Bears are trading their team - Pats acquire LB Jon Bostic

This is what Pat's Pulpit had to say.

Why Would the Patriots Trade a 6th Round Pick for Jon Bostic if They Have Jerod Mayo?

By Rich Hill  @PP_Rich_Hill on Sep 29, 2015

The New England Patriots just picked up another linebacker for the roster...but why?

he New England Patriots traded a 6th round pick to the Chicago Bears for linebacker Jon Bostic. The trade is still pending Bostic passing a physical. Bostic was a 2nd round pick in 2013 out of the University of Florida.

Why?

The Patriots already have their starting two linebackers in Jamie Collins and Dont'a Hightower. Jerod Mayo is the best linebacker to have coming off the bench. Jonathan Freeney and Dekoda Watson are core special teams players. What will Bostic add to this defense? Why was this trade initiated?

The Bears are going through a rebuilding process

The 0-3 Bears are under new leadership and the current coaching staff is trying to figure out which players they want to carry forward, and which ones they want to ship away. Bostic dealt with injuries over the offseason so he was unable to practice in the team's new 3-4 defense after spending time as the middle linebacker in the prior regime's 4-3 defense.

This is exactly the same reason why the Titans were willing and able to send away Akeem Ayers for cheap during the 2014 season. Ayers wasn't a fit, the Patriots traded away almost nothing from a draft perspective to acquire him, and Ayers was a key player in the New England Super Bowl run. Bad teams are willing to get rid of players that won't have a role on their team in order to receiver draft capital.

The price was fantastic and the Patriots won't lose anything

The Patriots traded away a 6th round pick, which Bill Belichick historically treats as capital to obtain preferred free agents in the draft. In the past 10 seasons, the Patriots have selected in the 6th round a whopping 18 times. The fruit?

2006: DT LeKevin Smith is active for 31 games between 2006 and 2008 and collects 13 tackles on defense.

2007: DB Mike Richardson is active for 10 games in 2008 and collects 15 tackles on defense.

2009: DT Myron Pryor is active for 24 games between 2009 and 2011 with 2 starts, and picks up 20 tackles and 1 sack. LS Jake Ingram snapped for a 24 games between 2009 and 2010 before the Patriots moved on.

2012: DB Nate Ebner is active for 42 games between 2012 and 2015 and picks up 11 tackles on defense.

2014: DL Zach Moore is active for 8 games in 2014 and assists on 4 tackles and half a sack.

Six players (33%) have worked out for even the smallest amount of time. Not the most rewarding of draft positions. The 6th round rarely pans out, and the Patriots just picked up a former 2nd round pick that was successful one year ago.

The 6th and 7th rounds are treated spaghetti style where more picks are more valuable. But if you can use one of these picks on a proven player, you make that trade every time.

The Patriots will still have picks in the 6th round

The Patriots are projected to pick up 2016 compensatory picks in the 3rd round, from Darrelle Revis, and three picks in the 6th round, from Vince Wilfork, Shane Vereen, and mid-season trade inspiration Akeem Ayers.

So even if New England moves their 6th round pick, they'll still have three untradeable draft picks to use in the same general draft frame.

Oh, and they have the Texans pick after sending a 5th to Houston for Keshawn Martin and a 6th.

Bostic is extremely versatile and will play

Bostic was a cornerback and safety in high school, he plays every linebacker spot, and he's been miscast with the Bears as they transition to a 3-4 defense. The 6'1, 245 lbs linebacker was 2nd on the 2014 Chicago Bears in tackles, so he's able to produce on the field.

He has played all three linebacker spots and can back up every position, while offering value on special teams. The Patriots linebackers have really struggled in coverage this season and Bostic gives the Patriots another athletic linebacker (4.59 speed, 6.99 3 cone!) to help when the team needs better defense at the second level.

