Battle of the Bands 2008 - the 60s FINALS

Choose one

• The Beatles

Votes: 34 56.7%
  • The Rolling Stones

Votes: 26 43.3%

• Total voters
Pop vs Rock

Mainstream vs Original Alternative...sorry to see The WHo moved on....

The Stones are my dad's favorite band so that is where my loyalties lie...

Yeah, The Who were my favorite in this bracket.

I would've voted for the who as well if they had made it but alas, i vote for the Beatles.

The Who were never mainstream. hence alas they don't make the finals.

The Beatles are the most influential no denying that. No contest in record sales between the Who and the Beatles. Look how many covers do the beatles..even on soft rock radio stations. Otoh notice Baba O reilly and Wont get fooled Again make it into commercials including time outs at sports stadiums. Clearly more power than Lucy with diamonds.

However no Who, i abstain from voting. :)

Its just are you mainstream or undergound intellectual ;-)

Versus the Who or the Stones?

I think you could make a case that the Stones have changed rock just as much as the Beatles have.

Both.

The stones are basically and R&B band. They were played at parties and great to drink and dance to so I don't think they changed rock as much as just being at the forefront.

The Beatles othoh were revolutionary. better harmonies. The song wrtitings were much more creative. Even their songs were taken as instrumentals to be used everywhere including in dentist offices:)

By wordly rights.
1. Beatles - the most creative and revoultionary in music change.
2. Stones- hardcore rock (in its time) popular at parties.
3. Who - punk band before there was punk. Underground way ahead of its time but only a select minority following which is typical of underground ala Andy Warhol. Leaders in music innovations (feedback,sythesiser,lasers) all used by other groups including the Beatles and Stones.

I voted for the Beatles. It was a close one but I took into consideration that the Monkees were one of their major infulences.

The Who were never mainstream. hence alas they don't make the finals.

The Beatles are the most influential no denying that. No contest in record sales between the Who and the Beatles. Look how many covers do the beatles..even on soft rock radio stations. Otoh notice Baba O reilly and Wont get fooled Again make it into commercials including time outs at sports stadiums. Clearly more power than Lucy with diamonds.

However no Who, i abstain from voting. :)

Its just are you mainstream or undergound intellectual ;-)

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying that the Who have more power because their songs are in commercials and at sporting events???

Because if that's the case.... Beatles' songs have been used in a lot more commercials and as TV theme songs than The Who's. :Lecture:

And, as I mentioned in another thread, Pete Townshend was greatly influenced by The Kinks and Ray Davies, so if you're praising The Who, than you have to praise The Kinks.

Without Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds, would we have ever had Pink Floyd?

Pink Floyd was formed before Lucy was recorded.

Versus the Who or the Stones?

I think you could make a case that the Stones have changed rock just as much as the Beatles have.

Agreed. The Beatles brought English rock and roll to America, but The Stones brought rock, blues rock, and a totally different sound that has continued for 45+ years. They have always maintained an edginess in a world where music changes every ten years or so. They have longevity and incredible musical genius.

The Stones are the single-most legendary band in the last 4 1/2 decades, IMO.

Yes, but Floyd was recording Piper at Abbey Road, down the hall from The Beatles who were recording Sgt. Pepper. Who knows what kind of influence was going on there. ;)

Yes, it could have even went the other way. ;)

Thanks UT....most people do not know much about Floyd pre Dark Side...heck I love the band and I don't have much before Dark Side either...

See, I'm in the minority because Piper is my fave Floyd album. As great as Floyd was, and they are great, neither Roger or David were Syd.

Which I guess is a good thing or no one would have been writing or playing the music.

Back