yet. If he were a free agent, he would be. But the CBA has the Franchise Tag (and other things like the RFA status) in it, which means he's still property of the Patriots. As has been said, if the beef is with the CBA then the players need to band together and get it changed, but these ARE the rules and the Patriots are playing by them.

If he's not yet entitled to that 12/20 scenario, then he should look at it the way we're looking at it. It's a one-year salary at a ONE THOUSAND ONE HUNDRED PERCENT RAISE! (Hell, I get around 3% if I'm lucky.) And it makes him one of the highest-paid corners next season.

He needs to shut his yap, take the dough, say "thank you Mister Kraft", and then next season he can go play where he pleases.
Actually, he is a free agent, which is why the Pats put the franchise tag on him. I don't think it's even possible to put the franchise tag on someone who's not a free agent. Also, if Samuel signs the tender and plays for the franchise amount, there would be nothing stopping the Pats from putting the franchise tag on him next year as well.

The Branch situation was completely different, because Deion was still under contract.

Reiss said this AM that Assante was looking for $30 million in the first 3 years of the deal.

To which my only reaction is buh-bye.

Assante may or may not be a top 10 CB but he sure as hell isn't the best CB in the league.

I am beseaching the football gods to show favor upon the Patriots by once again allowing Dan Snyder to overrule his football operation and overpay for a guy because he's heard his name on SportsCenter.

Benign Despot on 04-08-2007 at 11:28 AM said:
Reiss said this AM that Assante was looking for $30 million in the first 3 years of the deal.

Aye Caramba! Just who does that boy think he is?! You all would be better off paying that to a 50 year-old Ty Law, than to a WAY over-hyped Asante Samuel.

That boy had the PERFECT contract year. Ten interceptions, on mid-tier talent. No free agent will ever be as fortunate.

Benign Despot on 04-08-2007 at 11:28 AM said:
I am beseaching the football gods to show favor upon the Patriots by once again allowing Dan Snyder to overrule his football operation and overpay for a guy because he's heard his name on SportsCenter.
Sometimes it feels like Belichick and Pioli are playing poker with a few amateurs at the table who are always going all-in with inside straight draws on the river.

--James

Sundayjack on 04-08-2007 at 01:23 PM said:
That boy had the PERFECT contract year. Ten interceptions, on mid-tier talent. No free agent will ever be as fortunate.
I bet that's exactly why Samuel doesn't want to play for the $8 mil. franchise contract. What are the odds he'll have double-digit interceptions again this year? I could see him getting 7 picks, but they don't give you $10 mil/year for 7 picks. His 2006 season was a combination of skill and luck.

All the talk about wanting guaranteed money because of the risk of injury is only half the story. He wants his fat contract TODAY because he may not get such fat offers next year.

Don't get me wrong. He's a very good cornerback. But $10 mil/year is crazy money.

--James

Time to get off the pot with this guy.

Let him get his big money elsewhere, just ask the Titans how David Givens is working out for them. He'd have been better off staying put.

Damien Woody? How's life like in that football black hole known as the Lions?

Deion Branch wanted number 1 receiver money, but when he got it from Seattle he had the nerve to say that he wasn't a number 1 receiver and he wasn't going to lead them to the promised land just because he was on the team now.

I am getting sick of this crap.

Another reason guys with the tag are unhappy is the agents pushing them to be so. Agents only get 2% commission the first year a player is tagged instead of their normal 3%, and only 1.5% if the player is tagged for a 2nd or 3rd year.

I guess I will never understand how someone would rather be on a losing team but making more money than making a reasonable amount on a team with a winning track record and a very strong chance of getting to the SB again this year (with of course the "less money" option being way more in one year than the average American could ever hope to earn in his lifetime). I am curious when this era of obscene salaries and outrageously selfish players began? I am sure someone here knows.

MattsPats on 04-08-2007 at 07:29 PM said:
I guess I will never understand how someone would rather be on a losing team but making more money than making a reasonable amount on a team with a winning track record and a very strong chance of getting to the SB again this year (with of course the "less money" option being way more in one year than the average American could ever hope to earn in his lifetime). I am curious when this era of obscene salaries and outrageously selfish players began? I am sure someone here knows.

i agree man.

i would rather take a pay cut with the patriots noing i have a chance of winnng a champoinship.

rather then get a huge deal with a team like the skins or bears and never win a champoinship.

obviously for people like samuel money is more important than winning champoiship's.

i hope samuel leaves,and he joins a poor team and he and them root away together.

we have got gay back and two first round picks,forget samuel new england we dont need players who think they are more important than the team,sorry about the rant folks.

does anyone agree with me?

PATRIOT4EVER on 04-08-2007 at 07:35 PM said:
does anyone agree with me?

I agree with you PATRIOT4EVER

While he's a good player and i'd like him to stay but if its only about money then F him, see ya later Asante "pay me" Samual.

Look at Bruschi for example, has taken less money all his career just so he can stay with the Pats.

Everyone knows that with BB, its all about "Team", no one is bigger than that & correctly so IMHO.

Hopefully they can sort it out but I reckon he's gone, so now its all about what we can get for him!

I got his jersey the day he got a franchise tag put on him which sucks...alot. I hope he doesnt leave the pats but im guessin hes gunna.

JD10367 on 04-08-2007 at 08:04 AM said:

he is a free agent - labeled with the franchise tag with any team willing to forfeit 2 no. picks allowed to sign him.

mikiemo83 on 04-08-2007 at 09:22 PM said:
he is a free agent - labeled with the franchise tag with any team willing to forfeit 2 no. picks allowed to sign him.

You are correct. A UFA with a non exclusive tag can sign with any team that is willing to give up the compensation. Just the #1 pick in this and next years draft.

Without disclosing my personal feelings on the subject, it is my thought that he plays this year under the tag. Sitting out not only loses value in the league, it costs him a whole ton of money that Me-on didn't have to think about.

I also don't beleive that any team will give up the compensation to the Pats and just sign him away. Nor will the Pats be interested in any "acceptable compensation other than what is allowed in the CBA" (think:trade) after this draft. If the situation were extremely good for the team, such a deal could be made before the draft. (think: top 16 pick, non conference opponent, 6 year contract for the rook).

Again, without including my personal feelings, I say he stays and plays under the tag this season.

Sir Otilc on 04-08-2007 at 04:13 PM said:
The day Curt Flood challenged baseball's reserve clause.

Well put....

Anyway, Samuel's a good player and all, and losing him for the year, or until week 10 if he holds out, would appear to hurt the team. But that's the way the cookie crumbles....he's playing within the rules. As are the Patriots.

And Samuel obviously doesn't really care about playing for the Patriots.....he say "show me the money". And it's his big chance....10 int's, he's still young, he brought two int's all the way to the house in the playoffs....this is his big chance.

Like Larry Brown, who had two big int's, both brought back for td's, for the Cowboys vs. the Steelers, in SB 30. And that dude signed a big contract as a free agent. It's the lay of the land.

It all just makes the legend of Bruschi and the legend of Troy Brown all the more special.

Go Patriots!

Back