Every coach seems to love his leadership and football IQ

"He's always had very good football smarts and real command of the defense. I think his leadership skills are improving as he's moving forward and that's just a natural progression as a senior and you have been playing and have the experience." - Former University of Florida and Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator and current Atlanta Falcons head coach Dan Quinn

"He's a conscientious guy, Jon is. You see him in the meeting room taking notes." - Quinn

"I think Jon Bostic is playing as well as any linebacker in the country. He's playing really well and he disengages on blocks... He's always been a really good player in space. He can play every down. He can cover, and there's not a lot of guys that can play inside and can cover and play on third down. He can. He's very intelligent. The other thing about Jon, and I try to get our players to understand, it's a 53-man roster in the NFL. You better play special teams. Jon is on our punt team, he's helped us on kickoff. He does a lot of other things that bring value to him in the organization." - Former University of Florida head coach Will Muschamp

Belichick mentioned Bostic in anticipation of last season's Pats-Bears game pic.twitter.com/rbdXyOzZXd
— Jeff Howe (@jeffphowe) September 29, 2015​

Bostic still offers plenty of upside

The linebacker just turned 24. He's almost exactly one year younger than Jamie Collins. He's still on his upward trajectory and the Patriots will have him under control through the end of the 2016 season.

There are three linebackers in the class of 2013 that have 100+ tackles and at least one interception: 1st round pick Alec Ogletree, Jamie Collins, and Jon Bostic.

Bostic still has untapped potential.

What player is the odd man out?

With Freeney receiving a one-year extension, that makes Watson the odd-linebacker out. The Patriots could also compensate by moving one of their inactives like RB Travaris Cadet, who is firmly behind James White in the depth chart, or CB Bradley Fletcher. The emergence of Jordan Richards could also make S Tavon Wilson expendable.

It's important to note that Bostic's contract runs through 2016. If Jerod Mayo doesn't return after this season, Bostic would assume the role as the team's 3rd linebacker and could play well enough to earn a quality contract in free agency that would allow the Patriots to pick up a compensatory pick.

As Watson was just re-signed on September 16th, smart money would be on him being the odd man out, but don't count out New England making another trade.

So they seem to think he has coverage skills and isn't just a run stopper.

If he's a High football IQ guy, BB will find a way to use him.

I thought I read somewhere that coverage was one of his weaknesses.

:shrug_n:

Coverage is Mayo's weakness, too, and Mayo has a cap hit next year close to $11M which won't happen. Bostic is signed through 2016.

Reports say the Bears are listening to offers for both RB Matt Forte and WR Alshon Jeffery. Both are set to be FA's after this season. I doubt BB would be interested in AJeffery bc of his price

Reports say the Bears are listening to offers for both RB Matt Forte and WR Alshon Jeffery. Both are set to be FA's after this season. I doubt BB would be interested in AJeffery bc of his price

Ditto Forte.

Although I'd loooooooooove to see Alshon Jeffery here, as opposed to Homeless Man's Alshon Jeffery.

Forte to the Jests and Jeffery to the Ratbirds.

The Bears will try and trade them out of the conference. The Jests and Ratbirds will overpay.

Jay Cutler will still suck.

That is all.....

The Bears will try and trade them out of the conference. The Jests and Ratbirds will overpay.

That is all.....

The Jets are kinda set at RB, imo.

Good question. Hooman, Cadet, CB Fletcher, LB DWatson or Rufus Johnson are all possibles.

edit: LB Dekoda Watson most probable.

I thought it would be between johnson or watson. There both probably be gone when Fletcher gets off thd pup.

That is all.....

The Ravens only have $3M in cap space so Jeffery would be a stretch

Not a bad read at all. Thanks.

Bostic sounds like a Patriot and it was interesting hearing him on the drubbing the Pats laid on his Bears last year when he was on the sidelines with an injury.

I was wondering if he was a special teamer in Chicago and, yes, he plays them all. I don't know what kind of a coverage guy Bostic is, but I did notice that recently-extended Jonathan Freeny was picked on consistently during preseason in coverage, so it'll be interesting to see which one gets reps if we need to promote somebody due to injury, etc.

I like the trade, but am getting concerned as to what we will end up with for draft picks next year. Of course, we have no 1st rounder, but there have been several draft pick trades over the last few months for guys like Michael Williams, Keshawn Martin and Bostic. I've realize we're getting some compensatory picks for Revis, Wilfork, etc., but it's a bit unusual.

I like that Bostic has played with Easley. I was unaware, not following College ball. Probably not amount to anything concrete, but it may help in his settling in.

I expect to see BB wheeling and dealing with draft picks. The usual. Need to compensate somewhere, somehow for the lost picks!

Back