Belichick on wanting to keep Brady

The buildup to Tom Brady’s return to Gillette Stadium for the Week 4 Buccaneers-Patriots matchup has already begun, with a primary focus centering on the veteran quarterback’s decision to leave New England as a free agent in 2020.

During his weekly call on WEEI’s “The Greg Hill Show” on Monday morning, the subject of Brady was brought up multiple times.

In one exchange, Belichick was reminded of how many times he said over the years that there was no other quarterback he’d rather have than Brady.

So, Belichick was asked, when did that change?

“It never changed,” Belichick replied.

In a follow-up question, the Patriots’ coach was asked if he had still wanted Brady to re-sign after the 2019 season (Brady’s last in New England).

“Yeah, well I think we’ve been through all the dynamics of that,” said Belichick. “There were a lot of things there that, you know, he looked at his options and made a decision.

“We weren’t as good an option as Tampa,” added Belichick, “so I mean you’d have to ask him about all of that, but it wasn’t a question of not wanting him. That’s for sure.”

Brady eventually signed with the Buccaneers on a two-year contract.

On the prospect of facing his longtime quarterback, Belichick paid tribute to the 44-year-old.

“Tom and I had I feel like a good relationship and a lot of production obviously while we were together,” said Belichick. “I enjoyed coaching Tom. He was a great player for us.”

Still, Belichick maintained focus on the Patriots vs. Buccaneers matchup overall, as opposed to the Brady-specific aspects of it.

“Sunday night, we line across from Tampa, and you know not just [Brady], but the entire team,” Belichick explained. “They’re obviously a very good team, so that’s all about our team competing against Tampa’s team. That’s like it is every week. But there are guys on New Orleans — Chris Hogan — there are guys every week that have been on our team or guys that have been on our team that are on their team.

“Certainly Tom’s a special player,” noted Belichick. “I’m not trying to put him in the same category as a guy who was here for a year or something like that, but at the same time, you compete against the team that you’re playing against and that’s what you do.”

Sounds like a bit of revisionist history there from Bill. If they wanted him, there were several occasions where they could have signed him going back to 2017 after the traded Jimmy. They didn’t.

Overall though, I thought Bill's answers were really good and set a good tone for the week. I just hope Brady's dad does not pop off again. LOL

Last edited:
Sounds like a bit of revisionist history there from Bill. If they wanted him, there were several occasions where they could have signed him going back to 2017 after the traded Jimmy. They didn’t.

Overall though, I thought Bill's answers were really good and set a good tone for the week. I just hope Brady's dad does not pop off again. LOL

Tom Jackson sez

Untitled.jpg

It was actually a really good interview. Curtis knocked it out of the park. I really thought Bill's answers are thoughtful and a good tone setter. I don't know if it will stay that way. I don't expect him to say anything inflammatory or Brady for that matter but everyone else close to them might. The media just can't leave it alone.

Great follow up from Curran today. He tried to get the specifics from Bill but he deflected.

1632753553021.png

Let's say that they kept TFB. Paid him what Tampa paid him. Would the team be any better last year or this year?
Or, would we be watching 43,44 year old QB getting killed almost every week?

Let's say that they kept TFB. Paid him what Tampa paid him. Would the team be any better last year or this year?
Or, would we be watching 43,44 year old QB getting killed almost every week?
That is a bit of a red herring. If the Patriots had extended Brady back in 2017/2018 before he hit FA then they are not paying him what Tampa did and they could have managed his contract accordingly and spread it out.

In terms of the Patriots team, I think it is abundantly clear IMO that Bill has become a terrible GM. This team is worse than last year with better QB play. I am also starting to wonder if he has checked out from coaching too. Bedard said in TC that he was taking a back seat to Patricia. It sure looks like something has changed drastically.

That is a red herring. If the Patriots had extended Brady back in 2017/2018 before he hit FA then they are not paying him what Tampa did and they could have managed his contract accordingly and spread it out.

In terms of the Patriots team, I think it is abundantly clear that Bill has become a terrible GM. This team is worse than last year with better QB play. I am also starting to wonder if he has checked out from coaching too. Bedard said in TC that he was taking a back seat to Patricia. It sure looks like something has changed drastically.
Christ, here comes the broken record.
Didn't answer the question, instead posted the same thing you've posted 100 times.

Christ, here comes the broken record.
Didn't answer the question, instead posted the same thing you've posted 100 times.
You just keep continuing to ignore the obvious.
If Brady stays Bill builds the team differently. He does not punt on last season.

You just keep continuing to ignore the obvious.
If Brady stays Bill builds the team differently. He does not punt on last season.
So, all the players that left in FA and opted out would not have happened? And Jules would not have been injured and then retired?
And several of the coaches and personnel staff would not have left for advancement?
I deal in the real world, not the world of conjecture and fantasy.
I'll point out the compete contradiction in your reply. You are saying that BB, the awful GM, would have built a better team if TFB had stayed. LMAO

So, all the players that left in FA and opted out would not have happened? And Jules would not have been injured and then retired?
And several of the coaches and personnel staff would not have left for advancement?
I deal in the real world, not the world of conjecture and fantasy.
I'll point out the compete contradiction in your reply. You are saying that BB, the awful GM, would have built a better team if TFB had stayed. LMAO
Again, you are missing the entire point. Brady wanted to stay. He was willing to go through the rebuild like he had back in 2009-2013. He wanted to finish his career as a Patriot. He had won six rings. His goal as he stated for years was to play until age 45. He did not want to go year to year anymore. He wanted a real contract. He had earned that. Bill did not want to give that to him nor did he have any viable replacement. It became personal for Bill which is unfortunate as he looks like an utter clown now with Brady coming in Sunday night as defending SB champion and SB MVP.

If you are asking me if we would have been a better team with Brady? Absolutely. We would not have been 7-9 last year and we would not be 1-2 this year staring at 1-3.

Back