Belichick goes deep when topic is teaching NFL's thick rulebook

Mazz22

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies.
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england...ep-when-topic-is-teaching-nfls-thick-rulebook

This is a great read on how Bill prepares the team to know the NFL's rulebook. This was obviously asked given the Lions/Hawks game on Monday.

I think it is pretty cool that Bill has decided to give these type of lengthy answers this season to peel back even more how he prepares this team to win every week. First, we had "Do Your Job" which may have been the best football show on how coaching wins championships that I have ever seen and now this season with Bill opening up more at his pressers. I am really digging this approach as it lets people see why the Pats have been so great for 15 years instead of just dismissing their success as cheating. The more Bill can continue to tout his prowess especially when the league screws up like it did Monday, the better.

Pete Carroll admitted he didn't know the rule.

It's one thing for players not to know/remember, but a head coach?? :spock:

Pete Carroll admitted he didn't know the rule.

It's one thing for players not to know/remember, but a head coach?? :spock:

Carroll really should just stop talking this season. My goodness. Insert foot in mouth time and time again after THE CALL.

Am I the only one that thinks BB's "sudden" openness could signal the beginning of the end of his coaching career?

The "New England Way" has always been to keep info as contained as possible, because the Patriots have been the best at exploiting angles, finding advantages, etc. as it relates to the rules.

The fact that BB feels he no longer needs to be so secretive, and allowing other coaches to see further behind the veil than they have in the past concerns me.

Then again, it could be a classic BB mind-f*ck - you think you know, but you really don't know.

Which brings to mind this classic from Jim Mora: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHipzGL4dwM

When and if BB ever devolved to this level, that would truly be the end.

Am I the only one that thinks BB's "sudden" openness could signal the beginning of the end of his coaching career?

The "New England Way" has always been to keep info as contained as possible, because the Partiots have been the best at exploiting angles, finding advantages, etc. as it relates to the rules.

The fact that BB feels he no longer needs to be so secretive, and allowing other coaches to see further behind the veil than they have in the past concerns me.

Then again, it could be a classic BB mind-f*ck - you think you know, but you really don't know.

Which brings to mind this classic from Jim Mora: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHipzGL4dwM

When and if BB ever devolved to this level, that would truly be the end.

I believe it is just the opposite. After the crap storm that was this off-season, I believe the Pats PR/COMs team told Bill that him being so secretive only adds to the perception of the team cheating to win. So I believe this turn around is more to do with resetting perceptions and allowing the public to see why the Pats have been so great. And he really is not giving away any secrets as much as explaining how the Pats do things which is pretty cool especially when compared the disarray of other teams.

I also believe "Do Your Job" was Bill's way of making sure his success is documented in NFL history. He is an historian of the game and understands that his legacy is worth cementing.

I believe he coaches the Pats until Brady hands them up. He would be a fool to walk away before then as they have a real chance to be the first duo with 5.

I believe it is just the opposite. After the crap storm that was this off-season, I believe the Pats PR/COMs team told Bill that him being so secretive only adds to the perception of the team cheating to win. So I believe this turn around is more to do with resetting perceptions and allowing the public to see why the Pats have been so great. And he really is not giving away any secrets as much as explaining how the Pats do things which is pretty cool especially when compared the disarray of other teams.

I also believe "Do Your Job" was Bill's way of making sure his success is documented in NFL history. He is an historian of the game and understands that his legacy is worth cementing.

I believe he coaches the Pats until Brady hands them up. He would be a fool to walk away before then as they have a real chance to be the first duo with 5.

I agree with am on this. There was a brief discussion on the topic of BB's sudden "media friendly" attitude a few weeks ago. I think he realizes that he has many times gone too far in his media stonewalling and that has led to animosity both to him and to the team.

I do think he can see the end of his career somewhere on the horizon and perhaps he's setting a stage for the narrative that will come with his retirement. But I think it's still at least a few years away. I'm guessing he'll want to continue coaching post-Brady to show that it wasn't all just the QB.

BB could reveal all his state secrets and there would still be a bunch of coaches who wouldn't implement anything the way he does things. Not that they all have to be BB clones, as we've seen his coaching tree try it and fail, but even in a copycat league I'd bet that some coaches would merely ignore Bill's revelations and continue doing things their way, which may be successful, but not as successful as Belichick. :bow:

I also like seeing tweets from guys like Colvin and Stallworth showing how the Patriots do things: Colvin's underscored Bill's attention to detail and knowledge of the rulebook and Stallworth talked about the difference between Brady and Tannehill and how they treated the practice squad guys.

