Bailey Zappe II

Zappe will become a NFL head coach.

I entered Zappe shirtless in the Google machine, based on what I saw I predict that he will wind up being better than Brady but not as good as Mac.

Probably should clear my browser history, tough one to explain to the wife.

Like HS said, keep it civil, guys.

Go Green I See You GIF by Michigan State Athletics

I entered Zappe shirtless in the Google machine, based on what I saw I predict that he will wind up being better than Brady but not as good as Mac.

Probably should clear my browser history, tough one to explain to the wife.
:harumph: there aren't any of those pics...but i had safe search on. 😄

Maybe not eventual replacement, but certainly with the idea of stepping in should Mac do down. Like Ryan Mallett. Not drafted as Brady's eventual replacement, I'm sure, but how many game minutes passed before Mallett was suddenly the starting QB?

Certainly Zappe's style and strengths match Mac's, and I doubt that's a coincidence.

I'm going to try to keep this Sybil. I think that Jarrett should not sign
any long term leases or make reservation in June at the top of the Pru.

Last edited:
I gotta say.... I've been watching clips on our new guys and Zappe looks pretty damn good.

If I just squint a little and look for the most open guy following the snap, then BAM, every time Zappe finds him.

Maybe I'm nuts, but it looks to me like he goes through progressions about as fast as any College QB you will see and
it is another Mac trait. In addition, he'll throw a floater when a floater will do and drill it when necessary. He may not
have a rocket laser, but I believe scouts will ding a guy for NOT throwing the ball at top speed, even when doing
so might circumstantially make the pass less likely to be hauled in, not more.

Watching him throw TDs got almost laughable. I mean.....62 in one year? That is a crazy stat that is hard to comprehend. 62
is a good college career, not one season.

Have you seen this?

Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate

*2021 Western Kentucky CUSA SR QB 14 475 686 69.2 5967 8.7 9.8 62 11 168.9

Almost 4.5 TDs per game

I rolled my eyes when I heard his name called, but I'm not grousing after watching him. Nobody thinks about the backup QB
until he has to take over when your QB1 goes down. This guy might be the difference between remaining competitive and
just going through the motions. He could really be that guy. If so, then a 4th round pick is worth the payoff.

I've seen plenty of backup QBs drafted since the year one BB. Kevin O'Connell, Matt Cassel, Rohan Davey, Ryan Mallett, Stidham
and a few others. A couple of them had big arms, but none of them looked like they were as advanced in terms of mechanics
or pocket presence as Zappe.

This doesn't mean that concerns about his arm are totally wrong, but my impression is that they may be exaggerated in much the
same way that I feel Mac's have been.

Preseason just got more interesting.

Meanwhile the rest of the league's FOs are on the lookout for the next mobile and dynamic QB who can run, throw and spit in the wind.

BTW, I'm also told the kid is insanely smart. Mac is too. That's what Belichick thinks is important apparently. I agree. His arm strength is a bit less than Mac's but
that can improve with time and training. There's no fixing a low IQ. Zappe didn't get the high level of coaching that Mac got so there's some catching up for him.

If you don't know Zappe, here are his 2021 highlights. It's a loooong video. Enjoy but also watch with a critical eye.

Accurate, quick decisions, good arm, poise, anticipation, touch and gets through his progressions.
Biggest knock is arm strength...it has to get better for the NFL. I agree with that.
Another knock is competition level. He only played 3 career games against P-5 Competition (BIG 10 & Big 12) and lost all 3 but as you can see, it wasn't his fault.

10/2/21 @ #17 Michigan St. (Lost 48-31). 46 of 64 488 Yards 71.9 Comp. 3TDS 0INT
9/25/21 vs Indiana University (Lost 33-31). 31 of 44 365 Yards 70.5 Comp 3TDS 0INT
8/31/19 @ UTEP (Lost 36-34). 27 of 37 300 Yards 73.0 Comp 2TDS 0INT

Why wasn't this kid projected higher by the pundits?
Well, he's great against zone defenses but he does some things not so well and has a lot to learn as this video shows.

Don't get down on him...there's a lot to work with and he will learn in time if he makes the team.

He'll have a lot on his plate learning the offense so that's priority #1 for this season but he also needs to work on his arm strength. Calling Tom House!

His Senior Bowl play gives a good idea of his ability, strengths and weaknesses. It's a short video.

I'm calling it now, he will be the next Brady Quinn!!

His Senior Bowl play gives a good idea of his ability, strengths and weaknesses. It's a short video.

I like the young man but needs to recognize and release quicker, Something that Mac excels at

Back