Bears are trading their team - Pats acquire LB Jon Bostic

Not a bad read at all. Thanks.

Bostic sounds like a Patriot and it was interesting hearing him on the drubbing the Pats laid on his Bears last year when he was on the sidelines with an injury.

I was wondering if he was a special teamer in Chicago and, yes, he plays them all. I don't know what kind of a coverage guy Bostic is, but I did notice that recently-extended Jonathan Freeny was picked on consistently during preseason in coverage, so it'll be interesting to see which one gets reps if we need to promote somebody due to injury, etc.

I like the trade, but am getting concerned as to what we will end up with for draft picks next year. Of course, we have no 1st rounder, but there have been several draft pick trades over the last few months for guys like Michael Williams, Keshawn Martin and Bostic. I've realize we're getting some compensatory picks for Revis, Wilfork, etc., but it's a bit unusual.

Bills generally ahead of the curve here.

Maybe this is a sign of how he views the draft class? Weak.

Giving up a 6th for a former 2nd who's still on a rookie deal and plays all STs and was among his team lead in tackles before a defense redo is the quintessential BB team building concept.

Should be an absolute steal.

Timed in the bye week to boot. Anyone else think he's probably going to have a 60 hr week in the meeting room with his positional coach?

I'm glad to have Bostic if only for his STs play but I'm not underestimating his value next year when he possibly takes over for Mayo who has a scheduled $10M cap hit for 2016. $10M? That's not happening.

I like the trade, but am getting concerned as to what we will end up with for draft picks next year. Of course, we have no 1st rounder, but there have been several draft pick trades over the last few months for guys like Michael Williams, Keshawn Martin and Bostic. I've realize we're getting some compensatory picks for Revis, Wilfork, etc., but it's a bit unusual.

Not having a 1st sucks, but in the late Rounds the Patriots will have a ton of picks. They traded a 5th for Martin and a 6th so essentially they lost a few spots, but no pick. They traded a 6th for Bostic. They received a 7th for Mallett. So that's 6 picks right now, and the Patriots will receive four comp picks (a 3rd and three late rounders). That's 10 picks, four of which can't be traded.

Nothing I like better than watching the Bears implode. Being stuck in , uhhhh Bear's Country, I like watching the Illinois rednecks crying in their Bud light about it

Bills generally ahead of the curve here.

Maybe this is a sign of how he views the draft class? Weak.

Giving up a 6th for a former 2nd who's still on a rookie deal and plays all STs and was among his team lead in tackles before a defense redo is the quintessential BB team building concept.

Should be an absolute steal.

Timed in the bye week to boot. Anyone else think he's probably going to have a 60 hr week in the meeting room with his positional coach?

Could be. That and he's short a pick. But even for that this is pretty aggressive stuff.

Meant to toss this out there earlier this week.

Bostic plays a position where the Patriots already have top-of-the-line starters (Hightower, Collins) and decent depth (Mayo, etc).

The though I had was whether or not this means anything relative to Mayo's situation. I'm guessing that he hasn't been happy (but would never be vocal about it) with a lack of playing time between Collins and Hightower leading the group now. The torch has officially passed there, I think.

As respected and liked as Mayo is within the organization, his salary is jumping in 2016, and I don't see how the Patriots could possibly pay him what he's due to make. Instead of hanging on to him and then cutting him if he won't restructure, do you think there's any chance this means that Mayo is trade bait right now? And are there LB needy teams out there who'd over-pay for a guy who is making good money but has a recent history of season-ending injuries?

Bostic plays a position where the Patriots already have top-of-the-line starters (Hightower, Collins) and decent depth (Mayo, etc).

The though I had was whether or not this means anything relative to Mayo's situation. I'm guessing that he hasn't been happy (but would never be vocal about it) with a lack of playing time between Collins and Hightower leading the group now. The torch has officially passed there, I think.

As respected and liked as Mayo is within the organization, his salary is jumping in 2016, and I don't see how the Patriots could possibly pay him what he's due to make. Instead of hanging on to him and then cutting him if he won't restructure, do you think there's any chance this means that Mayo is trade bait right now? And are there LB needy teams out there who'd over-pay for a guy who is making good money but has a recent history of season-ending injuries?

somebody would have to be real desperate to trade for an old, slow, oft injured linebacker who next year will cost a ton of cap space to keep.

if somebody needed a linebacker that bad right now then why not trade a 6th with the bears for Bostic?

I have to disagree with you on the depth at linebacker.

There isn't any. Considering there are 3 to 4 on the field on virtually all snaps, I found it a bit strange that we went into the season with relatively few, but I'm aware that some of our bakers dozen of listed DEs can stand up in a pinch not that any of them will able to cover anybody unless Rex decides to start featuring Matt Mulligan more in the passing game. I think even Siliga could cover him.

One of big three LBs is likely to miss some time this year. We needed somebody besides Dekoda Watson and Freeny.

Not having a 1st sucks, but in the late Rounds the Patriots will have a ton of picks. They traded a 5th for Martin and a 6th so essentially they lost a few spots, but no pick. They traded a 6th for Bostic. They received a 7th for Mallett. So that's 6 picks right now, and the Patriots will receive four comp picks (a 3rd and three late rounders). That's 10 picks, four of which can't be traded.

Thank you for the detail.

I went on a couple of sites to try and figure it out and several of the trades were listed as "undisclosed" so I wasn't too sure where we were with the next draft, but 10 picks makes me feel better.

I also hate not having a first rounder to play with. It's going to suck to have our first pick at 64.

:thumb:

I also hate not having a first rounder to play with. It's going to suck to have our first pick at 64.

:thumb:

The price of being in everyone's head. I'd rather have that than being like the Jets.

Back