BB could reveal all his state secrets and there would still be a bunch of coaches who wouldn't implement anything the way he does things. Not that they all have to be BB clones, as we've seen his coaching tree try it and fail, but even in a copycat league I'd bet that some coaches would merely ignore Bill's revelations and continue doing things their way, which may be successful, but not as successful as Belichick. :bow:

Not only that, but they still don't really know how he teaches the info. Granted some of his assistants may have tried to implement it elsewhere, but they don't have the staff cohesiveness BB does, because BB "hand raises" most of his assistants and cross trains them (which is brilliant).

The other thing about BB which I rarely see discussed that I thought of the other day watching a game and hearing the announcers talking about Harbawl's background (they said he's the only guy who was a ST coach to be a head coach but they were wrong, BB was a ST coach at one point too I believe) and how that meant he could really "get" ST is that BB is the only coach I can think of whom I believe could coach any position on the field, and call plays for either side of the ball. That alone makes him more prepared. As well as his cross trained staff.

Regarding the kindler gentler BB.

I'm not sure the "Do Your Job" video was much more revealing than the "Football Life" video he did before.

IMHO, the key point is they were NFL Films productions and he respects those guys.

I haven't watched his press conferences so I can't tell if he's "more open" than in the past.

As far as I know, he's always been willing to go into long answers if the press ask the right kind of questions.

We had a thread when Jerry first got he WEEI gig where Hawg was going to collect such questions and give them to Jerry to ask BB.

Regarding "giving away" secrets, if teaching the rule book and practicing 'situations" so the players aren't surprised, is something any other NFL coach would never think of, then they're dumber than I thought and BB is a regular Norman Einstein.

Not only that, but they still don't really know how he teaches the info. Granted some of his assistants may have tried to implement it elsewhere, but they don't have the staff cohesiveness BB does, because BB "hand raises" most of his assistants and cross trains them (which is brilliant).

The other thing about BB which I rarely see discussed that I thought of the other day watching a game and hearing the announcers talking about Harbawl's background (they said he's the only guy who was a ST coach to be a head coach but they were wrong, BB was a ST coach at one point too I believe) and how that meant he could really "get" ST is that BB is the only coach I can think of whom I believe could coach any position on the field, and call plays for either side of the ball. That alone makes him more prepared. As well as his cross trained staff.

In addition, genius aside, Bill is programed to HARD work always and to total commitment to detail. And only hires staff willing (make that NEEDING) to do the same. Bills M. O. (imo) is way to hard for many coaching staffs to even dream of replicating.

Bill's legacy was forged at the intersection of intellect and commitment. His Venn diagram re these two traits appears at first glance to be one single ciercle.

Cheers. BostonTim

BB is one of the rare people who hires his son and I never think, damn, I am sure Stephen is getting an easy ride at daddy's workplace while he figures out what he really wants to do.

His leadership is also underrated. I mean stories about how he would stuff his own money in Pioli's ashtray when Pioli was a grunt in Cle because he knew how things were when you were a low level assistant. Or giving Milloy his hotel room at SB36 and Milloy's never finding out it was BB's room until he remarked to BB about the exercise equipment in his room, etc. He has that military idea of "leadership means working for your people". He always gives credit to the players, never downtalks them in the press, and never uptalks himself, but will critique himself. And he has a QB who is his doppelganger. We are such spoiled people. wuv

He's the best. If the team screws up he stands up in front of the media and says it was his fault and that he has to do a better job coaching.

When his players do well and they win say a SB he'll say its a players game, they're the ones who do it, who make the plays, the tackles etc.

You can be damn sure the players hear this and must really appreciate it. It would surely make them try even harder for him. I remember Jules after the SB win hugging BB and saying he'd do anything for you coach. BB just simply said you're the guys who do it.

It's BS in many ways of course because more then it ever has been, this is a coaches league.

When BB is enshrined in Canton, I'll try everything I can tpnbe there.

Regarding the kindler gentler BB.

I'm not sure the "Do Your Job" video was much more revealing than the "Football Life" video he did before.

IMHO, the key point is they were NFL Films productions and he respects those guys.

I haven't watched his press conferences so I can't tell if he's "more open" than in the past.

As far as I know, he's always been willing to go into long answers if the press ask the right kind of questions.

We had a thread when Jerry first got he WEEI gig where Hawg was going to collect such questions and give them to Jerry to ask BB.

Regarding "giving away" secrets, if teaching the rule book and practicing 'situations" so the players aren't surprised, is something any other NFL coach would never think of, then they're dumber than I thought and BB is a regular Norman Einstein.
This ^

Let a reporter ask him about injuries, and see how much info they get.

:coffee:

I agree with am on this. There was a brief discussion on the topic of BB's sudden "media friendly" attitude a few weeks ago. I think he realizes that he has many times gone too far in his media stonewalling and that has led to animosity both to him and to the team.

I do think he can see the end of his career somewhere on the horizon and perhaps he's setting a stage for the narrative that will come with his retirement. But I think it's still at least a few years away. I'm guessing he'll want to continue coaching post-Brady to show that it wasn't all just the QB.

I hope.

I also like to see BB PR minded & opening up more to the media to eliminate some of the paranoia from fans, players and coaches of the other 31. Show them how well the Pats players are prepared then let the other 31 fans raise hell against their own lousy coaches. It's not cheating...it's preparation!

He's always answered good questions with long answers so that's nothing new.

:toast:

http://nesn.com/2015/10/bill-belichick-cracks-snapface-joke-at-patriots-press-conference/

FOXBORO, Mass. — Bill Belichick invented yet another form of social media Wednesday. The New England Patriots head coach noted during his press conference at Gillette Stadium that Dallas Cowboys linebacker Sean Lee used to visit as a kid when Belichick was the head coach of the Cleveland Browns back in the early 1990s. The revelation prompted a follow-up question minutes later and a classic Belichick response. “Did I hear you right that you said Sean Lee had visited you in Cleveland, or did I miss that? What was the connection?” ESPN.com’s Mike Reiss asked. It was a perfectly reasonable question, seeing as how Belichick never elaborated on his familiarity with young Sean, instead focusing on the 29-year-old linebacker’s game-changing skills for the Cowboys. But Belichick’s rebuttal was everything you’d expect from the stoic head coach. “What were you, on SnapFace there or whatever you’re talking about?” Belichick said with a grin. The comeback drew laughter from reporters in attendance, though his mishap — was he going for SnapChat or Facebook (two forms of social media that actually exist)? — isn’t all that surprising. This is a man who has referenced MyFace, YourFace, InstantFace and Yearbook — other faux platforms — in previous interviews. Nevertheless, Belichick finally shed light on his history with Lee once the laughter died down. “He’s a Pittsburgh guy, a friend of a friend-type thing, he came out to practices a couple of times,” Belichick said. “He wasn’t the star that he is now.” Go ahead and tell your friends on FaceSpace.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2015/10/bill-belichick-cracks-snapface-joke-at-patriots-press-conference/

Snap!

:toast:

http://nesn.com/2015/10/bill-belichick-cracks-snapface-joke-at-patriots-press-conference/

FOXBORO, Mass. — Bill Belichick invented yet another form of social media Wednesday. The New England Patriots head coach noted during his press conference at Gillette Stadium that Dallas Cowboys linebacker Sean Lee used to visit as a kid when Belichick was the head coach of the Cleveland Browns back in the early 1990s. The revelation prompted a follow-up question minutes later and a classic Belichick response. “Did I hear you right that you said Sean Lee had visited you in Cleveland, or did I miss that? What was the connection?” ESPN.com’s Mike Reiss asked. It was a perfectly reasonable question, seeing as how Belichick never elaborated on his familiarity with young Sean, instead focusing on the 29-year-old linebacker’s game-changing skills for the Cowboys. But Belichick’s rebuttal was everything you’d expect from the stoic head coach. “What were you, on SnapFace there or whatever you’re talking about?” Belichick said with a grin. The comeback drew laughter from reporters in attendance, though his mishap — was he going for SnapChat or Facebook (two forms of social media that actually exist)? — isn’t all that surprising. This is a man who has referenced MyFace, YourFace, InstantFace and Yearbook — other faux platforms — in previous interviews. Nevertheless, Belichick finally shed light on his history with Lee once the laughter died down. “He’s a Pittsburgh guy, a friend of a friend-type thing, he came out to practices a couple of times,” Belichick said. “He wasn’t the star that he is now.” Go ahead and tell your friends on FaceSpace.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2015/10/bill-belichick-cracks-snapface-joke-at-patriots-press-conference/

Snap!

Evolution of Bill Belichick's social media:
Myface
Yourface
Instantface
Snapface

http://es.pn/1L6QEHH

Back